Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

11th Star Trek film being considered

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

11th Star Trek film being considered

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-03, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Cavalier (star trek 11???)

Originally posted by Rocky_Stallone
There will be a Star Trek 11 with the Next Generation cast for sure but how do you think the next will be?
How do I think it will be? Big Flaming pile of poo. The franchise is so out of steam it's not even funny. The only reason that Paramount doesnt pull the plug is the cash cow aspect that keeps them solvent. As I understand it, that whole Viacom deal really left them hurting for money, and Trek one of the major things keeping 'em afloat.
Old 05-29-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Cavalier" may be appropriate...as an adjective. As in Paramount and the B-B regime's attitude towards Star Trek at this point in time. I sense a big rumor/joke being played.
Old 05-29-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth Jepthah •<HR SIZE=1>"Cavalier" may be appropriate...as an adjective. As in Paramount and the B-B regime's attitude towards Star Trek at this point in time. I sense a big rumor/joke being played. <HR SIZE=1>

I thought a similar thing in that you'd have to be pretty damn cavalier to try and release another Trek film in this climate (and I use the term "Trek" loosely, since B&B don't seem to grasp the concept).

das
Old 05-29-03, 01:55 PM

I really hope that this isn't the end for the Next Gen crew. While I did quite like Nemesis, I will be one to admit that it was not exactly what I would classify as being a good film. I agree with taking time off and maybe just giving things a rest.

As far as the series being out of steam, isn't this a common thing? I can't think of any long running series that hasn't run into a few problems here and there (if anyone can think of any feel free to post them).

So hopefully Trek (and Berman) will just take some time off and rethink the whole Trek thing instead of just launching some other series. I would love if they did this and launched a new crew on a new Eneterprise.
Old 05-29-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Have no fear ... somewhere, George Takei is putting together another treatment for a Sulu series/film/breakfast cereal.

das
Old 05-29-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts
No more Trek please. Nemesis was a fitting end to everything TNG and Trek in general related IMO.
Old 05-29-03, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rocky_Stallone
Sheesh, enough of the bashing already...it's really a simple question to confirm the rumours. Knock it off.

Thanks Mittman for kindly responding this question like a mature human being, I like to look for good answers like those. I don't look for immature idiotic comments like some of the ones above.
Rock, your complaining about the replies you are getting in your threads is getting very very old. Look, if you post something -- anything -- at DVDTalk, you are extremely likely to get several sarcastic, somewhat humorous replies. That's what people here do. In fact, it is the specialty of the house. It's what makes this such a fun board.

Please do not refer to our posts as "idiotic and immature"; in return, we will try and return the favor.

As Bushdog said: "Oh come on, NCmojo, busting your balls is a sign that you've been accepted."

(in fact, I think that could possibly be sig material...)
Old 05-29-03, 03:44 PM

IMNSHO Trek should have been ended with 6. Generations was awful and each subsequent film was bad too (although not as bad as Generations). I can't blame Paramount for trying to capitilize on a popular series but I still don't have to like it.

I enjoy Star Trek, and I really tried to get into TNG and some of the other series but there's just nothing there. I actually prefer TOS to any of the TNG series, and I'm not that old!

BTW, was this post immature and idiotic?
Old 05-29-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Without Picard, which he has stated he will not do any more Star Trek pictures, it will not be of TNG. just face the facts. No more star trek films.
Old 05-29-03, 06:12 PM
Banned

Yeah, I agree with some of you guys that I think TNG movies should continue. At least a couple of more films.

As far as where I hear the rumours, do a google search. People are already in talks of what the next TNG movie title is going to be.

It may not even be a TNG movie. It could be either Deep Space Nine, Voyager or Enterprise getting a new movie deal, who knows. Anything can happen. Whether you Trek haters like it or not, there will be more Trek movies, the franchise will never stop just like the James Bond and Friday the 13th series never stops.
Old 05-29-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK, I did a google search for "Star Trek: Cavalier", and found (on the very first hit) that it is work of fan fiction, not an officially sanctioned project of the Trek franchise. So, regardless of the future of Trek, Cavalier ain't it.

