Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Most Disturbing Films Of All Time?

Old 07-31-01, 11:14 AM
Banned

Most Disturbing Films Of All Time?

I just got done watching Requiem For A Dream : Uncut, despite the fact that I've owned it for way over a month. I must say, this is one of the most disturbing films I've ever seen, but I loved it...in some sick sort of way.

It was a very powerful film...yet....very disturbing at the same time.

So I was wondering, if the trend of being disturbing yet powerful holds true, what do you guys think the most disturbing films of all time are? I'd love to check some of them out.

My votes would have to go to:

Requiem For A Dream : Uncut
The Cell
Natural Born Killers - Director's Cut

Anyone else have any that they'd like to post?
Old 07-31-01, 11:18 AM
Banned

Salo!
Old 07-31-01, 11:19 AM
Banned

Stuart Little. OH DEAR GOD NO!

Shawn
Old 07-31-01, 11:28 AM

Requiem For A Dream without a second thought
Old 07-31-01, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Henry:Portrait of a Serial Killer

Any Movie Frank Zappa made

Eraserhead

Cannonball Run II
Old 07-31-01, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Se7en

Kids
Old 07-31-01, 11:51 AM

Requiem for a dream
Jacob's Ladder

and for mt girlfriend
American Psycho
Old 07-31-01, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

bloodsucking freaks
Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS
I Spit on your Grave
Old 07-31-01, 11:58 AM

I have never been more disturbed by a movie than I was when I watched John Waters' "Pink Flamingos." I have never felt the need to fast forward through a movie scene before that film.
Old 07-31-01, 12:06 PM
Suspended

Pink Flamingos eh? What scene might be in it that disturbs people? Is it perhaps sloppin down "mud" pies like in Salo?
Old 07-31-01, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Of course disturbing is in the eyes of the beholder. But some titles that rattle my cage include:

Cries and Whispers
Spoiler:
the broken glass & vagina

The Tennant
Spoiler:
mostly just the whole atmosphere of the movie, but the scene where he seems himself/herself in the window across the apartment building always grabs me

The Night Porter
Spoiler:
again, mostly the mood of the whole piece. but i find the flashbacks to the concentration camp hard to watch

echo, Eraserhead
Spoiler:
dancing on the fetuses, the squirming chicken dinner, etal.
Old 07-31-01, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Salo. Period. As a fan of disturbing/disturbed cinema, I have to say it takes the cake.

Also:

Clean, Shaven
Blue Velvet
Pixote (extremely depressing)
Happiness
Straw Dogs
Out Of The Blue
Boys Don't Cry
Midnight Express
A Clockwork Orange
Crash

I haven't seen Requiem For A Dream, mainly because I hear it's shot in a flashy, MTV style. That style can ruin movies for me - Fight Club, for instance.
Old 07-31-01, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hmmm... i didn't find Requiem of a Dream disturbing at all, maybe i'm disturbed?

Anytime i watch True Romance i have to fast forward the part where patricia arquette and the dude from the sopranos fights and he beats the crap out of her and throws her thru a glass shower door etc. That disturbs me.
Old 07-31-01, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I must chime in with Begotten, for its form as well as content! It goes beyond ugly to beautiful...
Old 07-31-01, 12:27 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Man Bites Dog. I couldn't finish watching it.
Old 07-31-01, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jepthah
I must chime in with Begotten, for its form as well as content! It goes beyond ugly to beautiful...
Yikes! Beware The Begotten! I love strange cinema, but The Begotten looked like a bunch of people trying as hard as possible to be strange and not really pulling it off.
Old 07-31-01, 12:45 PM

I'd vote for...

Seven

The Hitcher

(I know The Hitcher is old, but it really got to me a the time... I wanted to kill Rutger Hauer myself by the end of that movie...)
Old 07-31-01, 12:56 PM
Banned

I must agree with the True Romance scene with James Gondolfini throwing Arquette threw the shower and stuff.

That was hardcore
Old 07-31-01, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And the correct answer is....

CUTTING MOMENTS

The only film to come close is Salo.
Old 07-31-01, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ah, we must not forget Seul Contre Tous a.k.a. I Stand Alone.

Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy and huggy.
Old 07-31-01, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I feel sorry for you pal, because your missing out on a really good film. Excellent, actually. The way Reqieum for A Dream was shot has nothing to do with its story and preformances, because they come at you strongly nonetheless. It's the same way with Fight Club, whether you had a problem with how it was shot, don't take it away from the film itself.

Anyways, your missing out on a real treat (reqieum for a dream) if you don't give this movie a viewing.

Originally posted by ehonauer

I haven't seen Requiem For A Dream, mainly because I hear it's shot in a flashy, MTV style. That style can ruin movies for me - Fight Club, for instance.
Old 07-31-01, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by filmguy

whether you had a problem with how it was shot, don't take it away from the film itself.

The way a film is shot has a lot to do with one's enjoyment of it. And usually I find that if directors think they are clever-clever and want to razzle-dazzle me with fancy high-speed cuts, they either a) don't have much to say, or b) are not really sure how to communicate their message. This isn't some absolute rule I have - I liked Natural Born Killers because the message and the medium were well blended. It's just that most of the time when directors fancy it up they spend too much time worrying about style and not enough about substance - Trainspotting, Go, Matrix, Fight Club, blah blah blah. Yeah it's exhilirating but it's as filling as a snowcone.

I will end up watching Requiem For A Dream at some point - I hope it lives up to its reputation!
Old 07-31-01, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I was 16 years old, I went to see "Halloween" on opening night. I think the way the movie was filmed(I am not saying the director did a bad job, he did a GREAT job - he really scared me) and the subject matter was very disturbing. I still remember how the movie let the audience only see through the eyes of the mask.

The week after seeing "Halloween", I went to see "The eyes of Laura Mars". I have never been to another movie like those again.

I would much rather go and see a Comedy or a Sci-Fi movie. I do not like any kind of psycho movie.

Movies like "Halloween" and "Eyes of Laura Mars" cannot be helping those who are all ready a little over the edge.
Old 07-31-01, 01:56 PM

i am surprised no one said this before me, but, texas chainsaw massacre was the only movie that really got under my skin, i mean ive seen all types of movies from lucio fulici to henry: portait of a serial killer, but the only time i got nightmares from a movie was when that image of the chick hanging from the meat hookfollowed me into bed.
Old 07-31-01, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jan Svankmajer's "Alice" movie is a disturbing version of Alice in Wonderland.

Any animations by "The Brothers Quay" are freaky; the most famous one being "The Street of Crocodiles". They are stop-motion animations that use bones, insects, china dolls, pieces of raw meat, grunge, machinery and stark lighting.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.