Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter Toy Commercials Contain Spoilers

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-07-02, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was shocked to see a commercial on TV the other day promoting some toys from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. What shocked me was that the commercial, and one of the toys itself contained a huge spoiler for the movie.

Spoiler:
The commercial contains an action figure of the basilisk, a giant snake that can petrify and even kill people by looking into their eyes.

In addition, the commercial
Spoiler:
shows the sinks in the bathroom opening up, as the narrator talks about finding the Chamber of Secrets.

These two points basically represent 2 of the 3 big mysteries in the book:
Spoiler:
What is inside of the Chamber of Secrets and where is the Chamber of Secrets located. The only mystery not spoiled is who is opening the Chamber of Secrets.

I've read the book, so the commercials don't tell me anything I already don't know. However, there are still alot of people who haven't read the book who, armed with the knowledge given in the commercial, will figure most of the mystery out within the first hour or so.
Old 11-07-02, 08:33 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It would be funny if they showed

Spoiler:
the "execution" of the Basilisk
Old 11-07-02, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or that
Spoiler:
ron's little sister is killed.
Old 11-07-02, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by pixyboi
Or that
Spoiler:
ron's little sister is killed.
Spoiler:
no she isn't

Considering that these commercials are aimed at kids who have assuredly already read the book several times, I don't have a problem with there being spoilers in the toy commercials.
Old 11-07-02, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by WildcatLH
Considering that these commercials are aimed at kids who have assuredly already read the book several times, I don't have a problem with there being spoilers in the toy commercials.
Every time I have seen these commercials has been on prime-time TV on shows that adults watch, as well as kids.

Granted, if you haven't read the books and you see the commercial, you probably won't realize the significance of what you are seeing. But it still seems to me that about halfway through the movie you would be able to put 2 and 2 together and figure it out prematurely.
Old 11-07-02, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WildcatLH
Spoiler:
no she isn't
Spoiler:
yes but it's fun to tease people who haven't read the book and swipe spoiler info anyways.. (:
Old 11-07-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
That's almost as bad as an old Leno ep I saw last week

Spoiler:
where he and Hayden Christensen were playing with an Anakin Skywalker action figure and the arm came off! Good thing I didn't watch it when it was originally broadcast a week before the movie was released. That was the only moment that truly surprised me. Well, that and how boring the movie was...
Old 11-07-02, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So wait.

You mean Harry Potter fights a magical creature?

Damn, you just ruined the WHOLE movie for me.

Old 11-07-02, 09:12 PM
Banned

The original poster spoiled the movie moreso than the commercials. Even though there is a medusa-like snake action figure made that really has little significance to me knowing its place in the story.
Old 11-09-02, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with those who argue that the target audience for the movie has most likely read the books, already, so they know what's coming.
Old 11-09-02, 11:28 PM

This is as silly as the people who were complaining about the Lord of the Rings previews having spoilers. Guys, if you haven't managed to read Tolkien's books in the 50 years they've been out, it's your own fault you've been spoiled. Likewise for Harry Potter, if you were really interested enough to care about spoilers I would expect you might have read Chamber of Secrets in the 4 years its been available. Don't complain when something that is practically common knowledge for the target audience is revealed is a big surprise to you, who may not be the target audience and therefore aren't important to the advertiser responsible.