Next, I did a google search for "Star Trek 11", and found numerous hits, all dated prior to Nemesis' release, in which Rick Berman was quoted as saying there would definitely be another film. However, I then found the following, taken from a February 4 interview, as reported at killermovies.com:
Rick Berman, Star Trek Nemesis' executive producer, spoke to Sci-Fi Wire about the several factors that likely contributed to the film's lackluster box-office performance. According to Berman the future of the film franchise remains uncertain. "There's no way of telling what happened," Berman said in the interview. "I'm convinced that we made a very good movie, and I'm also convinced that the movie was promoted properly."

"I thought the trailers and the television spots were all excellent.", added Berman. "It's easy to blame that sort of thing, but I don't think we can in this situation. I think that the competition of other films may have played some part in it, but I can't be certain of that, either. It's very, very hard to tell."

"Obviously, you want a film to do well," said a disappointed Berman. "You work for a long time, and you work for a long time, and if it doesn't do well, it's not fun."

Berman says that he's unsure of the future of the Trek film franchise. "There's a theory that there was too much time [between Insurrection and Nemesis]," he said. "There's another theory that there wasn't too much time. I, along with the people at Paramount, need a few months of perspective and thinking about it to then decide what's the best thing to do next. I don't think this is like falling off a horse, and you want to jump right back on it. But we'll see."
Based on that, I don't see how anyone can logically conclude that there will "definitely" be a Star Trek 11.
Old 05-29-03, 06:46 PM
Banned

Thank you Roboman, and like I said, the Star Trek franchise is never going to end, just it never ends with 007 and Friday the 13th.
Old 05-29-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Mittman
I read an article where a Paramount exec said that there would be no more Star Trek films for a LONG time. And he said if they do decide to make another film ever, it will not include the Next Generation cast. Nemesis was the last straw, TNG is dead.

Theres one problem. The $$$. It will always come down to the $.

I give it 3 years....then we'll see a new cast. I'd agree on no more TNG cast though.
Old 05-29-03, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I could see them pulling another next generation trick. Chuck EVERYONE from the original (I mean TNG) and start over fresh using the same universe.
Sure there would be some fans screaming for blood but if it is done well... quality high budget sci fi ALWAYS has a fan base.
Old 05-29-03, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Star trek cavalier? I just had this weird trekkie swashbuckler image in my head...Freaky.

I rather liked nemesis.

I don't think the franchise needs a break. I just think they need talented directors and writers to breathe some fresh air into the series. Nemesis was greatly helped by director stuart bairds background in editing action films. The action scenes I thought were pretty tight and exciting. The editing in general for that picture was pretty sleek. Of course at the expense of character.
But at least there was 50x more characterization then that of a new star wars picture. Anyway, Cavalier, or whatever they end up calling it, would benefit from fresh blood. Hopefully someone talented.
Old 05-29-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
After watching Nemesis on DVD, I realized that the lighting was really poor. It really added years to Patrick Stewart's face [compared to X2]. And Brent Spiner? Man, did he look OLD. [Are androids supposed to age? Or did they explain the change in appearance and I missed it...]

Nonetheless, I agree with some of Sunday Morning's comments about needing talented directors and writers. It seems that B&B and/or Paramount feel they need either a die hardcore trekkie writer/director or someone who's never heard of it... Can't there be a happy medium..?
Old 05-29-03, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whatever happened to the proposed idea of Star Trek XI being a mix of the 3 Next Generation era casts in a sort of "ultimate crossover" movie? I remember this being pitched around awhile ago. Basically having all the crews working together to stop a common enemy. They done this many times in the Star Trek novel series, even using the original series crew. Bringing everyone together like that would be an appropriate "final" movie to me.
Old 05-29-03, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts
I thought Star Trek X would have been the best point to do an ultimate crossover if one were to occur.

Berman had a point with the time factor IMO. Up until Nemesis, a Trek film did come out roughly every two years. The so called even numbered ones being good always held true, and after the lackluster Insurrection, I recall half-joking with my friends "well, two years from now we'll get a decent one again."
When the cycle broke from two years to four years, a lot of people who were used to having their fix didn't get it, and the declining quality of both DS9 and Voyager during said time caused the fanbase to wane IMO. Oh well, Nemesis was a good stopping point IMO.
Old 05-29-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
well, at least we had Janeway as an ADMIRAL!

right das..?
Old 05-29-03, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Rogue588 •<HR SIZE=1>well, at least we had Janeway as an ADMIRAL!

right das..?
<HR SIZE=1>

Best ... movie moment ... ever!!! Right up there with Katie Couric's tour de force in Goldmember.

