One and Only ANIME Discussion Thread pt. 2

Old 11-14-00, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Decided to close out (moderator, please make it so) the old discussion and open a new one since the old one was getting quite long...

Here's a link to the old one:
One and Only Anime Thread

Here's a link to a guide to Anime:
A Guide To Anime
Please contribute.

This thread is where you all can talk about anime on DVD, VHS and in general. My current favorites are: Cowboy Bebop, Perfect Blue, and Ghost in the Shell. The last few discussions from the first thread were about Mecha anime - Nadesico etc, Fatal Fury OVA, and Otaku - which apparently means "Anime geek" - if you're posting in this forum, you might be an otaku-neck.

Anyway - new topic to start off with - there has been news posted that the Serial Experiments Lain Lunchbox DVD set will not be released... I did a little research and AFAIK, only the Lunchbox produced by a certain company will be discontinued. Pioneer still plans to produce the mini lunchbox. There has been no statement that the DVD set will no longer come in a Lunchbox. I asked the Right Stuf and they replied this:

quote:
Hello!!

Thank you for your email.

The large lunch box was cancelled. The set with dvds has not been released. We are unsure as to when this will be made available. We suggest you watch our website at www.rightstuf.com for all the latest.
If you have any further questions or comments please contact our customer service department at 1-800-338-6827 or outside the U.S. at 1-515-252-6116. Our office hours are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. central standard time Monday through Friday.

Thank you,
ALM/TRSI Customer Service

Here's a reply I got from ADV when I asked them about Spriggan and Devil Hunter Yohko and Gunsmith Cats.

quote:
trigger,

here's the WORD, spriggan is hitting the world on film festivals and then we'll drop it in the states for a full theatrical release then a dvd release is iminent. Gunsmith is soon to come on dvd. and the rest of our old school releases are on a long list of dvd releases. don't worry. it'll all come soon. check our press releases to ge the official word. http://www.advfilms.com/press.html
the prophet

Anyhow - carry on.

^_^
Old 11-14-00, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Full theatrical release as in it'll play for about a week in about 1% of the cities in Canada... maybe in the US itll play but here I highly doubt it.

And what is it with you and Gunsmith Cats?? It's only 3 episodes and not very impressive... I say get Riding Bean instead... it's somewhat based on the same thing and much much funnier.
Old 11-14-00, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lunchbox news courtesy www.animeondvd.com
Some new information came in to us today from the good folks at Right Stuf concerning the Serial Experiments Lain lunchbox. Apparently, some big chain retailers (such as Suncoast) managed to get some of the lunchboxes to sell. It looks like most small retailers are out of luck in getting them. So where did they all go? Pioneer's snapped 'em all up to make the DVD box set. The company producing the lunchboxes, Palisades, has indicated that they aren't making anymore of them, though the mini lunchbox will be available in February. So the larger lunchbox that will come with the DVD set will be a truly limited item overall.

I vote we start a discussion on how totally awesome the Kanedaís Bike piece is from McFarlane Toys

Unless itís already been discussed of course.

[This message has been edited by jonathan.e (edited November 14, 2000).]
Old 11-14-00, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't explain my love for Gunsmith Cats - it's almost more like an american anime than a true anime... I just like it. The girls aren't that hot and the stories are pretty dumb, but I guess the animation of the guns kinda impresses me. It's just one of those things. I know there are better out there.

Old 11-14-00, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by jonathan.e:
Lunchbox news courtesy www.animeondvd.com
Some new information came in to us today from the good folks at Right Stuf concerning the Serial Experiments Lain lunchbox. Apparently, some big chain retailers (such as Suncoast) managed to get some of the lunchboxes to sell. It looks like most small retailers are out of luck in getting them. So where did they all go? Pioneer's snapped 'em all up to make the DVD box set. The company producing the lunchboxes, Palisades, has indicated that they aren't making anymore of them, though the mini lunchbox will be available in February. So the larger lunchbox that will come with the DVD set will be a truly limited item overall.

I vote we start a discussion on how totally awesome the Kanedaís Bike piece is from McFarlane Toys

Unless itís already been discussed of course

That's what I suspected deep down - now that it's confirmed I'm overjoyed since I ordered this thing. Woo hoo!

Those toys look pretty cool - I'm not a collector, but I like em.

[This message has been edited by Trigger (edited November 14, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Trigger (edited November 14, 2000).]
Old 11-14-00, 09:40 PM

I got Kaneda and Tetsuo but I haven't been able to find the bike anywhere! They're damn awesome!
Old 11-14-00, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Check out Ebay, thereís one guy who must have a warehouse full and his auctions regularly end at around $30 for all three pieces.
Old 11-14-00, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Woo!
Old 11-14-00, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
the lunch boxes are everywhere in los angeles, suncoast, comic stores, etc. they run about 12 bucks or so.
Old 11-14-00, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by Jackskeleton:
the lunch boxes are everywhere in los angeles, suncoast, comic stores, etc. they run about 12 bucks or so.

Well La-Dee-Da... must be nice to live in LA. Where I live they don't have any at any price. If for some strange reason my DVD set doesn't come in a lunchbox - I know a few online places to pick one up or I can have my cousin pick one up for me. I still wish there was a Lain Thermos coming with it.
Old 11-14-00, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
well trigger, you don't have to sound all pissed. remember, thats what a forum community is for. to help each other out, if you like i can pick one up for you.
Old 11-15-00, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wasn't pissed - I was saying "la-dee-da" as a joke... you kinda sounded like you were bragging about it (or padding your post count) that you had them everywhere in LA... so I thought it would be funny to be equally snotty and say "la-dee-da" - wasn't trying to sound pissed or serious or jerky or whatever. Plus this was the second or third time you've mentioned how easy these lunchboxes are to come by.

