Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Daredevil trailer released

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: How does Daredevil look to you?
I think it looks Good
60.38%
I think it looks Bad
39.62%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-02, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/da...ler_large.html

Is it just me, or does this movie look like its going to be a disappointment. Jenifer Garner looks great in the previews, of course, but the director isn't exactly a proven talent. And i don't mean to bash the guy, but his past screenplays havn't been that amazing either. (Jack Frost, Big Bully)

I really hope i'm wrong, since daredevil is such a great comic.
Old 11-06-02, 11:25 PM

I think the trailer looks good. Would have liked to see a little more of the action but I got enough to want more. Hoping this one will be good.
Old 11-06-02, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It looks entertaining to me. I've never read the comic book though, so I basically know nothing about the character or story though, so that might make it more entertaining to me, since I won't notice any flaws in the story.
Old 11-06-02, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks good to me. I'll go see it. The only thing I know about Daredevil in the comics is that he's blind so I won't be too weighed down with the thought that it don't follow the original story. And I think Michael Duncan will make a good Kingpin.
Old 11-07-02, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thought the trailer was pretty cool for a comic book movie. Some of the stunts looked a little too much like Blade, but it's still got a real sleek look. Micheal Clarke Duncan does seem like a good Kingpin and Jennifer Garner is HOTTTT.

Is it just me or does anyone else wince everytime someone says the name of a superhero in a live action movie? When Joe Pantaleoni starts asking about "Dare Devil" it just sounded stupid. Don't know why...maybe it's because these movies are trying to be grounded in reality and yet there's people in it talking about a Dare Devil or a Spiderman with a straight face. If I saw a guy dressed as a devil fighting crime, I'd call him Freaky Devil Dude instead of Dare Devil. But that's just me.
Old 11-07-02, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The teaser didn't grab me; it just looked dirty, grabby, derivative and chaotic. I was hoping the film would deliver, but it didn't look very exciting.

But then again, it was only a teaser.

I love the new trailer, and from what I read at AICN it doesn't even get into the deeper reaches of the plot and character development. Apparently the film has a very good script, and as long as they don't downplay the character's more tragic aspects and the action looks as good as it does in the trailer, I won't be disappointed.

There seems to be a zero amount of sugarcoating in the film, which will be just fine by me. Please, god, let there be no love interest! I so want this superhero to be an antihero.
Old 11-07-02, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
The flaming "DD" was cool, but daa-aa-aa-mm-nnn does Affleck continue to look goofy in that facemask.

I've got a bad feeling about this one.
Old 11-07-02, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have got a bad feeling about any movie that Affleck is in (but not Damon)
Old 11-07-02, 08:50 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
It looks disappointing to me.
Old 11-07-02, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought this trailer KICKED ASS... I think this movie will rule...

MATT
Old 11-07-02, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
One thing I have learned from both X-Men and Spider-Man: never judge a comic movie by its previews.

That said, I wasn't too impressed. Techno music automatically turns me off of anything, and the unfaithfulness to some aspects really got me. Murdock and Elektra met in college for Pete's sake! Having them meet in this style makes it look like they are trying for a stupid love story of boy-meets-girl angle. Don't let them have a past, that would add too much complexity! Also, Ben Affleck comes across less like Matt Murdock and more like Ben Affleck in sunglasses acting like he's blind. Overall, it doesn't look like the screenwriters read much Frank Miller, whose run is allegedly the basis for the film.

On a good side, nice to see Joe Pantoliano in something again. Duncan seemed to be a good Kingpin, and Favreau a good Foggy Nelson. I am withholding judgment on Bullseye until later.
Old 11-07-02, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw the new trailer last night on the web. I was always a huge fan of the comic, and after seeing the trailer I can say that it looks like they are on the right track. They seem to have gotten alot of the "Daredevilisms" down ( the swan dives from buidlings, the long fluid movements). I'm curious to see how they are going to manifest his "radar sense" on screen.

Sorry but there is going to be a "love story" aspect to this film. Matt Murdock and Elektra fall hard for each other. But he has no idea she's a killer and she has no idea who he's the mild mannered attorney. It played really well in the comic. It wasn't too sappy. They had what could be called an "adverserial relationship". I don't know how else you'd describe a woman you love who's trying to kill you at the same time.

The one thing I am dissappointed, however, is Bullseye. I know the black suit with the target on the head probably wouldn't work but they've made him look like one of the village people. I just can't help but think a lot more could have gone into the design.

Jennifer Garner is absolutely gorgeous. She may be an unproven talent but I think they made a good choice here. From what I've read it came down to either her or Jolene Blaylock from Enterprise. I would be curious to see how Jolene would look in that costume, but I think Jennifer is going to do well in the role.

