Community
Search

One and Only ANIME Discussion Thread pt. 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-00, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Evolution:
Hey all. I'm an anime virgin... I was thinking of using a 20 off 50 at express to order the lain lunchbox set. It just looks awesome and seems like it has the kind of plot that would interest me. I've heard so many people go on about the damn lunchbox. Could anyone please give me his/her opinion of the actual movies?
'E
<HR>

I haven't seen Lain and don't plan on seeing it. From what i've heard, it's a psychological thriller of sorts... but I really don't know much more about it except that the animation (caracter wise) doesn't seem very impressive.
Old 11-18-00, 03:40 PM

Lain is different... that's all there is to really describe it. Psychological thriller with lots of sci-fi elements involved. Questions of reallity and the future. Who is God? Et Cetera...

I'm not sure that I would recommend it for an anime virgin, but it is worth watching. I did not like it enough to want to pick up one of those lunchboxes, but that's just me. I do own the DVDs and consider them a worth investment.

In other news... just got the new EVA disc from Buy.com!!! Gonna pop it in soon.

------------------
Tyler
Old 11-18-00, 06:04 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Trigger:
I thought Armitage would include the original language. <HR>

I'm fairly certain that Armitage was never made with a Japanese track, but that the original is the English one.

As I'm not 100% sure, anyone care to back me up on this? ^_^x

quote:<HR>[B]Otaku - which apparently means "Anime geek" - if you're posting in this forum, you might be an otaku-neck.[B]<HR>

Actually, the word "otaku" is just a general term for a fan or enthusiast, although it is used quite often in reference to anime ^_^

[This message has been edited by PhoenixFlame (edited November 18, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by PhoenixFlame (edited November 18, 2000).]
Old 11-19-00, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by PhoenixFlame:
Actually, the word "otaku" is just a general term for a fan or enthusiast, although it is used quite often in reference to anime ^_^
<HR>

Thanks for the clarification! I was just trying to be a little funny anyway with that statement. I didn't know what it meant and someone told me that it's a serious anime fan or something from the previous thread... but thanks for clearing that up. Also - as I was told - Armitage was an OVA at first which was then cut together to make the film. I also could be wrong since the only version I've seen is the one with the ghastly english track... Elizabeth Berkely's voice makes me go into stomach convulsions and Keifer Sutherland does a pretty bad acting job as well. All too distracting. I watched it tonight (again - first time was over a year ago) and I think it was a pretty decent anime, but it didn't end up making too much sense in the end. It was a weak version of GITS - really weak - and not even that comparable. It had some decent animation - OVA quality - but the story didn't have a very cohesive thread.

I recieved Nadesico today... I really don't like it much at all. I can see where the jokes were, but I didn't find them funny - I just found them annoying. The characters were childishly slapstick... the whole thing was pretty childish and better suited to come on TV right after Sailor Moon. I thought it would be more intelligent or thought provoking or at the very least entertaining. It wasn't for me... I suppose I can see why people who like the giant robot/mecha animes or animes for kids would be into this one. It did have a bit of adult wit thrown in. However, not enough to carry me through the parts where they were yelling and carrying on and being silly. I also watched Jubei Chan: Ninja Girl vol.1 today which was also a silly comedy... For some reason I was laughing the whole way through Jubei - I think it was because the jokes came fast and furious, while with Nadesico - the jokes kinda were set up and fell flat and then dwelled upon for a few seconds more... and I don't know if it's really supposed to be a comedy or if it's just got a comedic aspect to it. Jubei is a comedy and it's damn funny... I wasn't into it at first (prolly cuz I started with the second disc), but now I really like it - it's just so bizarre and has a strange hold on me. I wouldn't recommend either one of them to normal people - but to friends of mine who have the same tastes in humor and strange cinema I'd surely recommend Jubei Chan. Tylerwillis and Feneant both suggested Nadesico to me, so I'm holding you two responsible ^_^. We had the discussion about it on page one of the Guide to Anime thread, but I'll continue it here instead so we don't clutter up that thread with jibber jabber.

