Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you think Punch Drunk Love would be doing better Box office Without Sandler?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Do you think Punch Drunk Love would be doing better Box office Without Sandler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-02, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,040 Likes on 824 Posts
Sandler fit the role perfectly, I can't really see any other actor in it being quite as believable.

That being said, I agree it doesn't seem like the type of movie that'd make a load of cash, but a great movie non-the-less.
Old 11-09-02, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adam Sandler's worst film to date. Adam sandler can is to good for this film and i think it only got released in theatres because he was in it
Old 11-09-02, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 890 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally posted by jhansla
Adam Sandler's worst film to date. Adam sandler can is to good for this film and i think it only got released in theatres because he was in it
Your statement tells us SO much about your tastes... or (cough) lack thereof (cough).
Old 11-09-02, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate typical sandler flicks, But I also hate Punch drunk love.

I'm not sure you can really base someone's taste on this movie. It is something folks will react different to. I found it to lack a interesting story, lacked character developement, and also just was a waste of my time.
Old 11-09-02, 08:53 PM

Coral what are you talking about?
Apart from the film being so boring it was badly filmed. The quality of the film was dreadful
Old 11-09-02, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 777 Likes on 560 Posts
i liked it... even got my mom to see it and tho a very quirky film, she liked it. she had reservations also that it may be a typical Sandler film (ie. Waterboy, Happy Gilmore, etc.) but thought he fit the character well. so did i.

she's not partial to PTA movies either.. she liked Boogie Nights, but can't get enough interest to watch Magnolia all the way thru. i thought the film to be a bit different from those and Hard Eight.
Old 11-09-02, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jaeufraser
Honestly, this movie is a little too odd to make a lot of money period. I don't care who is starring in it, I really don't think this movie ever had a chance to be a big box office success in the US. Sandler does not detract from the box office at all. If anything, for all the people who won't see it because of him, there are a couple people who will see it because of him.

Nonetheless, I quite enjoyed it, but I know many didn't. It's not mainstream, so who cares that the box office is low...I don't think it really had a chance to be high EXCEPT for the Adam Sandler part.

AGREED! I really really liked the atmosphere of Punch Drunk Love, but I think it's just too too weird for a mainstream audience. And I believe that even less people would see it without Sandler's participation, because I think most PTA fans will see his films regardless of the cast.

The one problem, however, that I had with the movie was, I never really understood how Emily Watson's character would have fallen so head-over-heels in love with Sandler's character from just seeing a photograph of him, not to mention his behavior once she met him.

Still, like I said before, I loved the totally off the wall, dare I say Tatiesque, mood PTA drenched this film with, and this is coming from someone who loved Hard Eight, thought Boogie Night was good, but who loathed Magnolia.

cheers, Tony Block