I've also heard alot of people say "Febuary is a dumping ground for bad movies". I wouldn't worry about that too much. Christmas is the big block buster film season. Daredevil isn't quite the icon that Batman or Spiderman is. If it were release around Christmas then it would probably be swallowed up by the competition.

Old 11-07-02, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just hope they keep Elektra's character true to the comic and remember that she is a cold blooded assasin. She kills viciously, and to not show that side of her would be a total cop-out IMO.
Old 11-07-02, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
It gives me zero interest in seeing it. But I will give it the benefit of the doubt and hope the trailors get more interesting in the future. And probably will still see it anyway...
Old 11-07-02, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Affleck still worries me.. each scene where he has dialog makes me cringe.

i've been a reader of the comic book since the infamous issue #158 and i'll go see the film. but Affleck.. ugh.
Old 11-07-02, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by devilshalo
Affleck still worries me.. each scene where he has dialog makes me cringe.

i've been a reader of the comic book since the infamous issue #158 and i'll go see the film. but Affleck.. ugh.
Your in the same boat with Kevin Smith. Hell Kevin Smith even wrote DD for a while, and if Smith can go on his own web-site and back Aflecks performance of the man without fear, then Im all for this movie. Im very excited about this movie and hope it turns out very well.
Old 11-07-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by zero
Im very excited about this movie and hope it turns out very well.
I am really excited, too, especially after I saw the new trailer on ET last night. Come on people, Affleck does not look that bad in the role. I do admit, I like the rest of the cast - as much as has been shown in the preview anyway. Jennifer Garner looks especially sweet.
Old 11-07-02, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I expected this trailer to suck.

And I was mildly surprised to see it was pretty good.
But nonetheless, I expect to be disappointed at the movie. Hollywood has not released a good superhero movie in a long time, IMHO. The superhero movies I did like was Superman, The Punisher, The Crow and even Masters of the Universe. I didn't think much of X-men, the Batmans, Spiderman and Tomb Raider.

Though I wonder why they are releasing it on Feb. 14. Isn't it more of a summer movie?

On Affleck, I do not like this guy that much, but I must admit, he does make watchable movies. And is a worthy member of the 20-million dollar club. Whether he already is there or isn't. I like the way he played Jack Ryan in Sum of All Fears.

On Gardner, I am unimpressed by this girl, but we must always give her a chance, as we always do.

Kingpin looks great though. and so does Bullseye. His costume looks corny, but the acting looks great.

Last edited by joeydaninja; 11-07-02 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-07-02, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by joeydaninja
The superhero movies I did like was Superman, The Punisher, The Crow and even Masters of the Universe. I didn't think much of X-men, the Batmans, Spiderman and Tomb Raider.

Though I wonder why they are releasing it on Feb. 14. Isn't it more of a summer movie?
The Punisher? I guess I need to go back and see it again. I don't remember it being much to look at.

As for it not being shown in the summer, there are just too many big movies next summer and I think it would get lost pretty quickly. Daredevil just doesn't have the big name that Spiderman or Superman has. As a result, aside from the fan boys and internet geeks (I am in there somewhere), it is going to have to rely on good word of mouth. Keep it away from the big boys so that it can have a good opening weekend and then continue to do well against inferior competition in the following weeks after release (though in saying this I don't know what else is out around that time). I think it is a good move.
Old 11-07-02, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The worst nightmare for this film is that some studio releases a romantic comedy with large names on that same day (February 14th, Valentine's Day!). Then all of the fanboy guys with GFs have to go see the romance one by default.
Old 11-07-02, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
The worst nightmare for this film is that some studio releases a romantic comedy with large names on that same day (February 14th, Valentine's Day!). Then all of the fanboy guys with GFs have to go see the romance one by default.
DD has Affleck though so maybe some women would go just for that reason and then both the guy and the girl are happy (plus the guy gets the added bonus of Jenifer Garner).
Old 11-07-02, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by joeydaninja
I expected this trailer to suck.

And I was mildly surprised to see it was pretty good.
But nonetheless, I expect to be disappointed at the movie. Hollywood has not released a good superhero movie in a long time, IMHO. The superhero movies I did like was Superman, The Punisher, The Crow and even Masters of the Universe. I didn't think much of X-men, the Batmans, Spiderman and Tomb Raider.
The Punisher, and Masters of the Universe?......ummmm Forget it I dont have anything to say.
Old 11-07-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
So, they lose what.. 6, maybe 7 tickets?
Old 11-07-02, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks pretty unintentionally funny to me. Not even Joey Pants in one of those hats can get me to see this one. It's gonna suck. I bet it will be rated PG-13.

and since when is the Kingpin black?
Old 11-07-02, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by pixyboi
So, they lose what.. 6, maybe 7 tickets?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.