Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Punch Drunk Love (spoilers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Punch Drunk Love (spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-10, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Puch Drunk Love Explained

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Well, the series finale of Lost just aired a couple weeks ago and considering that a growing segment of the population DVR's shows and/or waits for the DVD, it's reasonable to assume many Lost fans haven't gotten to the end.

Citizen Kane and Empire Strikes Back are very old films and, especially with Empire, the "spoilers" are part of the culture and are common knowledge.

That said, I would absolutely "spoiler tag" the Sixth Sense. It is still there to be discovered by new audiences and young people who didn't see it the first time around, and knowing the ending does absolutely ruin the film.
That's a very fair argument. However, The Sixth Sense is 11 years old now. When will it be alright to talk about the ending to that movie without worrying about spoilers? Seven has a twist ending and that came out 15 years ago. Psycho had a twist ending and that came out 50 years ago. Planet of the Apes came out over 40 years ago and knowing the ending to that movie definitely ruins the movie for somebody that hasn't seen it, but do we have to use spoiler tags for a movie that came out in 1968?

I guess Planet of the Apes and Psycho are part of the culture and common knowledge so they might not be the best examples, but what about 10 years from now? Assuming this forum is still around, will we still have to put spoiler tags on anything about The Sixth Sense even though it'll be over 20 years old by then?
Old 06-23-10, 09:16 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Caddyshack 2 is a dream that Rodney Dangerfield's character from the first movie has...
Spoiler:
ON HIS DEATHBED!
Old 06-23-10, 12:10 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I totally agree with Whoopdido. It just seems like we are getting to the point where it's almost overkill how we have to approach talking about movies. Has the constant exposure to movies, how they are made, when they are greenlit, whose in them, all the trailers and making of docs, and everything that is available on the internet beforehand made it so that we are forced to hide any talk about everything?

I wasn't old enough to remember something like Empire when it came out and how huge of a shock that twist would have been. I probably would have hated hearing about it before I got my chance to see it...but I also think that there was probably more of a respect for other filmgoers back then.

Now everything is out there almost before it happens...so maybe we don't deserve to have plot points and twists hidden from us for however long we need them to be hidden. It's not like many of us totally stay in the dark for anything anymore...otherwise this forum probably wouldn't exist.
Old 06-23-10, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by david12
I totally agree with Whoopdido. It just seems like we are getting to the point where it's almost overkill how we have to approach talking about movies. Has the constant exposure to movies, how they are made, when they are greenlit, whose in them, all the trailers and making of docs, and everything that is available on the internet beforehand made it so that we are forced to hide any talk about everything?

I wasn't old enough to remember something like Empire when it came out and how huge of a shock that twist would have been. I probably would have hated hearing about it before I got my chance to see it...but I also think that there was probably more of a respect for other filmgoers back then.

Now everything is out there almost before it happens...so maybe we don't deserve to have plot points and twists hidden from us for however long we need them to be hidden. It's not like many of us totally stay in the dark for anything anymore...otherwise this forum probably wouldn't exist.
I still don't get why ppl got so upset about a spoiler about LOST. I saw a few episodes and I already knew where it was going and that at the end
Spoiler:

It was just going to be more random shit thrown at you with no real answers.

I will now probably be told to put my comment on the LOST review section..
Old 06-23-10, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I've solved the Lost problem by never having watched a single episode of it. That way, spoilers don't bother me...mainly because I don't give a crap.