Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you think Punch Drunk Love would be doing better Box office Without Sandler?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-02, 09:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this article today and it made me thing, are a lot of people staying away because of Sandler? I would have gone and seen it right away if it weren't for him. I cant see that I am alone.

Sony's acclaimed Adam Sandler comedy "Punch-Drunk Love" appeared to hit a road block in its first weekend of wide release. The film rose one spot to No. 7 with $4.2 million, a 27 percent increase from last weekend. But the theater count expanded to 1,252 outlets from 481. The film's total after four weeks stands at $11 million.
Old 11-03-02, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't see it. Without Sandler, I think the movie is simply too offbeat to attract a wide audience.
Old 11-03-02, 09:43 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It would be doing worse. The biggest problem for the film is that Sandler's most loyal fans are opting to seeing Jackass instead.
Old 11-03-02, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it may have something to do with it. When I told some people, the basic response was oh an Adam Sandler movie rather than a movie starring Adam Sandler. It's a shame because it really is a good movie and Sandler gives one hell of an outstanding perfromance.
Old 11-03-02, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I have wanted to see it for a few weeks, but it was just released at my favorite theater this past weekend. Plan on seeing it w/ the wife this week. I agree w/ Groucho, I think it would be doing much worse w/out him. It just needs to build up momentum and have a good word of mouth now that it is in wider release.
Old 11-03-02, 10:13 PM

As unlikely as it may seem to those who have not seen the film, Sandler is key to this film. I have a feeling Anderson wrote it specifically for him. He not only turns in a very good acting job, he somehow embodies the persona of his character. Kinda like Chaplin did as the tramp. I am quite pleasantly surprised by this film, I hope he gives us something this interesting in some of his future role choices. Hope he works with P.T. Anderson again.
Old 11-03-02, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
People don't to see this because they think it'll be like Sandlers other movies (which I like BTW). If they knew its differant then they would be more interested.

People shouldn't miss this because it stars Adam Sandler. People should see this because its directed by PTA
Old 11-03-02, 11:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Groucho
It would be doing worse. The biggest problem for the film is that Sandler's most loyal fans are opting to seeing Jackass instead.
Or they could be waiting for Sandler's animated movie "Eight Crazy Nights" which comes out on November 27th.
Old 11-04-02, 09:49 AM
Banned

I get the same response from people when I mention the movie, "oh no, an Adam Sandler movie."
I know it's not, but does the general movie public? That's why I think he could be hurting the box office because the usual Sandler Fans may not be interested in this type of film and the people that dont like his dumb-dumb movies dont want to see it Because he's in it.
Old 11-04-02, 10:35 AM

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
It would probably make more if they marketed it as a Sandler movie. I'm glad they're not though.
Old 11-04-02, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe I read somewhere that Sandler was only going to do a couple of interviews and not "push" this film. Not because it isn't good, but because of some of the reasons already stated in this thread.

Last edited by conscience; 11-04-02 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-04-02, 11:09 AM
Retired

It would be totally bombing if it was not for Sandler.
Old 11-04-02, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts
The fact that it's rated R is hurting it as well IMO. Most of Sandler's fanbase is too young to view an R film on their own.
Old 11-04-02, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nor would they get the nuances/symbolism littered throughout in this film.
Old 11-04-02, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Considering the audience I saw this with (all 20 other people) was made up of Sandler fans (I'm guess by number of times laughter was forced), I don't think it would be doing too much better without him. Of course, the fact that the movie (to me) has limited appeal might be a problem too ....
Old 11-04-02, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Goat3001
People shouldn't miss this because it stars Adam Sandler. People should see this because its directed by PTA
That's was exactly my thinking in motivating myself to put my butt in the theater seat (which I do very rarerly). Don't see it because of Sandler, see it in spite of him because I love PTA so much.
Old 11-05-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I found "Punch Drunk Love" to be both a disappointing PTA and a disappointing Adam Sandler movie.
Old 11-05-02, 07:06 PM

I saw this movie and i was the only youung person the rest were older like 50's and 60's they were all pretty shocked with the graphic language i think they thought since sandler was in it that it was not a typical R rated movie.
Old 11-05-02, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I hated.. and I mean HATED punch drunk love.

The plot, or should I say lack of it was just all over the place. It had no resolution. Why the hell take the damn piano to her house at the end? No point. there was sooo many loose ends that were not tied nor were needed. the pacing sucked donkey nuts.

I usually hate the roles sandler takes and was hoping this would be him in a different light. I'm not a typical sandler movie fan to begin with and I gave it a chance because PTA. I was so damn disapointed. The pacing of the movie, the pointless story arcs. His character is totally unlikeable. Your suppose to feel for the character either hate him or love him. some reason to get behind that person and in this film there was no reason to do anything. I really just wanted the world to blow up while the movie was going on.

I'm not joe six pack here and I go to just about every movie I can and this one I just hated. So when you ask me if the movie would have done better if it wasn't sandler in the role... I say this, the movie would have done better if it was a completely different film that actually had something in it that had just a tiny little bit of interest.
Old 11-06-02, 12:52 AM
Banned

I found "Punch Drunk Love" to be both a disappointing PTA and a disappointing Adam Sandler movie.
Is it possible to be dissapointed in anything Sandler is in? After all this is the guy that did Big Daddy.
Old 11-06-02, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Belive it or not, some are calling his performance Oscar worthy.......Maybe it's good because of him????
Old 11-06-02, 02:03 PM

I saw the piano as his sanctuary, the place where he learned to find peace (at the beginning, he couldn't play it at all, and was a wreck...by the end, he had found love, and his ability to play the piano symbolized the harmony in his life). By taking it to her apartment, he was bringing the one thing that brought peace in his life to his new place of happiness, her apartment. I don't think it was a loose end.

As for its performance at the box office, I think much of it has to do with the ad campaign, or lack there of. A lot of people do not know about this movie, even college students who are big Sandler fans. The film has gotten zero commercial airplay, and it went through the dumb, dumb move of limited release. With a Sandler picture, if you promote it and open it nationwide on teh same day, you will make a good chunk of change. Considering it cost 25 million to make, one would think that with a heavy promo campaign and a push by Sandler and Anderson, the film could have atleast opened with 11 million, instead of being at 11 million after a month.
Old 11-09-02, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

With regards to the harmonium(piano), I see it as a metaphor for love in Barry Egan's life. When the harmonium suddenly drops into his life he cowers from it. Later, when he works up the courage to try it out it is broken but soothes him and gives him the hope that he can grow beyond a miserable shell of a man. His final act is to repair that love(harmonium) and give it...for love (and music) is not something we can have in isolation. It is the very act of sharing that makes love love or music music. IMHO at least.
Old 11-09-02, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As to the original thread question, I think his role in the film alienates fans of good films who see his name and say "Oh crap!", and also fans of his films, who read about the complex setup for the film and say "Oh crap!" as well.
Old 11-09-02, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Honestly, this movie is a little too odd to make a lot of money period. I don't care who is starring in it, I really don't think this movie ever had a chance to be a big box office success in the US. Sandler does not detract from the box office at all. If anything, for all the people who won't see it because of him, there are a couple people who will see it because of him.

Nonetheless, I quite enjoyed it, but I know many didn't. It's not mainstream, so who cares that the box office is low...I don't think it really had a chance to be high EXCEPT for the Adam Sandler part.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.