DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   My Big Fat Greek Wedding (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/214241-my-big-fat-greek-wedding.html)

Frank TJ Mackey 06-10-02 11:43 AM

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

After hearing all the hype about this little comedy I can say it was definitely one of the funnier films I've seen this year.

Hilarious turns from indie queen Andrea Davis (almost unrecognizable) and John Corbett plus a great cast
made this a real joy.

Highly recommended.

Anybody else seen this yet??

Patman 07-13-02 06:32 PM

Holy mother of Windex, I can't remember the last time I was crying throughout a film from the laughter coming out of my mouth and gut. Even when I saw the punchline coming a mile away, it's the characters are written to be so internally consistent that it may be even funnier knowing what's coming. There's this instant familiarity in this film that engaged me, and had me almost nearly rolling down the aisle (I did have an aisle seat) at some of the utter zaniness from the humor. And furthermore, there's some real heart felt connections/emotions and side stories of going after what you want and still being able to maintain a balance between your family background/past, and who you'll become in the future.

Sure, it's not one of those meaty films that make you all introspecty-like, but for almost 2 hours, I was transported into a story of a culture clash romance/marriage that results in so many laughs/minute that I was totally entertained by the film, and so was the audience that saw it with me.

I give it 4 stars,or a grade of A.

P.S. That's Andrea Martin, not Davis.

vdadlani219 07-13-02 06:51 PM

Awesome, awesome movie. Did I mention this movie was awesome?

Tommy_Harn 07-15-02 03:49 PM

My girlfriend's friend recommended this one. She has horrible taste in movies, (she suggested "Woman on Top" and "Dr. T and the Women") so you can see why I might be skeptical.

Would you classify this one as a "chick flick"?

Addendum: New, politically correct question-
Would you classify this one as a flick only chicks would like?

Geofferson 07-15-02 04:30 PM

I haven't seen this, but have only heard great things about it. Plus, I like John Corbett, so I'll have to be sure to check it out.

Patman 07-16-02 03:26 PM

The movie is just flat out funny. Men and women both can enjoy it. I don't consider it a snivelling chick flick with a bunch of weepy women characters in it. The ensemble cast is pitch perfect.

This the kind of movie that is great to watch with an audience.

Alyoshka 07-16-02 07:20 PM

I absolutely loved this movie. I really can't fathom why it is generating negative reviews. It's well filmed and funny.

Frank TJ Mackey 07-16-02 08:56 PM

posted by Alyoshka: I really can't fathom why it is generating negative reviews.

It's got a 75% over at Rotten Tomatoes.

47 fresh, 16 rotten

so i'd say they aren't all bad

Alyoshka 07-17-02 12:14 PM

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey

It's got a 75% over at Rotten Tomatoes.

47 fresh, 16 rotten

so i'd say they aren't all bad

75% is actually pretty good. I guess I was just looking at my local area, which is usually dumb about movies. Their main complaint is that it is predictible, which is somewhat true but doesn't ruin the movie for me.

Iron_Giant 08-25-02 07:23 PM

My wife and I went on date to see the movie. It was one of the best dates we have gone on in awhile. We laughed throughout the whole movie. The theater was packed and everyone was laughing. There was so much laugher at times I could not hear the talking.

If you like funny movies, this one is worth full price.

My wife told me to buy the DVD when it comes out. There are not many movies she tells me to do that for.

Deftones 08-25-02 08:08 PM

Hmmm, I made a deal w/ someone that I'd go see this next weekend. Hopefully it won't be as bad as I'm anticipating it to be.

RichC2 08-25-02 09:01 PM

Deftones17 - going by your name, I'm guessing you'll laugh a few times but won't be all out floored by it.

I thought the flick was pretty decently made - definitly a date flick. Found it pretty boring at times, but a few parts were definitly memorable. The characters were played out pretty well, but some of the jokes didn't come off as well as I was hoping - or maybe that's just because this is my family on xmas - did I mention I hate that time of year ? :grunt:

Ah well, still good to see the underdog kicking ass and taking names.

-Rich

PacMan2006 08-25-02 09:58 PM

Can someone explain what the film is about? Does it result to dirty jokes?

Thanks in advance.

Brak55 08-25-02 10:42 PM

In it's 19th week of release, the movie had the highest average of any film in the top 10 ($5,702) and came in 4th. It cost around $5 million to make and, so far, has made $64 million. What a success story!

RichC2 08-25-02 11:03 PM

PacMan2006 - My Big Fat Greek Wedding is - for the majority - a very clean film. There is very little (if any) actual sexuality in it (Depends on what you count as "sexuality.") about a woman trying to marry outside of her Greek roots.

Here's a trailer: http://www.apple.com/trailers/indepe...ekwedding.html

-Rich

Deftones 08-25-02 11:40 PM

Originally posted by RichC2
Deftones17 - going by your name, I'm guessing you'll laugh a few times but won't be all out floored by it.

