Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Spanish Prisoner

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Spanish Prisoner

Old 12-02-02, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Spanish Prisoner

I just finished watching this for the first time. While I enjoyed it entirely, I was left with the feeling that I'm missing something, and I can't put my finger on it. I would like to hear your thoughts on this movie, and I would like to hear some opinions or theories on what is actually going on throughout. I would start by asking some questions, but I don't even know what to ask. I'm hoping that those of you who have seen the film more than I have can delve into the intricacies of the plot, and help me to grasp the subtleties that I feel I have missed with only one viewing.
Old 12-02-02, 10:21 PM
Banned

Its been a few years since I have seen this but I do remember liking it alot. I then loaned it to my parents who also enjoyed.
Great writing, good performances and a great mystery.
Old 12-03-02, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mamet struck gold here and Steve Martin is pitch perfect in this film. A confluence of perfect casting and great direction. One of my favorites alas too bad the DVD has nothing by way of extras.
Old 12-03-02, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Spanish Prisoner

Originally posted by caiman
I just finished watching this for the first time. While I enjoyed it entirely, I was left with the feeling that I'm missing something, and I can't put my finger on it. I would like to hear your thoughts on this movie, and I would like to hear some opinions or theories on what is actually going on throughout. I would start by asking some questions, but I don't even know what to ask. I'm hoping that those of you who have seen the film more than I have can delve into the intricacies of the plot, and help me to grasp the subtleties that I feel I have missed with only one viewing.
All I can say is, watch it again and again and again. You'll pick up a lot on second viewing. For example, when Campbell Scott and Steve Martin are arguing at the entrance of the car dealership, you'll notice some tourists nearby.
Old 07-13-07, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just watched this movie, great movie.

If you like con movies, also check out House of Games and Nine Queens.
Old 07-13-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
I couldn't get over how flat and mannered the performances were - I know it was intentional, but I just found it distracting. And why does Mammet always have to put his wife in his films? She can't act!
Old 07-13-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of my favourite Mamet films, and of the best Steve Martin performances (and I really like him in Shopgirl). I agree with the above, watch it a few more times and then think of any questions you may have.
Old 07-13-07, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
And why does Mammet always have to put his wife in his films? She can't act!
Rebecca Pidgeon is great at playing charming characters, like she did in State and Main, but when she deviates from those characters her weaknesses become excruciatingly obvious. Still, she's at least better than Mamet's previous wife, Lindsay Crouse.
Old 07-13-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is not only one of my favorite Mamet films, it is one of my favorite films. I have shown it to many people, and without exception, after it ends, they turn to me and say "I have to watch that again."

I must have seen it well over a dozen times so far, and it never gets boring for me.

And, "The Process" is one of the best MacGuffins ever. I still would love to know what it was.