Anyway - I already have the second Nadesico disc on order, so it's too late to back out now. I'll try to sell it to my local video store maybe... I'll give it another chance, but I'm pretty sure I didn't like it much at all. Perhaps it's over my head or beneath me - either way I don't really care for mecha stuff, so perhaps there was alot of inside stuff I didn't get (although I doubt it because it was so formulaic that I could see it all coming a mile away)... Anyway - that's what I did today cuz I'm sick - watched anime all day.
Old 11-19-00, 02:25 PM

I recieved Nadesico today... I really don't like it much at all. Tylerwillis and Feneant both suggested Nadesico to me, so I'm holding you two responsible ^_^. We had the discussion about it on page one of the Guide to Anime thread, but I'll continue it here instead so we don't clutter up that thread with jibber jabber.
<HR>

That's a shame, Nadesico is a very good story, but yeah, it is comedy (didn't I say that somewhere). Sorry for making you buy it, but will all the dvd's you buy, you seem to be made of money. Do like I did, invest it all in the crumbling markets and then you won't have any left to buy dvd's with.
Old 11-19-00, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Feneant:
That's a shame, Nadesico is a very good story, but yeah, it is comedy (didn't I say that somewhere). Sorry for making you buy it, but will all the dvd's you buy, you seem to be made of money. Do like I did, invest it all in the crumbling markets and then you won't have any left to buy dvd's with.<HR>

Oh - I knew it was going to be a comedy - only the cover is misleading... I just didn't find it very funny... not as funny as Jubei Chan anyway. Like I said - perhaps the jokes just fell flat with me becuase I'm not a huge Mecha fan. Maybe the story will get better on the second disc (which I can't cancel at this point), but so far I just can't get into it. All I can say WRT my buying so many DVDs is that I'm getting myself into a sinkhole of credit card debt so fast it's making my head spin.
Old 11-19-00, 06:06 PM

DOH! Trigger, I am much sorry. I just finished off watching Vol5 (VHS -- Urgh!) of Nadesico, and have been loving it more and more. And I am not what you what call a mecha fan. I think it pokes fun at mecha and at itself.

But hey, we're all entitled to our opinions. So long as you don't come and hunt me down for recommend it to ya.

------------------
Tyler
Old 11-19-00, 06:16 PM

Trigger, your taste in anime differs from mine quite a bit . I only saw the first episode of Jubei Chan and I wasn't very impressed, the only funny parts are her father and the kid with the kickass T-shirt. You might get to like Nadesico has the story progresses, but it does stick to the same humor for all 26 episodes (The movie is a drama though).

I watched most of the first Outlaw Star set this weekend, anyone find it odd how it jumps to chapter 11 for 2 seconds after each episode? It's like tracks on an audio cd.
Old 11-19-00, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

<HR>

I believe that the term otaku is a bit derogatory. The intent is more like "obsessive nerd" than simply the benign "enthusiast". I take it that it's not a compliment in Japan.
Old 11-20-00, 01:10 AM

Ah, yes, Armitage was a multi-volume OVA at first (which is available in subtitled version), but I was referring to the Polymatrix. I really wish they would put the OVAs on DVD, if they haven't planned to do so already ^_^;

On the word otaku, I believe you're right, as another definition that Jeffrey's dictionary server came up with was geek ^_^

In any event - I can't wait for the release of Fake and Earthian ... our first strongly shounen ai themed anime DVD's ^____^

I also recommend Nightwalker, which is coming out next year ... rather unheard of, but pretty enjoyable. Some adult situations and some shounen ai - a gothicy vampire anime.

Does anyone know anything about the release of X / 1999 and the next two seasons of Utena?

[This message has been edited by PhoenixFlame (edited November 19, 2000).]
Old 11-20-00, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Now I just need to find out what "shounen ai" is and my life will be complete.

