Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why Doesn't John Barry Compose for Bond Anymore?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-02, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I was wondering - whatever happened to John Barry? With a few exceptions he was the composer for all the James Bond soundtracks beginning with From Russia with Love in 1963 and ending with The Living Daylights in 1987. Anyone know why he has never returned since to score another Bond film?
Old 11-19-02, 12:50 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
He's gotta be pretty old. Perhaps he just retired?
Old 11-19-02, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just checked the IMDB and looks like he's still composing away, just not for Bond anymore. It's a shame.
Old 11-19-02, 07:17 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know for sure, but I did a google search and the following two pieces seem to say that he either feels like he's not a part of Bond anymore or that Eon Productions was unable to entice Barry to come back.

Interesting exerpts from a much more complete page:
http://www.johnbarry.org.uk/james_bond_music.shtml
Illness prevented Barry from returning to score Licence To Kill, in 1989, even though production was delayed in the hope he would recover in time. Vic Flick did return, however, to play guitar on Michael Kamen’s sessions. ....

Legal wrangles prevented any further James Bond adventures until 1995’s GoldenEye, by which time Timothy Dalton had decided it was time for him to hang up the tuxedo and revolver. Barry, too, apparently decided enough was enough, and although courted at length by the producers, claimed he was too busy on other projects to be able to give the film the time and attention it deserved.
-David
Old 11-20-02, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Interesting info. Would love to know the real dirt, however, on why Barry is no longer interested in the Bond series. That link you provided, Blade, had me pretty much in agreement with the comments made. I am under the impression as well that Eric Serra's score for Goldeneye was the worst one ever for Bond (unless you consider Never Say Never Again). David Arnold has done an admirable job since, but he doesn't seem to incorporate the title theme song in his compositions the way John Barry always seemed to do.

I also miss the "alternate" James Bond theme that John Barry created for the series, titled "007." It used to get played a lot. (Examples: during the underwater battle sequence in Thunderball; and during the oil rig battle sequence in Diamonds are Forever). But I don't think its ever been heard again since the Amazon boat chase scene in Moonraker, and I think that's a shame.