Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Continuity Errors in TTT?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-23-02, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many people noticed continuity errors in TTT? What are they?

The first error I noticed was Frodo's scream in the begining. In FOTR, he screams after Gandalf falls. In TTT, he screams before he falls!

Another error a friend told me about was a while after Merry (or was it Pippin? ) pulled off his leaf brooch and spit it out. Later, during the orc battle, my friend said they both had their brooches on.

Finally, the last thing I noticed was Sam and Frodo's brooches would flip directions almost every scene near the end of the movie. I didn't notice if they did that earlier...

BTW, did anyone notice the entry for "Cute Rohan Refugee Children" in the credits? ROFL!
Old 12-23-02, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://us.imdb.com/Goofs?0167261

A friend of mine mentioned Gandalf's horse having a bridle in one scene but not in the next. Or something like that. Anyone else notice horse inconsistancies?

-matt
Old 12-23-02, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Moviemistakes.com
Old 12-23-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

when they enter at king theodens place gandalfs staff points down/up/down between shots
Old 12-23-02, 11:19 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
I am going to deduct half a star from my rating of the film for every mistake pointed out in this thread.
Old 12-24-02, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 120 Likes on 73 Posts
This is from the first one, but I always wondered how Gandalf got his staff back when he escaped from Saruman, since Saruman took it from him.
Old 12-24-02, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just thought of this in the morning. Merry and Pippin have never been to Isengard or Orthanc. How did they know that Saruman had desecrated the trees in order to have treebeard take them there?
Old 12-24-02, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by teplitsa
I just thought of this in the morning. Merry and Pippin have never been to Isengard or Orthanc. How did they know that Saruman had desecrated the trees in order to have treebeard take them there?
Gandalf had been there, he relayed the situation in FOTR, plus they may have overheard orc conversations during their captivity.
Old 12-24-02, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by jim_cook87
Gandalf had been there, he relayed the situation in FOTR, plus they may have overheard orc conversations during their captivity.
Forgot. They also knew the orcs were taking them to saruman since they thought that's who the ents were going to take them to. The White Wizard.
Old 12-24-02, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by Ketamine
Moviemistakes.com
This site blows, 75% of the stuff listed here aren't even mistakes, just nerds pointing out things they don't understand, as opposed to genuine mistakes and continuity errors.

Example:
"How does Faramir know his brother Boromir died, when only Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli were there to witness it? He hadn't met any of them. "
Well, in the BOOK, Faramir finds his brother's body on the shores of the river. Of course they don't have time for this non-essential scene in the movie, so they left it out. Is that a MISTAKE?!, No, its selective screenplay / editing.

One thing mentioned on this site that did kinda bother me was Frodo drawing Sting on Sam. I don't think this could really be considered a mistake, since it was obviously intentional, but it seems Faramir would not let prisoners remain armed.
Old 12-24-02, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by ccoolidge
This site blows, 75% of the stuff listed here aren't even mistakes, just nerds pointing out things they don't understand, as opposed to genuine mistakes and continuity errors.

Example:
"How does Faramir know his brother Boromir died, when only Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli were there to witness it? He hadn't met any of them. "
Well, in the BOOK, Faramir finds his brother's body on the shores of the river. Of course they don't have time for this non-essential scene in the movie, so they left it out. Is that a MISTAKE?!, No, its selective screenplay / editing.

One thing mentioned on this site that did kinda bother me was Frodo drawing Sting on Sam. I don't think this could really be considered a mistake, since it was obviously intentional, but it seems Faramir would not let prisoners remain armed.
Here is one from the website.

"During the battle of Helm's Deep, Legolas never runs out of arrows. In the book, Tolkien constantly has him foraging for his arrows after shooting them, but in the film, the supply in his quiver simply never diminishes."

Like all I want to watch for three hours is Legolas constantly searching for arrows.
Old 12-24-02, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tom Banjo
This is from the first one, but I always wondered how Gandalf got his staff back when he escaped from Saruman, since Saruman took it from him.
He never did get his original staff back. The staff he has later is different. I wish I had some screen caps... but alas...

-matt
Old 12-25-02, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Continuity Errors in TTT?

Originally posted by im2smrt4u

The first error I noticed was Frodo's scream in the begining. In FOTR, he screams after Gandalf falls. In TTT, he screams before he falls!
I noticed the switch of shots, but I was very willing to put up with it for the badass unbroken tracking shot of Gandalf falling through the crevaces!
Old 12-26-02, 08:39 AM

Re: Continuity Errors in TTT?