I'm not really mad at anyone for suggesting Nadesico - I asked... Lots of people really like it - it just wasn't for me. As for anime humor in general - I think we have different tastes - you all seem to like the shouting and acting all crazy, while I prefer the quirky more reserved and subtle humor. I never really liked those kinds of anime where the characters scream and yell during a conversation and their faces get all crazy... I know that eliminates 70% of all anime, but there's still alot of anime I like.
Old 11-20-00, 02:19 PM

Hio PhoenixFlame

and here is a definative answer to Armitage

Armitage was originally an OVA made into a Movie

the OVA "IS" is Japanese (but its hard to find anymore)

The Movie which seems to be the more definative version (idunno why...it...just...is)

Was only released in English
**(with Japanese subtitles in theathers

I don't believe the Armitage OVA was ever released in the US... So the Movie stands as the original language version...

did I make that clear or are you more confused

PS I was told over summer there is another Armitage OVA in the works

DeadMilkman www.sluggy.com
Old 11-20-00, 02:25 PM

Jubei-chan also is loaded with inside jokes...esp if you've ever seen Child's toy...

Any of you been lucky enough to stumble onto FLCL (FuriKuri) its Gainax's latest...
(imagine combining Evangelion, Lain, and KareKano)

Oh well Nadesico fans Dan of ADV posted that the vol 2 would be postponed until 1/5/01 in case you hadn't heard

And a little warning to all who will listen...Generator Gawl is mind numbingly awful....its like Terminator Two + any monster of the week show...Be wary

DM/Rob
AoD
Old 11-20-00, 06:11 PM

Hey Dead_Milkman

Yeah, I kinda figured that with the story of the Armitage OVA's. They were released to the US though, both in subtitled form and dubbed form, but only on VHS. You can find them lounging around on Amazon, screaming to be made into DVD's so I can buy them ^_~

As for the term "shounen ai", Trigger ... I'm not sure if you'd really want to know, but here goes ^_^;;

The two words literally mean "boy love". Shounen ai storylines are rather popular with girls in Japan, and involve male-male romance themes. It's an odd psychological thing that I think only us girls would understand. Don't get me wrong, I'm heterosexual through and through.

It's not a sexual thing either - not the way guys apparently love watching two lesbians going at it -_-; But in any event - I don't think anyone wants me to attempt and explain the rationalization behind it, so I'll just leave it at that for now ^_^x Really though ... there's just something so aesthetically exquisite in the desolate desperation of an illicit romance.

Ah - I'm psychotic. Get me off this topic ... o_O
Old 11-20-00, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm... well... thanks for the explanation. That's kinda what I figured it meant based on the context... wasn't sure. As I understand, Fake doesn't involve homosexual sex... just man-love like you said. I don't understand the attraction I guess, but it certainly is popluar. I also don't understand the Japanese penchant for hermaphrodite demons. Oh well - so much I don't understand - and yet somehow I'm able to function in society. Either way - I'm staying away from Fake (not because I'm homophobic, but I just don't think I'm the film's target audience).

As for Armitage - the movie is garbage... I'd like to hear a different dub or even the sub version of the OVA. I also watched Ninja Resurrection again last night just to make sure it was crappy before I sold it to Spun.com... it was crappy. The violent scenes are pretty cool, but not even close to being worth it. It's a loooong and boring religious drama with scenes of incoherent random blood-baths. If anyone hasn't seen it and was wanting to check it out - just forget about it. It's a waste of time.
Old 11-21-00, 12:29 AM

Maybe off topic, but I wanted to know what the anime on your (PhoneixFlame) page was all about... I've never heard of it. And where are you a student?

------------------
Tyler
Old 11-21-00, 06:01 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by tylerwillis:
Maybe off topic, but I wanted to know what the anime on your (PhoneixFlame) page was all about... I've never heard of it. And where are you a student?
<HR>

Interesting, I wouldn't mind knowing myself... all I know is that it's either fansubbed or not in america...
Old 11-21-00, 07:01 PM

Oh wow ... I haven't worked on my page in so long that I'm surprised it's still up. A million broken links, pages which aren't up yet, and some terrible graphics and layout design. But thanks for looking

Actually, the character on my site is from the series Yu Yu Hakusho. Animeigo was considering working on the TV series a while back, but another anime got voted on to be their next DVD project. However, two of the movies for this series, Yu Yu Hakusho: The Movie and Yu Yu Hakusho: Poltergeist Report, are available in subbed and dubbed form on VHS.

Good news, though ^_^ A Ninku/Yu Yu Hakusho double feature(movie version of YYH, not sure which) is coming to DVD January 30th, although I've never seen or heard of Ninku.