It's funny that the term "Trek-hater" keeps getting thrown around (dare I say) so cavalierly. A significant portion of those of us who would like the franchise to pull back for a long time, if not forever, have been its biggest fans for a good 37 plus years, which I'll guess is longer than those certain cavalier individuals have been alive. We've paid our dues. ("We've done our bid for king and country ... you should have trusted me ... you should have trusted me").

"Hate" is about the furthest thing from it. To share a personal moment, my grandfather was DNR, and we pulled the plug rather than watch him (maybe) live on as a hollow, Alzheimer-ridden shell of his former self. I assure you, the action was one of love. While nowhere near the same level of emotion, I can equally assure you, many of us who want the franchise to pull back or even end feel that way because of love. Tagging everyone as "Trek-haters" is quite narrow-minded and shows a complete lack of understanding of what Trek fandom is truly about. Sorry, but I'm a bit tired of being labelled a hater of a franchise I've supported for so long (you know, by helping resurrect it from the dead a few decades back).

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 05-29-03 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-29-03, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by FiveO
Theres one problem. The $$$. It will always come down to the $.

I give it 3 years....then we'll see a new cast. I'd agree on no more TNG cast though.
What money? If it all comes down to money, then there will never be another Trek film again. Nemesis bombed at the box office. Insurrection performed poorly, and it was followed up by the lowest grossing film in the series. Paramount is in the business of making money, not making fans happy. People seem to think there are tons of Trek fans out there that would continue to support these films, but the box office take says otherwise. In fact, it is pretty clear by looking at the numbers that the Trek franchise is washed up.
Old 05-30-03, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Sometimes it isn't great, sometimes it is. Doesn't matter to me, just keep bringing it because I will lap it up. While I would love to see a DS9 movie, I don't think there is enough market to justify it (but I would be there opening day, naturally). I even enjoyed Voyager, and it wasn't very good. I like Enterprise.

Keep feeding me and I will keep thowing you my money, Paramount.

I love Star Trek. Too much, and I know that.
Old 05-30-03, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
I thought Star Trek X would have been the best point to do an ultimate crossover if one were to occur.

Berman had a point with the time factor IMO. Up until Nemesis, a Trek film did come out roughly every two years. The so called even numbered ones being good always held true, and after the lackluster Insurrection, I recall half-joking with my friends "well, two years from now we'll get a decent one again."
When the cycle broke from two years to four years, a lot of people who were used to having their fix didn't get it, and the declining quality of both DS9 and Voyager during said time caused the fanbase to wane IMO. Oh well, Nemesis was a good stopping point IMO.
I really disagree with your comment on DS9 getting worse as the series went on. It got so much better after the second season. What did you not like about it?
Old 05-30-03, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How about having the plot of Star Trek XI be: Captain Riker on the Titan vs. Admiral Janeway on Voyager?

I'd pay to see the Admiral get a whuppin'

Oh, and I completely disagree with the comment on DS9 declining quality. It got better and better for me!
Old 05-30-03, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts
There WILL be a new Star Trek movie. Look at how many copies of Nemesis were sold on DVD in it's first week of release! (1.2 million)

Nemesis will turn a profit inside of a year or 18 months, and will then be a constant stream of profits for Paramount for decades to come. They don't have any other franchise like that.

What I expect to see is a combination of TNG, DS9, and Voyager actors combined with NEW regular characters/actors to restart the series. The whole thing will be reworked, and hopefully by the time the project gets into the pre-production stage the Paramount execs will have come to the realization that under Berman (and Braga) that the Star Trek franchise has been on a steady decline, and they fire those guys and hire someone new to run the franchise.

I also expect a 5 - 10 year gap between Nemesis and the next Trek movie.

But, like Bond, Freddy Krueger, and Jason, Trek will never completely go away.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.