I thought the flick was pretty decently made - definitly a date flick. Found it pretty boring at times, but a few parts were definitly memorable. The characters were played out pretty well, but some of the jokes didn't come off as well as I was hoping - or maybe that's just because this is my family on xmas - did I mention I hate that time of year ? :grunt:

Ah well, still good to see the underdog kicking ass and taking names.

You can't always judge someone by their name. ;)

I am taking a girl that I'm dating, so hopefully I can stay awake throughout the movie. :lol:

Ian11 08-26-02 01:50 AM

Smartly drawn characters and genuinely funny moments throughout the whole movie. I was only expecting amusing moments like Monsoon Wedding but this movie is flat out hilarious. Definately getting this one on DVD.

joefrog91 08-26-02 11:25 AM

Very funny movie. I was going to drive to Dallas to see this one when it first came out, but it eventually came to Waco. We usually don't get movies like this to play here. So, it's really suprising that it's lasted three weeks. Saw it on a Sunday afternoon and the place was packed.

My fiancee said I had better buy this when it comes out on DVD. It should pick up some Independent Spirit Awards.

cooper2000 08-26-02 05:08 PM

I finally saw it this weekend. Wanted to see what all the hype was about. Usually when there is hype its not a good thing but this is a Winner! Funny, hearwarming at times and great dialouge and characters. How many times does Hollywood make movies that are all of the above anymore and there is not one explosion.
Not a chick flick in my opinion though I have never understood that classification of a film. Is that suppose to mean that if it has any brains or emotions in the script that only Woman are suppose to like it?
Anyone who has a family will like this movie. It may be about a Greek family but you dont have to be Greek to have a family with some of the qualities that the family in the movie does.

I read that this is the only film in recently history that has actually gone up in the Weekend Boxoffice. I think it was 8 last week and 4th this week. I can see why

This goes on my Top Ten for the year.

criptik28 08-26-02 05:18 PM

I wasn't expecting much from this movie going in, but ended up thoroughly enjoying it. I hadn't seen most of the cast before, but they all turned out great performances, especially the lead character, Nia Vardalos. Some hilarious jokes, equally appealing to guys and gals. :up:

Iron_Giant 08-27-02 12:58 AM

Originally posted by PacMan2006
Can someone explain what the film is about? Does it result to dirty jokes?

Thanks in advance.

The movie is about "Someones Big Fat Wedding."

About a Greek woman in her early 30's who falls in love with a man, but is ashamed/scared to introduce him to her loud/off the wall Greek family. The 2 get engaged and have a Big Fat Greek Wedding. It is all the stuff that happens when her Greek family is around that makes this movie funny. Has a good message at the end of the movie (somewhat like the end of the 1st Spy Kids movie, not a goofy message, just makes you think about your family).

Go see it, you won't be dissappointed.

Oh yea, no dirty jokes that I can remember.

silentbob007 08-27-02 09:13 AM

My favorite part of this movie is that it doesn't result in the time honored tradtion of
Spoiler:
the misunderdstanding break-up, then reconciliation at the end
. This was an enjoyable movie throughout.

RayChuang 08-29-02 09:02 AM

I think a lot more accolades

Originally posted by joefrog91
It should pick up some Independent Spirit Awards.
I think given the movie's strong critical and moviegoer accolades, I would not be surprised if it ends up getting 4-7 Oscar nominations, including Best Picture. Oscar voters are suckers for "little" pictures that are very well-received by everyone. :)

marty888 08-29-02 10:44 AM

From a lengthy article in today's NY Times:

It was made for $5 million, a pittance in Hollywood terms, and opened April 19 in just 108 theaters. Its popularity has grown steadily, and now, 19 weeks into its run, it is playing at more than 1,500 theaters and shows no sign of weakening. Box office receipts have topped $60 million. Last weekend, according to industry reports, it was the fourth biggest movie in the United States.

"My Big Fat Greek Wedding" has not grossed nearly as much as some of this summer's blockbusters, but it was made so cheaply that its return on investment is far greater.

Like everyone connected with the film, Ms. Vardalos is amazed by its success. "I thought this would be a nice little film, and if it had gone straight to video and been shown in Greek church basements, I would have been happy," she said. "Now I go to the mall, and people want to have their picture taken with me. It's completely crazy, way beyond what any of us had imagined."

Film industry analysts say that in the history of independent filmmaking, only two other films, "The Blair Witch Project" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," have had this kind of success. With no end to this film's popularity in sight, it could surpass them both.

evanmd 08-29-02 02:36 PM

Not trying to thread crap since everyone else is giving their viewpoint on the movie, but, I thought this was one of the worst movies of the year. It was like a TV pilot looking for a pick-up, and it will probly be turned into a TV series. I'm just glad I didn't pay to see this.