Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Punch Drunk Love (spoilers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Punch Drunk Love (spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-10, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Puch Drunk Love Explained

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Says who? Sounds like one to me.
I'd have to use spoiler tags.
Old 06-22-10, 05:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mod Note: If you have to ask whether or not something should be put in spoiler tags, be sensible and put it in spoiler tags.
Old 06-22-10, 05:23 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Many apologies. Even though I questioned the initial spoiler, I don't think I spoiled anything. No matter what I said about LOST everyone thinks what they think. It's like Kimmel said "I'll be honest, I don't really know what happened but I have my theories and all I know is that everyone elses theories are 100% wrong." Whatever I said is totally wrong...or right...or whatever you want.

Which makes me think about spoilers in general.

At what point do we get to openly talk about shows without having to hid everything. Before Lost ended I remember EWeekly doing a 'best finales' ever. Most of the shows were older, Newhart, Mash, etc...but they still 'spoiled the endings'. So, should EW have put spoiler tags over why the ending of MASH was so good? Isn't that overkill?

It just feels as though their should be a point where things can be openly discussed. I admit that I fall behind on shows. I just finished Fringe and Justified. I have 9 episodes of Parenthood and 24 of Burn Notice. Falling behind is my fault and when I learned by mistake who burned Michael that was the price I had to pay. I didn't get mad because someone talked about what happened two hours, weeks, or seasons ago. If I really cared, I would have caught up by now.

So, honestly, at what point do we get to openly talk about movies and shows...or anything...on any forum...in any post? Punch Drunk Love came out eight years ago but the original post warned of spoilers...REALLY? Should I not say who won WrestleMania in 1993 because someone might go back and watch it on DVD? Is the wrong to say that the Lakers won the NBA title last week?

I understand that I stepped on some toes and for that I sincerely apologize...especially considering that it was LOST...but it's the age of the internet and I guess I just don't take these things so seriously anymore.
Old 06-22-10, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by david12
Many apologies. Even though I questioned the initial spoiler, I don't think I spoiled anything. No matter what I said about LOST everyone thinks what they think. It's like Kimmel said "I'll be honest, I don't really know what happened but I have my theories and all I know is that everyone elses theories are 100% wrong." Whatever I said is totally wrong...or right...or whatever you want.

At what point do we get to openly talk about shows without having to hid everything. Before Lost ended I remember EWeekly doing a 'best finales' ever. Most of the shows were older, Newhart, Mash, etc...but they still 'spoiled the endings'. So, should EW have put spoiler tags over why the ending of MASH was so good? Isn't that overkill?

It just feels as though their should be a point where things can be openly discussed. I admit that I fall behind on shows. I just finished Fringe and Justified. I have 9 episodes of Parenthood and 24 of Burn Notice. Falling behind is my fault and when I learned by mistake who burned Michael that was the price I had to pay. I didn't get mad because someone talked about what happened two hours, weeks, or seasons ago. If I really cared, I would have caught up by now.

So, honestly, at what point do we get to openly talk about movies and shows...or anything...on any forum...in any post? Punch Drunk Love came out eight years ago but the original post warned of spoilers...REALLY? Should I not say who won WrestleMania in 1993 because someone might go back and watch it on DVD? Is the wrong to say that the Lakers won the NBA title last week?

I understand that I stepped on some toes and for that I sincerely apologize...especially considering that it was LOST...but it's the age of the internet and I guess I just don't take these things so seriously anymore.
For movies you should spoiler tag any major twists/revelations, unless you note in the thread title that there are spoilers.

For episode-specific TV threads you can discuss anything openly. Otherwise, you should use spoiler tags.

For sports you can discuss anything openly after the game has aired, as long as you don't post results in the thread title.

Mods, please correct me if I got anything wrong.
Old 06-22-10, 05:38 PM

I get all that. I read the spoiler thread I wasn't really asking for specifics as to when or where, just asking more broad 'big' questions. For example Citizen Kane came out in 1941 do we really need to hide the fact that
Spoiler:
the dude dies at the end

I get it, think I have mastered the art of spoiler tags, and won't let it happen again. I just seems like overkill.