YYH is quite a few years old, but was popular during it's time. Action-packed with an interesting, solid storyline. The movies are much like the Endless Waltz Gundam movie; hard to understand and appreciate all by themselves.

Hope this helped
Old 11-21-00, 09:01 PM

hmmm, I have a few episodes of that lying around, but I was told by my brother that it wasn't very good, and the quality is not very good so I never bothered to watch it.

I looked at the dvd since it's inexpensive but I won't buy it due to the expense of "importing" it from the US (pathetic concept eh...maybe I can have Amazon ship it to Japan first and then consider it a real import)
Old 11-22-00, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good news, though ^_^ A Ninku/Yu Yu Hakusho double feature(movie version of YYH, not sure which) is coming to DVD January 30th, although I've never seen or heard of Ninku.
<HR>

Same day as my Birthday.

On a side note - I went ahead and preordered the Irresponsible Captain Tylor TV series box set from 800.com - got it for around 60% off and couldn't resist. I've seen a few .mov clips of it and it looks mediocre - is it good or what? Should I just ebay it or watch it or what? How does the TV series compare to the OVA?
Old 11-22-00, 04:27 PM

On a side note - I went ahead and preordered the Irresponsible Captain Tylor TV series box set from 800.com - got it for around 60% off and couldn't resist. I've seen a few .mov clips of it and it looks mediocre - is it good or what? Should I just ebay it or watch it or what? How does the TV series compare to the OVA?<HR>

Never seen this series myself, but you might want to watch it first, and then eBay it - just push the fact that it's only been watched once and in pristine condition, etc. ^_~

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Feneant:
I looked at the dvd since it's inexpensive but I won't buy it due to the expense of "importing" it from the US (pathetic concept eh...maybe I can have Amazon ship it to Japan first and then consider it a real import)<HR>

Hehe, for some reason, DVD's in Japan seem to be extremely expensive. I was searching for one of the former J-Rock (Visual Kei) singer hide matsumoto, and I believe it was around $50 or so. *Sob* Perhaps it's just a limited edition release ^^;

And to digress even further - anime CD's there are rather expensive too. About $30 (in Japan!) for many anime soundtracks.

Old 11-22-00, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hehe, for some reason, DVD's in Japan seem to be extremely expensive. I was searching for one of the former J-Rock (Visual Kei) singer hide matsumoto, and I believe it was around $50 or so. *Sob* Perhaps it's just a limited edition release ^^;

And to digress even further - anime CD's there are rather expensive too. About $30 (in Japan!) for many anime soundtracks.

<HR>

I don't know where you're looking for your HK movies - but typically they are around 10 bucks or less USD... perhaps what you're looking at is listed in their currency. $50 in HK is something like 8 bux US - someone wanna help me out explaining this one? Go to DDDHouse or Hivizone and check out the prices there... they don't have many anime titles though. There are other sites with better selections... go to the online store forum and do a search for it. Also - go to google.com and do a search for "currency exchange rates" or something and find a site that can tell you how much a dollar is worth vs. international currency.
Old 11-22-00, 06:56 PM

Hehe, Trigger, your post about the Tylor box set made me go and blow $67... look, I have to go to college next semester... we can't keep doing this...

Nothing like buying anime blind...

------------------
Tyler
Old 11-22-00, 08:15 PM

I don't know where you're looking for your HK movies - but typically they are around 10 bucks or less USD... perhaps what you're looking at is listed in their currency. $50 in HK is something like 8 bux US - someone wanna help me out explaining this one? Go to DDDHouse or Hivizone and check out the prices there... they don't have many anime titles though. There are other sites with better selections... go to the online store forum and do a search for it. Also - go to google.com and do a search for "currency exchange rates" or something and find a site that can tell you how much a dollar is worth vs. international currency.<HR>

Nope, it's not an HK movie, but a DVD compilation of music videos by a Japanese artist. The scary part; the price actually is as listed in USD. x_x
Old 11-22-00, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope, it's not an HK movie, but a DVD compilation of music videos by a Japanese artist. The scary part; the price actually is as listed in USD. x_x
<HR>

Well - alot of the asian vendors sell Japanese VCDs and DVDs, and some at more reasonable prices than others - I'd look around. That IS a scary price.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.