After watching this again last night, I wouldn't call this a continuity error, without an admission from PJ.

Technically this was a dream sequence. When's the last time you had a dream about a past event that was 100% accurate? While the events Frodo did not witness, but had in his dream, ultimately prove to be an approximation of the facts, he is dreaming so some departures from fact should be expected or at least accepted.
Old 12-26-02, 01:27 PM

Re: Re: Continuity Errors in TTT?

Originally posted by jim_cook87
After watching this again last night, I wouldn't call this a continuity error, without an admission from PJ.

Technically this was a dream sequence. When's the last time you had a dream about a past event that was 100% accurate? While the events Frodo did not witness, but had in his dream, ultimately prove to be an approximation of the facts, he is dreaming so some departures from fact should be expected or at least accepted.
A friend suggested the same thing...I sort of wonder how that accounts for showing what happened to Gandalf. Sure, Frodo wakes up at the end of the sequence, but how could he dream about something that he never heard about? Gandalf explains what happened later on. Movie magic I guess...hehe
Old 12-26-02, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: Continuity Errors in TTT?

A friend suggested the same thing...I sort of wonder how that accounts for showing what happened to Gandalf. Sure, Frodo wakes up at the end of the sequence, but how could he dream about something that he never heard about? Gandalf explains what happened later on. Movie magic I guess...hehe
Or maybe simply magic, period. This is a fantasy after all.
Old 12-26-02, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here is another one I caught. Sam complains about lambas bread, which was only talked about in the EE version of FOTR.

Looks like they had so much scenes shot that they forgot what was going into where.
Old 12-26-02, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I sort of wonder how that accounts for showing what happened to Gandalf. Sure, Frodo wakes up at the end of the sequence, but how could he dream about something that he never heard about?

In the book, Frodo dreams of Gandalf's imprisonment by Saruman at Orthanc before he knows about it or is even out of the Shire.
Old 12-26-02, 11:23 PM

Sam complains about lambas bread, which was only talked about in the EE version of FOTR.
How is this a continuity error? Just because we didn't see him get the bread in the Theatrical Version doesn't mean he doesn't have it.
Old 12-26-02, 11:31 PM

Here is another one I caught. Sam complains about lambas bread, which was only talked about in the EE version of FOTR.

Looks like they had so much scenes shot that they forgot what was going into where.
Not sure why it matters if this was discussed in LOTR or not. No real impact on the story, but a minor issue I guess. I would place that issue in the same catagory that only in the EE did they really explain how Hobbits eat multiple meals during the day, which explained their complaints about not stopping and eating enough.

I think a bigger issue(though still overall minor) is in FOTR when the eagle flies in and saves Gandalf. I hadn't read any of the books before I saw FOTR and this was a WTF scene for me at the time. At the very least I thought it came from left field. After reading The Hobbit, it made sense that they had a previous relationship.

Last edited by Ketamine; 12-26-02 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-27-02, 08:00 AM

I would place that issue in the same catagory that only in the EE did they really explain how Hobbits eat multiple meals during the day, which explained their complaints about not stopping and eating enough.
They explain the multiple meals in the theatrical cut as well. The whole "does he know about second breakfast" conversation.
Old 12-27-02, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
I am going to deduct half a star from my rating of the film for every mistake pointed out in this thread.
Also, Aragorn smokes in one scene, I think that should lower the rating.
Old 12-27-02, 11:51 AM

Ahh, but smoking WHAT is the question?
Old 12-27-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 120 Likes on 73 Posts

I think a bigger issue(though still overall minor) is in FOTR when the eagle flies in and saves Gandalf. I hadn't read any of the books before I saw FOTR and this was a WTF scene for me at the time. At the very least I thought it came from left field. After reading The Hobbit, it made sense that they had a previous relationship.
I always thought that would leave people scratching their heads if they hadn't read the books. In a way, it reminds me of how so many people got confused at the end of the 1st Harry Potter, wondering how the sorceror's stone got in his pocket. That's the bad side of adapting a book to screen- it can be very hard at times to explain why certain things happen the way they do.
Old 12-27-02, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
They explain the multiple meals in the theatrical cut as well. The whole "does he know about second breakfast" conversation.
Yeah, very superficially they did explain, but didn't get into the hobbit way of life like in the EE or the book. But that is my point before, it really is a non-issue as far as telling the story goes and not a continuity error. Just a little extra for the people who already know the story.

Last edited by Ketamine; 12-27-02 at 01:32 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.