Good god, Maria Sharapova looks like hell on ESPN right now.
Old 06-22-10, 05:58 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

For example Citizen Kane came out in 1941 do we really need to hide the fact that
Spoiler:
the dude dies at the end
Wrong.
Spoiler:
He dies at the beginning.
Old 06-22-10, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For example Citizen Kane came out in 1941 do we really need to hide the fact that
Spoiler:
the dude dies at the end
Re: Citizen Kane
Spoiler:
the dude dies at the beginning

Re: Lost
That's technically not a spoiler, but the way it's edited now makes it impossible for people to know what show is being "spoiled" without clicking on the spoiler (or reading ahead in the thread to see what people are complaining about).

Re: the original topic
I watched the first 20-30 seconds of the video, just enough to see the thesis, and stopped. It seems like whenever someone thinks they've "explained" a story in a unique way that no one has thought of before it's of the form so-and-so is really dead and is trying to get to heaven. I'd say this is because so many movies, books, etc. focus on redemption as a theme.

Re: Henry
I've got a unique explanation of a 1991 Harrison Ford movie, if anyone wants to hear it.

Last edited by Tscott; 06-22-10 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-22-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Wrong.
Spoiler:
He dies at the beginning.
Wrong.

Spoiler:
He's not dead. That's just some psuedo-intellectualist's bullshit
Old 06-22-10, 06:08 PM

Spoiler:
it's been years...dead's dead
Old 06-22-10, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:
it's been years...dead's dead
Spoiler:
There is no death - only transmigration of the soul.
Old 06-22-10, 06:16 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Tscott
Re: the original topic
I watched the first 20-30 seconds of the video, just enough to see the thesis, and stopped. It seems like whenever someone thinks they've "explained" a story in a unique way that no one has thought of before it's of the form so-and-so is really dead and is trying to get to heaven. I'd say this is because so many movies, books, etc. focus on redemption as a theme.
I just thought it was interesting to look at it in a different way... Even though its true most movies can be looked at with the same light

Last edited by nando820; 06-22-10 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-22-10, 06:53 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Ghostbusters:

Peter Venkman is really dead. Slimer is his ghost. When he get's slimed it's Venkman sliming himself and it represents his own self actualization as he comes to understand his mortality. At the end he is the only one who isn't covered in marshmellow. This is because he is actually dead. And what's the final image of Ghostbusters? Slimer flying toward the audience. Peter Venkman's soul is going to heaven.

You braindead chumps probably thought it was a diverting comedy/action film. Too bad you aren't vastly intellectually superior like me.

P.S. The Shining is about America's culpability in Indian genocide.

Last edited by Mabuse; 06-22-10 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-22-10, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Ghostbusters:

Peter Vankman is really dead. Slimer is his ghost. When he get's slimed it's Vankman sliming himself and it represents his own self actualization as he comes to understand his mortality.
Sadly, you've mistaken death for masturbation.
Old 06-22-10, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Is there ANY piece of literature or film that hasn't been interpreted by some psuedo-intellectual as "the main character is dead"?
Manos. That film made me wish I was dead.

Last edited by Krugbert; 06-23-10 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-22-10, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the explanation, DB
Old 06-22-10, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Wow... a PDL thread turned into a LOST thread.

The idea of Barry being dead and Lena being an angel is an interesting interpretation, but there's very little mentioned in the clip to support it. The creator just grabbed certain scenes and situations from the film and bent it so it would fit his conclusion.

As stated earlier, I think it's a pretty straight forward film that used various methods of symbolism and nods to old films through the use of certain visuals and particular music.

It's still a great film.
Old 06-22-10, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

^ I agree. Interesting ideas, but one thing I noticed they left completely out of the "explanation" is Barry's continual run-ins with the phone scam people. If you were to put any merit at all into the explanation video, maybe all that (the phone girl, the brothers, the Mattress Man) could represent the evil that's trying to keep Barry away from Heaven. Hell, I don't know.

