Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-02, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work at a first run theater and we are picking this up for atleast the next week. It was weird to see our new movies for next week being Fear Dot Com, My Big Fat Greek Wedding and Lilo & Stitch. Just odd.....

t
Old 08-31-02, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
after reading your reviews, ill give this movie a chance tomorrow.
Old 08-31-02, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I was dragged to see this film....I heard it was good, but I just wasn't in the mood, this seemed more like the kind of flick I'd catch after it'd been out on DVD for a few months.

But I was SO WRONG! This movie is really funny, not just a few chuckles, but packed full of laughs. And it really has a lot of heart and is a great little movie. The leads are excellent and have great chemistry, and even the minor characters bring so much to there parts, I didn't even mind the N'Sync guy.

More than anything, I have to agree with what silentbob007. Good to see this movie not have to resort to that old tired cliche just for an emotional moment.

And the theater I saw it in was packed.
Old 08-31-02, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Just saw it this afternoon. I can honestly say that I feel ashamed that I did not view it until today as it has been playing at one of my theaters for the past two months.
The theater was not packed but about 3/4 full at 2:45 PM, so it was a pretty good sized audience all things considered. I honestly thought this would be the kind of movie where I would be one of the few people in the audience who got the jokes while the rest sat there scartching their heads. (This typically happens at indie comedies for me.) How wrong I was! The whole audience was roaring with laughter half the time as was I. I had to cover my mouth to keep my laughter from echoing throughout the theater.
Ovearall, I highly recommend this movie. Simple story, lots of laughs, and surprisingly avoids the formulaic approach of most romantic comedies. I give it 3 1/2 stars out of 4. Check it out!

Glad to see it climbing the list. It would not surprise me in the slightest if this thing hits the #1 spot before it finishes its run.
Old 09-01-02, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
I saw it today. I was pleasantly suprised. Not a flick I'd go to with a buddy, but I did with this girl I'm dating. It was pretty funny, and it reminded me of my family a bit. Overall, it was much better than I had preconceived it to be.
Old 09-04-02, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by joefrog91
Very funny movie. I was going to drive to Dallas to see this one when it first came out, but it eventually came to Waco. We usually don't get movies like this to play here. So, it's really suprising that it's lasted three weeks. Saw it on a Sunday afternoon and the place was packed.

My fiancee said I had better buy this when it comes out on DVD. It should pick up some Independent Spirit Awards.
You're from Waco?? I was born in Waco (moved to Dallas when I was 1) and both my parents grew up there. Small world, huh?
Old 09-05-02, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the perfect movie for anyone that actually finds anything about "Everybody Loves Raymond" funny.

Personally I don't.

For me, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" was a big, fat waste of time. It never rose above your typical middling Lifetime movie in any artistic sense. Yes, 2/3rds of the theater was full at a Sunday matinee - but those 2/3rds were all collecting their Social Security and could most likely recollect "Your Show of Shows" when it was playing in its original run.

If you find jokes about zits on your wedding day and the healing powers of Windex just fall-down hilarious, this is your film. If you sided with the Academy the year "Forrest Gump" swept the awards, then this is your film. If "Driving Ms. Daisy" and "Chocolat" occupy the top rungs of your favorite films of all time, viva la "Wedding."

And to be perfectly honest, usually I'm not quite this big of a film snob. I just have to agree wholeheartedly with one of the earlier posters on here: this film had CBS sitcom written all over it.

Isn't it fitting that most of the players in the production were culled from the small screen?
Old 09-05-02, 10:27 PM

I really have to catch this one again. I caught an airline sanitized version of it and it was butchered. It came in at only 53 minutes. The theatrical version is over 90 minutes long! Edited for content indeed!
Old 09-06-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What could the airline have possibly taken out? There was absolutely nothing over the course of the entire movie that a 6 year old couldn't watch.

Maybe 20 seconds of a naked back - not a butt - just a back.
Old 09-06-02, 05:33 PM

I think they scrubbed out all the swear words or any talk dealing with sexuality. I won't know until I see the real movie. They may simply have excised it for time--to show more movies in the same time period. This censorship is strange because on other airlines I've travelled , they showed a movie with profanity left intact. They simply showed a warning indicating the movie may not be appropriate for younger audiences. Go figure.
Old 09-06-02, 05:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
My friend and I were hoping to see the original unaltered theatrical version on our flight back from the UK on British Airways but we came back on the 1st of Sept. and BA had just changed the movies on the flights coming back into the states, oh well!
Old 09-06-02, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Giles
My friend and I were hoping to see the original unaltered theatrical version on our flight back from the UK on British Airways but we came back on the 1st of Sept. and BA had just changed the movies on the flights coming back into the states, oh well!
Nothing to take out, it is a clean movie. No words to edit, only one sceen where you see a man's back.

That is on thing I like about the movie, you did not to have graphic sex and curse words to make the movie. I would let my kids watch this with no problems.
Old 09-06-02, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Deftones17
You can't always judge someone by their name.
I wish people would judge me by mine.

Is anybody else tempted to try the Windex remedy the next time they injure themselves?
Old 09-07-02, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Very heartwarming, funny movie. Our theater was filled on a Friday night, young, old, men, women alike we were all laughing and having a great time. It's good to see a little movie go up against the big guys.

Those people at windex corporate must be happy!
Old 09-08-02, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by who me?

Those people at windex corporate must be happy!
Anyone know if the Windex people were sponsors? Maybe this was just clever product placement?
Old 09-08-02, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by cliffzig
Anyone know if the Windex people were sponsors? Maybe this was just clever product placement?
Round these parts the word is "shameless".
Old 09-09-02, 11:36 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Uppa (sp?)!

My daughter was with my parents this weekend so my wife and I went to see this. It was so much fun. I have always liked John Corbett since his Northern EXposure days and he was good, as were all the actors.

My wife thought more of the movie would be on the wedding itself, but still thoroughly enjoyed it.

It was just a fun, little funny movie that you shouldn't expect anything big out of (i.e., something like SPR or Gandhi, etc.), but just an entertaining movie that will make you laugh.

Oh shoot....I just got a papercut...anyone have any spare windex?
Old 09-14-02, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i absolutely adored this movie! completely hysterical. i'm on my way to the store to stock up on some windex!
Old 09-19-02, 01:47 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by Iron_Giant
Nothing to take out, it is a clean movie. No words to edit, only one sceen where you see a man's back.

That is on thing I like about the movie, you did not to have graphic sex and curse words to make the movie. I would let my kids watch this with no problems.
To add another perspective:

She does tear his shirt off and jump on top of him (after which they presumably have sex) after a short while dating. They are also in bed together naked (though it's not all shown) when he proposes.

Personally, I wouldn't take my 6-year-old to see that, but maybe that's just me...

(Other than that I found the movie pretty good, funny in many parts, so-so in others.)
Old 09-20-02, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by cliffzig
Nia Vardolos was doing an interview and she swears that her father really, truly uses Windex as a cure for all ills .
Old 11-28-02, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Goes pass the $200 million mark...

Well the movie has surpassed $200 million (it hoped to make $20 mil) and I'll be surprised if it doesn't take Best Comedy for Golden Globe.

NY Times article about it:
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/28/mo...REE.html?8hpib
Old 11-29-02, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by JLB
Uppa (sp?)!
I'm guessing you were going for "OPA!!!" ?? as in "Oh Pa!".....