Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Continuity Errors in TTT?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Continuity Errors in TTT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-02, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by teplitsa
I just thought of this in the morning. Merry and Pippin have never been to Isengard or Orthanc. How did they know that Saruman had desecrated the trees in order to have treebeard take them there?
Gandalf had been there, he relayed the situation in FOTR, plus they may have overheard orc conversations during their captivity.
Not only that, but Pippin and Merry got a glimpse of it from afar. Watch carefully at the beginning of one of the Treebeard scenes and you will see Orthanc in the distance over the tops of trees; Treebeard is focused on what he is saying while the Hobbits strain to see.
Old 12-28-02, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Re: Continuity Errors in TTT?

Originally posted by im2smrt4u
How many people noticed continuity errors in TTT? What are they?

Another error a friend told me about was a while after Merry (or was it Pippin? ) pulled off his leaf brooch and spit it out. Later, during the orc battle, my friend said they both had their brooches on.

Finally, the last thing I noticed was Sam and Frodo's brooches would flip directions almost every scene near the end of the movie. I didn't notice if they did that earlier...

I used my free ticket from the EE tonite, and I watched for these: nope and nope, Pippin's brooch stays gone, and Frodo and Sam's brooches don't switch, it's just that Sam's points one way, and Frodo's points the other. But I'm pretty sure they stay the same for each respectively.
Old 12-29-02, 10:12 AM

Re: Re: Continuity Errors in TTT?

Originally posted by milo bloom
I used my free ticket from the EE tonite, and I watched for these: nope and nope, Pippin's brooch stays gone, and Frodo and Sam's brooches don't switch, it's just that Sam's points one way, and Frodo's points the other. But I'm pretty sure they stay the same for each respectively.
I noticed that Sam and Frodo's broches always stayed opposite each other as if they were mirrored. I think that was deliberate.

Not quite a continuity error but the horse that Eomer gave Aragorn was named Hasufel. He later calls it Brego, the second King of Rohan. Maybe something was cut where he got another horse. On the battlements of Helms Deep, Aragorn drawsmhis sword with his left hand, but he is right handed and always wore his sword on his left. But I think this was a reverse shot to contrast the angle that the Uruks were on. I've seen it 5 times.
Old 12-29-02, 05:39 PM
Political Exile

Re: Re: Re: Continuity Errors in TTT?

Originally posted by Harlock415
Not quite a continuity error but the horse that Eomer gave Aragorn was named Hasufel. He later calls it Brego, the second King of Rohan. Maybe something was cut where he got another horse.
The Horse that Eomer gave Aragorn was killed in the battle with the Warg Riders. The Horse that finds Aragorn is
Spoiler:
Theodred's horse who is set free before they leave from Theoden's city....from a cut scene
Old 12-29-02, 07:37 PM

Ok, I think I have what could be a real continuity error. In the battle at Helm Deep there is a scene after the Elf commander dies where Aragorn gets angry and grabs the top of one of the ladders and pushes it over onto a bunch of orcs while riding it. What seemed strange about this is that the ladders would only be on the outside of the wall, and therefore Aragorn was throwing himself into a huge group of orcs outside the wall. Then only a few seconds later he is running up the steps into the keep. Sure, this could be explained by off screen actions, but it seemed odd to me.
Old 12-30-02, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by agilliland
Ok, I think I have what could be a real continuity error. In the battle at Helm Deep there is a scene after the Elf commander dies where Aragorn gets angry and grabs the top of one of the ladders and pushes it over onto a bunch of orcs while riding it. What seemed strange about this is that the ladders would only be on the outside of the wall, and therefore Aragorn was throwing himself into a huge group of orcs outside the wall. Then only a few seconds later he is running up the steps into the keep. Sure, this could be explained by off screen actions, but it seemed odd to me.
I just saw the movie again. I'm not sure because i got caught up in the battle but I believe I saw ladders on BOTH sides of the way. The Orcs had to get down from more than one way to make the attack effective.
Old 01-04-03, 07:42 PM

Re: Re: Continuity Errors in TTT?

