Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rabbit-Proof Fence

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-02, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rabbit-Proof Fence

See this movie. It's incredible. I saw it this morning and all I can say is wow. So,

wow.
Old 12-31-02, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does this movie have a "Dances With Wolves" feel to it??
Old 12-31-02, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
Does this movie have a "Dances With Wolves" feel to it??
Huh?

Why would it?
Old 02-09-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I headed into this film with fingers-crossed as I didn't want to see my current hot-streak in film-going (Catch Me If You Can, Antwone Fisher, The Pianist, City of God) come to an end. I'm elated to report my streak is still intact; Rabbit-Proof Fence is another winner to add to the list. It had been on my to-watch list since it first came out but I didn't have an opportunity to catch it until this weekend. Regarding DVDTalker Frank TJ Mackey's earlier question concerning if it had a "Dances with Wolves" feel to it, I would say "yes" in the sense that you view some terrific cinematography of the Australian landscape, also it does have a bit of a Western feel to it (I like Western films), plus like "Dances with Wolves" it relates - though on a smaller and simpler scale - the story of injustices perpetrated upon a native/indigenous population.

Rabbit-Proof Fence is a simple, quiet, yet still involving low-key chase film that focuses on three young "half-caste" girls and their quest to return to their homes from which they were forcibly removed. The film - a true story which took place in 1931 - shines a spotlight on a shameful, shockingly prolonged in duration, and little-known (at least to me) chapter in Australia's history (nice to see that we here in the U.S. aren't the only ones who screwed things up in regards to the treatment of the indigenous people of the land). The performances by the cast were solid in terms of body language, subtle facial expressions, mannerisms, etc., being a chase film it is not really a dialogue-driven type of movie. The film, while not action-packed or filled with edge-of-your-seat suspense, does not offer a dull moment and plays out perfectly over its 93 minute (approx.) runtime. Rabbit-Proof Fence scored a definite from me.

Anyway, as I mentioned at the top of this post, I really can't believe my good fortune in movie-going lately. Without a doubt, the best run of luck I've had in years. With "The Quiet American", "The Guru", and "Gods and Generals, as likely candidates for my next trip to the theater, I wonder which - if any - will break the streak.
Old 10-11-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I finally got around to viewing this one - what a gem. This movie was beautiful to watch and the story was simply amazing. It definitely had it's tear-jerker moments. The three girls were excellent, particularly the lead - Everlyn Sampi (who plays Molly). all around.
Old 10-11-03, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great movie indeed! As mentioned before, the three girls are excellent, not to mention they never been in a movie before.
Old 10-12-03, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Be sure to watch the "making of" documentary.

Very nice film and is, of course, based on a true story.
Old 10-12-03, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Agreed with the above. A good movie. Documentary was good also.
Old 10-12-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I did check out the doc before I took the rental back. A lot of the docs that supplement discs are a letdown, but I was quite impressed w/ that one. It makes you appreciate the movie a little more and the job the girls did.
Old 10-12-03, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agreed. I actually picked this up blind on the recommendation of this thread alone! (ah, the power of dvd talk....)

Great movie!
Old 10-15-03, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another endorsement here.
Old 10-15-03, 09:18 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
excellent film, and even better if you can watch it on a large screen and surround sound, the theatrical presentation I saw was astounding in it's cinematography and Peter Gabriel's mesmerizing soundtrack.
Old 10-15-03, 09:34 AM

i really liked this movie...I was talking to a friend about it and he said he walked out halfway through because he didn't like the way they portrayed the aborigine families. He said it was too stereotypical and false according to what he's studied...i don't know much about them so i have no clue if he may be right or not...
Old 10-15-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Might as well jump in here with the rest of ya... Great film.