Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ice age closer to Shrek or Monsters Inc?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-02, 04:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just curious which movie it's more like (assuming either of them). I liked MI all around but while the animation was pretty good on Shrek the humor didn't really appeal to me. Any input is appreciated.

TIA
Old 11-24-02, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say it's closer to Monsters Inc. Ice Age is my favorite of the three.
Old 11-24-02, 05:19 PM

other than the fact Ice age is a CG movie there is not similarity

ice age was very funny but very unlike both shreck and Monsters inc
Old 11-24-02, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It has the idea from Monsters inc (Get kid back to family) and it has the mentality of Shrek (unlikely characters group and work together)

It borrows from both and adds it's own mix into it all. I really enjoyed ICE AGE and would recommand it to anyone.
Old 11-24-02, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I really like Shrek but didn't care too much for Monsters, Inc. Can anyone predict based on these two bits of information if I'll like Ice Age or not?
Old 11-25-02, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
It has the idea from Monsters inc (Get kid back to family) and it has the mentality of Shrek (unlikely characters group and work together)

It borrows from both and adds it's own mix into it all. I really enjoyed ICE AGE and would recommand it to anyone.
Ice Age I found to be easily the funniest of all 3, although I'd say that Monsters Inc may be a little bit better movie.
Old 11-25-02, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Ice Age was a big let down for me after i was really excited to see it after the first teaser (the opening squirriel scene). Monster's Inc was great, and Shrek was also really good. Ice Age was decent to me, but i expected a little more out of it. Maybe its just Ray Romano's voice :-P
Old 11-25-02, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Whoa, is that a personal attack on a forum member?

Dave
Originally posted by fumanstan
Ice Age was decent to me, but i expected a little more out of it. Maybe its just Ray Romano's voice :-P
Old 11-25-02, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed them all but I think Monster's Inc. was the most geared towards the kiddies.

1. Shrek
2. Ice Age
3. Monsters Inc.
Old 11-25-02, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I loved both Shrek and Monsters Inc. (MI being my favourite) and thought ICE AGE was a huge disappointment. Average animation, boring plot and was not that funny at all... I'll give it another shot on disc, but I'm not a big fan of this movie...highly average flick...

MATT
Old 11-25-02, 01:40 PM
Banned

If you want a comparison of the quality of animation I'd say its a toss up between Ice Age and Clutch Cargo.
Old 11-25-02, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Pants
If you want a comparison of the quality of animation I'd say its a toss up between Ice Age and Clutch Cargo.
That bad, eh?
Old 11-25-02, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by mookiemeister
That bad, eh?
I thought the animation on Ice Age was very well done. Monster's Inc was the best out of the 3 by far, but Ice Age compares favorably to Shrek. The problem is that Ice Age has a distinct style that isn't trying to be realistic, and the creators did that very well. And since the landscape is for the most part snow and ice, you're not going to get very fancy backgrounds
Old 11-25-02, 04:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by fumanstan
I thought the animation on Ice Age was very well done. Monster's Inc was the best out of the 3 by far, but Ice Age compares favorably to Shrek. The problem is that Ice Age has a distinct style that isn't trying to be realistic, and the creators did that very well. And since the landscape is for the most part snow and ice, you're not going to get very fancy backgrounds
And the animators went with a "distinct" unrealistic style because their tools wern't the most up to date and they went with a baren, snowy setting because it would be easier to animate. Ice Age is technologically stuck before A Bug's Life.
Old 11-26-02, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Ice Age has terrific animation and a good balance between drama (it was originally a drama) and witty comedy. It's a good film that both adults and kids may enjoy and it's my easy favorite of the three.
Old 11-26-02, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Pants
And the animators went with a "distinct" unrealistic style because their tools wern't the most up to date and they went with a baren, snowy setting because it would be easier to animate. Ice Age is technologically stuck before A Bug's Life.
And still pulled it off beautifuly
Old 11-26-02, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I loved both Ice Age and Monsters Inc, but didn't think Shrek was all that great.
Old 11-26-02, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought Shrek and Monsters Inc. on release day because I thought they were both great...but I laughed more at Ice Age than I did at the other two put together.

It may not be technically in the same league as the other two, but it's truly an underrated little film.

oh, to answer the original question, i'd say it's a LOT more like Monster's Inc. I see a lot of simiiarities in both storyline and tone. but maybe that's just me.
Old 11-26-02, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As long as it doesn't feature Smash Mouth on the soundtrack..
Old 11-26-02, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dave99
Whoa, is that a personal attack on a forum member?
Well if Ray Romano is a forum member, then we have two Barone brothers posting on DVD Talk! Holy crap!