Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Who would be the best Bond after Brosnan?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Who would be the best Bond after Brosnan?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-02, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by rkndkn
Clive Owen just doesn't work for me. . .

I'd be fine with Rupert Everett. And I love Colin Farrell, but I don't see him as Bond (nor accepting it).
I'm sorry, I try to be enlightened, and I wouldn't begrudge a homosexual man from trying to be anything he wants to be, except James Bond. The franchise would never recover.

I resented Pierce Brosnan trying to use the Bond role to advance his political views about cigarettes; I'm certainly against the politics Everett would bring to the role.

This is not merely a knee-jerk reaction; I believe that, based on what I know about this guy, his motivation in seeking the Bond role would be primarily to subvert the icon. I remember being incredibly annoyed a couple of years ago, after hearing that Rupert Everett had posed in a magazine styled as a gay James Bond.
Old 12-16-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Most of the actors here named I don't know. So, I can't comment on them. From what I've seen of Clive Owen, I wouldn't pick him.

Charles Shaugnessey, while british and can carry the "look", I don't know if he's strong enough acting wise for this.

Adrian Paul (Highlander) has both the body and the look and I think he could successfully pull it off.

I'm happy to hear that Brosnan is game for at least one more movie. I think he's a good replacement.

Timothy Dalton really did not get a fair shake. Their first choice of replacing Roger Moore was Brosnan. After NBC screwed him over, they had to scramble and they got Dalton and I believe he only was signed for two movies. I don't know why they decided not to keep him, but the break in the movies, I believe was because they wanted Brosnan and at the time his wife was very ill.

If they keep going after Brosnan, I will check it out if I like the actor. If they were to end it after his next one, I wouldn't mind.
Old 12-16-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hugh Jackman just doesn't have the look of a bond. My vote would be for the lead guy from the Transporter (and of Snatch/LS&2SB fame). Jason Statham I think is his name.

Old 12-16-02, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A Bond actor should have a charming and charismatic persona, as well as a British-like/European accent. British (I don't care what nationality Brosnan is, he has a British accent), Scottish, Australian (which is very close to British for obvious reasons), etc. Bond is British, which is part of his image, which includes his accent, and you can't have someone with an American accent pull off the Bond character (without faking an English accent). I nearly laughed my ass off when somebody mentioned Vin Diesel.

That said, I myself can't think of too many good candidates, but I think Clive Owen would make a pretty good Bond.
Old 02-13-03, 06:09 PM
Banned

Russell Crowe
Old 02-13-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How about Jude Law? Or is he too young for now?
Old 02-13-03, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
A Bond actor should have a charming and charismatic persona, as well as a British-like/European accent. British (I don't care what nationality Brosnan is, he has a British accent), Scottish, Australian (which is very close to British for obvious reasons), etc. Bond is British, which is part of his image, which includes his accent, and you can't have someone with an American accent pull off the Bond character (without faking an English accent). I nearly laughed my ass off when somebody mentioned Vin Diesel.
Um, but Brosnan has an Irish accent in real life, not a British one. Haven't paid enough attention in the movies, but when I see an interview with him or when I saw him in Evelyn, he has his natural Irish accent.
Old 02-13-03, 09:46 PM
Banned

nobody?
Old 02-14-03, 03:58 AM

Cate Blanchett
Old 02-14-03, 07:04 AM

Simon Cowell
Old 02-14-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

New possibilities?

Ben Miles. Charming, built, with excellent timing.

Filmography, you ask? Why, click away!

James Purefoy. Hey, my sister thinks he's sexy, and she likes Connery, and liked Brosnan back in the day. If that's not a good judge of Bond, what is?

Egad! Pray, in what films has he featured?

Stuart Townsend. Give him a couple years - he'll grow into it. As for those quick to point out that he was in Queen Of The Damned... remember Brosnan was in The Lawnmower Man. Wretched horror book adaptations = Bond Gold!

Fwooargh! Show me more of this man... 's films.

Dougray Scott, my friends, Mr. Dougray Scott.