[This message has been edited by Trigger (edited November 15, 2000).]
Old 11-15-00, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched some of the MIB cartoon this morning and it kinda had an anime look and feel to it - what's up with that? I remember seeing some of it a few weeks ago and it looked like a crappy american cartoon with bad animation and voice acting and childing stories.
Old 11-15-00, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:
Originally posted by Trigger:
I watched some of the MIB cartoon this morning and it kinda had an anime look and feel to it - what's up with that? I remember seeing some of it a few weeks ago and it looked like a crappy american cartoon with bad animation and voice acting and childing stories.

HERESY!!!! It doesn't look one bit like anime imo... and the story sucks to boot.
Old 11-15-00, 10:37 AM

Can anyone tell me about an OAV called Cutey Honey from 1994? 800.com has it for $16.95. Is it worth it?
Old 11-15-00, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Where online can people still order the Lain lunchbox? And how much does it run? I'm kinda in the middle on owning it, as I have the series, and I'm lukewarm, but the lunchbox looks alright.

Old 11-15-00, 03:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jackskeleton:
well trigger, you don't have to sound all pissed. remember, thats what a forum community is for. to help each other out, if you like i can pick one up for you.

Jack, can you pick one of these up for me? I can pay for it using paypal. Add a few extra bucks for yourself if needed. There are none of these things here in Michigan. I have gone to like 3 diffrent Suncoasts and nothing!

Please.. please.. pretty please!
Old 11-15-00, 06:30 PM

I just watched Samurai X (2nd disc) and it was awesome - less bloodshed, but the same great plot...fans of the first volume will find the story nicely wrapped up...where does teh TV series start?

And I watched the 2nd disc of Neon Genesis (got it on monday from an online retailer..not buy.com) and while I didn't think episodes 5 and 6 were that great, 7 and 8 were awesome. The picture quality wasn't that strong either.

Old 11-15-00, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by Fate7:
Can anyone tell me about an OAV called Cutey Honey from 1994? 800.com has it for $16.95. Is it worth it?

Many people think it's crappy... I haven't seen it yet, but I understand it was created by the same people that did LA Blue Girl and Devilman(?). I ordered it a few months ago and am now kinda having doubts and regrets and I still haven't even seen it.
Old 11-16-00, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got a notice that buy.com shipped my Iria DVD the other day... I should get it today or tomorrow. Whoop whoop. I've been thirsting for some new anime. I've got Samurai x coming, but I don't know when.
Old 11-16-00, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No Iria - but I did get Armitage III and Jubei Chan. I thought Armitage would include the original language. I'm upset... I also got Perfect Storm. I know what I'm doing tonight - watching so-so DVDs.
Old 11-16-00, 03:59 PM

quote:
Many people think it's crappy... I haven't seen it yet, but I understand it was created by the same people that did LA Blue Girl and Devilman(?). I ordered it a few months ago and am now kinda having doubts and regrets and I still haven't even seen it.

Thanks for the info. I ordered it anyways. I figure if it sucks, there is always someone on half.com or e-bay who will buy off me. I'll let you know how it is.

Old 11-17-00, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by Fate7:

Thanks for the info. I ordered it anyways. I figure if it sucks, there is always someone on half.com or e-bay who will buy off me. I'll let you know how it is.
I'll let you know how it is if I get my copy first. I didn't get to watch Armitage or Jubei Chan tonight because the crew wanted to watch Perfect Storm (what a steaming pile of crap that was), so I'll chime in on my thoughts when I watch them tomorrow... I've seen Armitage before and remember it as kinda sucking - we'll see if the DVD adds excitement to it. Still waiting for Iria... tomorrow perhaps!
Old 11-18-00, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok - I got Iria, Key The Metal Idol (1 and 3), and Powerpuff Girls today. I watched the first Key and Iria. Iria wasn't as good as I thought it would be. I'd probably give it a 5 - 6 tops. Animation was closer to TV quality than OVA and the story was mediocre. Key was another matter... First time with Key for me... I thought the animation was consistent with an OVA (as if I'm some expert), and the story is shaping up pretty good. I kinda think it's dragging on a bit. They could've shortened this quite a bit and not lost anything. It sure takes its time moving along. As for the disc itself - MAN is it ever packed! I can't believe they got so much on one DVD. There is so much supplemental VIZ catalog material, it could've been sent out seperately as a promo disc. There is also 3 and a half hours worth of episodes on this disc. Amazing. Plus 2 languages, subtitles, interviews, photo galleries etc... just lots of stuff. I'm completely satisfied with this purchase. Key is cool enough for me as far as bang for buck. Aside from the story dragging on kinda slow - the episodes end so strangely - the kinda seem to end on an off-beat... like they either should've stopped half a minute earlier or half a minute later. I'm hoping the second disc will reveal more and make me appreciate what I've already seen more than I do. I'm holding off on the third disc until the second one ships to me. Thanks to whoever suggested Key to me... My girlfriend suggested Iria to me and she lost anime clout with me... it's ok, but I'd say rent it. So far I give Key a 7... hopefully it will pick up some. Tomorrow I watch Armitage (again - first time was VHS) and Jubei Chan 1 (already saw 2).
Old 11-18-00, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey all. I'm an anime virgin... I was thinking of using a 20 off 50 at express to order the lain lunchbox set. It just looks awesome and seems like it has the kind of plot that would interest me. I've heard so many people go on about the damn lunchbox. Could anyone please give me his/her opinion of the actual movies?

'E

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.