Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

AFI's picks 2002's best films

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

AFI's picks 2002's best films

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-02, 09:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Pants

As for Shiri, it didn't play theatrically in this country untill 2002. What should I do if I want to honor it? Build a time machine? It got its first theatrical release in the US (and in my town) in 2002, therefore it is eligable for my best of 2002 list.

I also have a severe problem when films get their ultra exclusive NY/LA engagements the previous year before the rest of the country gets to see it. Case in point, "The Devil's Backbone". The film is released in November of 2001, yet the 'wide' release isnt until February (I think) 2002. Excuse me for not living in NY/LA to not include the film as one of the best of 2001, yet because of it's release I technically can't call it the 'best of 2002' either.
Old 12-17-02, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
You couldn't be more wrong. Bridge and Lawrence were both produced by indie British producer Sam Spiegel. They were only distributed by Columbia. If that makes them American then Das Boot is american because it was released by Columbia too.

Also, the 3rd Man was on the AFI list.
Spiegel also produced On The Waterfront and The African Queen. Does that make those British films? The point is the the production of those films were funded by American studios - Das Boot was not.

And The Third Man was produced by David O. Selznick through Rialto Pictures - it doesn't get more American than that.
Old 12-17-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So if Spirited Away was partially funded by Disney, and it has a new dub directed by John Lassiter, wouldn't it count for the list?
Old 12-17-02, 10:59 AM
Banned

Originally posted by slop101
Spiegel also produced On The Waterfront and The African Queen. Does that make those British films? The point is the the production of those films were funded by American studios - Das Boot was not.

And The Third Man was produced by David O. Selznick through Rialto Pictures - it doesn't get more American than that.
The Third Man was produced by Alexander Korda for British Lion Film Corporation and London Film Productions (whose logo is on the head of the film). It was re-cut and released in the US in 1950 by Selznik Releaseing Organization. Just because Selznik had final cut of the American version, and distribution rights in America, I wouldn't neccessarily call it an American film. Rialto didn't exist untill a few years ago. They rereleased the film for its 50th Anniversary.

As for the Lean films, I've seen nothing to indicate that the films were financed by Colombia Pictures on either of the DVD's or any book I've read.

All the argueing in the world doesn't change the fact that these are British films. People percieve them as British films. The principal talent on both sides of the camera was British, and while there may have been some American Studio money backing the films up, they are not products of the American Studio system, nor are they products of an independent American producer or principal financer.

Last edited by Pants; 12-17-02 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-17-02, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F*** "about a Boy"-where's Frailty or Spider-Man?????????????
Old 12-17-02, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My picks, for the record:

1. The Kid Stays in the Picture
2. Punch Drunk Love
3. Hell House
4. Star Wars Ep. II
5. Dogtown and Z-Boys
6. Shiri
7. K-19
8. Bourne Identity
9. Far From Heaven
10.Jackass: The Movie
I'm sure Jackass and Star Wars and K19 and Bourne Identity didn't make the AFI list because they came out too early in the year - those corporate shills. They probably won't be nominated for the same reason.
Old 12-17-02, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jonpeters
F*** "about a Boy"-where's Frailty or Spider-Man?????????????
Yeah f*** About a Boy! Spider-Man rox!!!!!!!!!!!!

where's Star Wars: AOTC's screenplay nomination??????????????? wtf?

Old 12-17-02, 11:57 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Is About a Boy really that good? The adverts made it look like Big Daddy with Hugh Grant stuttering his way through the Adam Sandler role.
Old 12-17-02, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Is About a Boy really that good? The adverts made it look like Big Daddy with Hugh Grant stuttering his way through the Adam Sandler role.
I didn't like it at all.

Spoiler:
The boy singing the "Killing Me Softly" song was ludicrous, not funny or touching.
Old 12-17-02, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
If you liked High Fidelty (w/ John Cusak), you'll like About A Boy. It's based on a book by the same writer (who also helped with the script).
Old 12-17-02, 02:23 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My picks, for the record:

1. The Kid Stays in the Picture
2. Punch Drunk Love
3. Hell House
4. Star Wars Ep. II
5. Dogtown and Z-Boys
6. Shiri
7. K-19
8. Bourne Identity
9. Far From Heaven
10.Jackass: The Movie
I'm I the only one seeing through Pants' humor?

What Pants is doing is called satire. Are you guys blind of what?

Star Wars Ep. II? I saw this squirrel-sucker recently for the first time. It made me lose bowel control. God did it suck royally. That brat who plays whiny-whiner Darth Teenager? Hilarious stuff. Anakin: "But, haaaaaaaaaay! I'm tired of Obi-Wan's pushing me around, like, staying stuff and like, barking orders.. I want to have a mustache."

Remember that bad tv sitcom, Dinosaurs? At one point it seems one of those Dinosaurs' character meet Obi-Wan in a cantina. That sequence feels like a cross between Re-Boot and Free Willy 2.

How could anyone think Pants could be serious by putting such trash in his best of list? I always know how to detect sarcasm.

I would suggest adding Road to Perdition to your funny list.

Hey Pants, have you read my number on Spielberg and his obsession with toothbrushes? Same style than yours.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ric+toothbrush

Like Pants, I approuve AFI's list and appreciate the fact that they can include recent movies.

Hey! By the way, have you seen that great new movie, The Two Towers? Wow, this one's a biggie. Bring all your friends, family and neighbours!
Old 12-17-02, 02:34 PM
Banned

Wow, what a post! Made my day. This may come as a surprise old tree, but there actually is no sarcasm in my list. That really is my Top 10, although you make me shy to admit it now you dick

Of course the year ain't over yet and there are several films that those bastards at the AFI have seen, but us pee-ons havn't had the priveledge to see yet.

And, as I said before, I posted my top 10 list only to give a feel of MY personal taste, NOT as an alternative to the AFI list. I don't agree with the AFI list, I resent all these lists that seem to ignore films that are from early in the year in favor of stuff that hasn't come out yet, and won't open wide untill NEXT YEAR, but they've got their opinion and I've got mine.

I like my list, it's got something for everyone. Not all high brow picks and not all fast food corporate junk. I like SW ep II because it makes me feel like a 10 year old again and I admire Lucas' personally financing $100 million movies, who else can do THAT!!!

And what the hell is a "squirel sucker"?
Old 12-17-02, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by slop101
If you liked High Fidelty (w/ John Cusak), you'll like About A Boy. It's based on a book by the same writer (who also helped with the script).

Actually, I'm not quite sure that's a fair comparison. Both "High Fidelity" and "About a Boy" were written by Nick Hornby (the books that is). Hornby had nothing to do with the movie version of "Fidelity". But was Executive Producer on "Boy". I actually think he is a terrific writer. And did not like the way "Fidelity" was translated to the screen (changing the locations from London to Chicago, the storyline, etc). So, I didn't care for the movie at all. "About a Boy" on the other hand was more like the book. And a great movie. I can't understand how anyone can slam it for being on any critics Top 10 list. For those who did, have you even *seen* the film!? Look, I loved "Frailty" and "Spiderman" too. But "About a Boy" deserves to be on any year end list as much as those two films. If not more. I'd be willing to bet "About a Boy" gets nominated for best adapted screenplay at the very least come Oscar time. Grant will probably pick up a nomination too for Best Actor.