Heavens to Hibernian-jersey-earing Betsy! Gimme more.

Nick Moran. The classy lad in front there has shown that he's a man with a way with words and weaponry.

So young that I must know more.

Ben Chaplin would do in a pinch.

Alright, but show me what he's ever done, I'm already confusing him with Nick Moran

Michael Sheen. Already has a name that sounds like a Bond knockoff, AND has proven that he can land beautiful women on charm and with alone. 'Cause it's certainly not the looks.

Um...

Karl Urban. He's got it down if he figures out his hair ever.

You might have seen one of his films before.

Last, but certainly not least, Andy Serkis.

A little computer effect here and there, and he'd be a lot more animated that Dalton ever was...

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 02-14-03 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-14-03, 02:27 PM

CLIVE OWEN all the way.

Hell, I concur with every one of you that selected Clive Owen. I've been thinking that ever since I encountered him in Privateer 2, Croupier, bits of Lorna Doone, Second Sight, Gosford Park, the Bourne Identity, and all three BMW Hire flicks. (Totally forgot to include this--preoccupied with the images--but, the man has incredible screen presence. I can't stress that enough, but he's just so effing cool that I'm beside myself.) Here are four great images... booyah.

Last edited by FHaggis; 02-14-03 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-14-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There is, of course, only one way to decide this.

Twenty-man battle royale.

In a pool.

Of baby oil.

And I shall then cast myself as Bond, able to finance my own production after selling the whole greasy wrestling match on DVDs on eBay.
Old 02-14-03, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
He'd need a decent head of hair, but after "The Transporter", Jason Statham is just the man for the job.

Tuan Jim
Old 04-16-03, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
He'd need a decent head of hair, but after "The Transporter", Jason Statham is just the man for the job.
And why not? Sean wore a hairpiece.

(In fact, the stuntmen often tried to see who could pull it off in rehearsals)
Old 04-16-03, 03:04 AM

JIM CARREY.

Ok just kidding.

Just not val kilmer or george clooney....wouldn't want another batman sequel sequel part 4.1 forever

I'd go with

Christian Bale
Jude Law
MAYBE Jason Stratham
Colin Ferril

or how bout Robin Williams

"The names Bond, James zoot zeeeeurrrrrrr pfffffft ahhhhhhh (crazy sound effects) Bond ....nano nano"
Old 04-16-03, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Clive Owen
Old 04-16-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I will not rest, I will not eat or sleep, until the only true Bond is recognized by the world at large:

LONG LIVE DABNEY COLEMAN!
Old 04-16-03, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I say Rob Lowe
Old 04-28-03, 09:14 AM

I'd go with Ewan McGregor. someone said he had the look but was not smooth enough. After seeing some of Brosnans other movies, I never thought he would pull it off. I think you can put McGregor in the same category. I think he has great range as an actor and could really pull it off.

Adrian Paul- Liked the Highlander series....but NO!!!!!!!

Clive Owen- Good actor, but he really looks more like a bad guy.

Colin Farrell- Best guy out there, but noway he takes the role.

All in all, I think they pull out a lesser known talent to play the role. Or they will end it totally.
Old 04-28-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by braveheart32
I'd go with Ewan McGregor. someone said he had the look but was not smooth enough.
Dude... he's SMOOOVE with a capital V.

Old 09-12-05, 05:33 AM

bondgirl007

My Chioce For James Bond, Has Always Been, And Always Will Be Christian Bale. There Is No Other Actor With All The Right Stuff Other Than Him For This Role. I Hate The Fact That Just Because He Is Doing A Big Budget Flick As Batman, The Producers Want To Cast Him Aside. Shame On Them If They Do, He's The Only Actor With The Class, Style, Look, And Acting Ability! Anyother Actor Who Wins This Role Apart From Him, Will Not Do It Justice.
Old 09-12-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Two american buffyverse actors might be able to handle the role: James Marsters or Alexis Denisof. Not the best choice, IMHO, but just an example of americans who can pull off as believeable a British accent as Pierce Brosnan et al.