Isn't there commentary on the DVD to explain what's going on?
Old 06-22-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Isn't there commentary on the DVD to explain what's going on?
No commentary. After Hard Eight and Boogie Nights PTA decided he wasn't going to provide commentaries anymore and just wanted the films to speak for themselves. Hence no commentary for Magnolia, PDL or There Will Be Blood.
Old 06-22-10, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to get other people's opinions on this as well. I mean some twists in classic movies have more or less become part of common knowledge and people speak of those twists in everyday life. Does the ending of The Empire Strikes Back need to be spoilerized? How about the ending to The Usual Suspects or The Sixth Sense? Aside from the very popular twists like those movies there does has to be a certain point when spoilerizing just isn't necessary. Do I have to put spoiler tags if I mentioned how Jaws ended? Jaws came out 35 years ago. If you haven't seen it by now, that's your problem. Now, I would prefer not to have the ending of Toy Story 3 spoiled since it only came out a week ago and I haven't seen it yet. So, somewhere in between a week and 35 years, there has to be a point where it's ok to "spoil" certain plot points of a movie or tv show.
Old 06-22-10, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Caddyshack II?
Oh, that's just great. Guess I don't need to watch Caddyshack II now!
Old 06-22-10, 11:44 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
somewhere in between a week and 35 years, there has to be a point where it's ok to "spoil" certain plot points of a movie or tv show.
Some weeks after the DVD is released...
Old 06-23-10, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PDL is one of my favorite movies ever. But this video is as wrong as all the people
Spoiler:
who still believe that the people on LOST were dead the entire time.

Barry is real, alive, and falls in love. That's the movie. PTA was just trying to make a magical neo-French film that was less heavy and more whimsical then his previous two. I love film criticism when it is good and there is fact behind it (like Ebert's Citizen Kane dvd commentary) but this thing was just grasping at straws in every way.

I don't think sun flares and white illuminations signify anything other than the fact that PTA is kinda an artsy fartsy movie director. Ugh.
Um.... you might want to indicate that your spoiler is a LOST spoiler!! I thought it was PDL spoiler so I read it... and I haven't gotten into Lost yet... grrrrrrrrrr.
Old 06-23-10, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

^ If you haven't gotten into Lost yet then that's really not a spoiler. It's nothing the creators didn't say several times every year.
Old 06-23-10, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I'd like to get other people's opinions on this as well. I mean some twists in classic movies have more or less become part of common knowledge and people speak of those twists in everyday life. Does the ending of The Empire Strikes Back need to be spoilerized? How about the ending to The Usual Suspects or The Sixth Sense? Aside from the very popular twists like those movies there does has to be a certain point when spoilerizing just isn't necessary. Do I have to put spoiler tags if I mentioned how Jaws ended? Jaws came out 35 years ago. If you haven't seen it by now, that's your problem. Now, I would prefer not to have the ending of Toy Story 3 spoiled since it only came out a week ago and I haven't seen it yet. So, somewhere in between a week and 35 years, there has to be a point where it's ok to "spoil" certain plot points of a movie or tv show.
Well, the series finale of Lost just aired a couple weeks ago and considering that a growing segment of the population DVR's shows and/or waits for the DVD, it's reasonable to assume many Lost fans haven't gotten to the end.

Citizen Kane and Empire Strikes Back are very old films and, especially with Empire, the "spoilers" are part of the culture and are common knowledge.

That said, I would absolutely "spoiler tag" the Sixth Sense. It is still there to be discovered by new audiences and young people who didn't see it the first time around, and knowing the ending does absolutely ruin the film.
Old 06-23-10, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gunde
^ If you haven't gotten into Lost yet then that's really not a spoiler. It's nothing the creators didn't say several times every year.
If it needs to be spoiler-tagged, then it needs to be identified outside of the tag, as one would reasonably assume the spoiler is about the thread topic.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.