Originally posted by filmerp
I noticed the switch of shots, but I was very willing to put up with it for the badass unbroken tracking shot of Gandalf falling through the crevaces!
Exactly. This was not a continuity error at all but an intentional switch of shots. Frodo’s scream was rearranged to show Gandalf’s fall unbroken. What a classic Peter Jackson move it was and a great, dramatic way to open the film.
Old 01-08-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Close to finishing reading TTT and came across something else. In the book Faramir says that Gandalf came to visit them while looking for ancient records. In FOTR we see Gandalf visiting an ancient city on a mountainside. Then in TTT Minas Tirith is in a valley split by a river. I assume in FOTR Gandalf was in Minas Tirith like Faramir implied in the book.
Old 01-09-03, 02:14 AM

Yes, The Fellowship of the Ring film actually shows Gandalf in Minas Tirith researching the origin of the One Ring. Peter Jackson points this out in the commentary track on the Extended Edition DVD. He and cohorts also say that they considered showing the titles of geographic locations on-screen to identify them but were afraid it might look too cheesy. In the book of FOTR, Gandalf mentions going to the archives of the citadel in Minas Tirith at the Council of Elrond. Also, Jackson states that about half of his movie of The Return of the King will take place in Minas Tirith.
Old 01-13-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by teplitsa
Close to finishing reading TTT and came across something else. In the book Faramir says that Gandalf came to visit them while looking for ancient records. In FOTR we see Gandalf visiting an ancient city on a mountainside. Then in TTT Minas Tirith is in a valley split by a river. I assume in FOTR Gandalf was in Minas Tirith like Faramir implied in the book.
The city on the hill was Minas Tirith. The city with the river running through it that was under attack in TTT was Osgiliath.

For nitpickers, I highly recommend www.nitpickers.com -- lots of fun. Interesting to choose a movie you like and then read all the comments -- http://www.nitpickers.com/movies/titles/302849.html = TTT

Tuan Jim
Old 01-16-03, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Part of the problem is the fact that this movie (the one we saw at the cinema) was NOT the version that's meant to be TTT. Like LOTR, this version is a cut version.

When you, as a director, realise that there will be two or more versions, which do you film? The whole "finished product" as the director intends or a "completed" film that is perfectly seamless after editting.

Sure, some of the continuity errors ARE errors, but a lot of them are scenes cut for time (for the theatrical release) that will be reinstated for the EE of the DVD.

Even now, I've heard rumors that after all three films are released (and finally out on DVD) there may be an additional set in the works that's 16 - 18 hours long (although from the commentry PJ has said that there was no scouring of the shire filmed). If that's the case, then some of the errors in the EE may actually become null and void after the "definitive" cut.

Ultimately, if you have a perfectly seamless 2 1/2 hour theatrical release and then go onto release a 3 1/2 hour version of the same thing, then the extra hour CAN be considered filler and not integral to the movie.

Me - I'm happy to put up with a few more continuity errors (at the theatrical release) if it means that the EE version of the DVD is a more "complete" version and the extra material isn't just added filler.
Old 01-16-03, 09:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by naughty jonny
Part of the problem is the fact that this movie (the one we saw at the cinema) was NOT the version that's meant to be TTT. Like LOTR, this version is a cut version.

When you, as a director, realise that there will be two or more versions, which do you film? The whole "finished product" as the director intends or a "completed" film that is perfectly seamless after editting.

Sure, some of the continuity errors ARE errors, but a lot of them are scenes cut for time (for the theatrical release) that will be reinstated for the EE of the DVD.

Even now, I've heard rumors that after all three films are released (and finally out on DVD) there may be an additional set in the works that's 16 - 18 hours long (although from the commentry PJ has said that there was no scouring of the shire filmed). If that's the case, then some of the errors in the EE may actually become null and void after the "definitive" cut.

Ultimately, if you have a perfectly seamless 2 1/2 hour theatrical release and then go onto release a 3 1/2 hour version of the same thing, then the extra hour CAN be considered filler and not integral to the movie.

Me - I'm happy to put up with a few more continuity errors (at the theatrical release) if it means that the EE version of the DVD is a more "complete" version and the extra material isn't just added filler.
I just mentioned this in "extra sences in TTT trailer" but the fact that the initial rough cut of the film ran 4 hours, begs to ask what was filmed and ultimately dropped for the sake of the theatrical cut of the film. An hour's worth of film is a lot of footage, granted some of the scenes might have been redundant some of the film's errors and flaws IMO will be greatly enhanced with the extended cut of the film. Early rumoured word is that like FOTR, the Extended edition of "Two Towers" will only reinstate 30 minutes - well, I hope Jackson puts in as much footage back into the film he feels like to, to make this film a tad more coherent and complete. I continually bitch about this but I really hope more of the attack on Helm's Deep and the arrival of Gandalf at the film's conclusion can be elaborated.

Last edited by Giles; 01-16-03 at 09:22 AM.