Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > Key Thread Archive
Reload this Page >

Anyone with experience on "talking" to get a better interest rate w/ credit card?

Anyone with experience on "talking" to get a better interest rate w/ credit card?

Old 12-30-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Will ALL (most or some) credit card companies give in if you ask for a 0% or you'll close the account and transfer it to another that offers 0%? Does it depend on how've you been as a customer with on time payments, how much you have charged, etc? I've never low balled with credit card csr's so I'm looking for a little help before I call 2 of mine up.
A little about my credit card can be read below.....
I have a 0% that expires at the end of next month. I thought the balance would be paid off by then, but not going to happen now that I went overboard with Christmas and other things. It was for 9 months I believe and then it goes to 7.9%

I've had a Discover Platnium since 99 and finally got it where it's paid in full every month starting about 6 months ago. Those bastards have never sent me or offered me any kind of 0% balance transfer in the 5+ years I've been with them.
Old 12-30-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You have two options. One, just call and ask if they can do better, and many times, they'll drop it on request.

Option two is to tell them you've been offered a better rate (pick a rate) by a competitor (pick a competitor) and ask them if they can do anything for you.
Old 12-30-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Bushdog
You have two options. One, just call and ask if they can do better, and many times, they'll drop it on request.

Option two is to tell them you've been offered a better rate (pick a rate) by a competitor (pick a competitor) and ask them if they can do anything for you.
I definitely have option 2 right in front of me with Citi. Just really don't want to open another credit card account. I applied for the GM card and it had a catch to it. They sent me some paper to sign and to supply some more information, but I shredded it. I take it the application will be thrown out if the reply is not sent within so much time. I think I'll call them anyhow just so they know I am not interested anymore.

When they say "Pre-Approved" does that mean you are 100% sure to get approved? I've been getting these 0% quite often lately. I think it's because I got a couple "collection" errors fixed, and also had my job of over a year updated which is double the income from the previous. Also, my debt is about GONE!

Thanks for the help!!

ADDED: Called Discover and the BT rate was 4.9% until March. I told her that did not want to leave but have this 0% pre-approved Citi card application that is good until July 2004. She "looked" again and the best she could do was 3.9%

Oh well, they give me the free Block Buster rental cards, so I've got to stay. ....I'm going to try my Capital One Visa (set to expire end of next month) sometime during the week....

Last edited by LX98Civic; 12-30-03 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-30-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk God

call them up, and say xxxxxx company has offered you a rate of xxxxx for six months on balance transfers, and xxxxxx for the life of the card. usually they will give in and drop it, but you may need to speak to a supervisor.
Old 12-30-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Deftones
call them up, and say xxxxxx company has offered you a rate of xxxxx for six months on balance transfers, and xxxxxx for the life of the card. usually they will give in and drop it, but you may need to speak to a supervisor.
Yeah, if I can't get the 0% extended with Capital One I'm going to call Discover back and talk to a supervisor. 6 years, never late, offers all the time for 0% from others, and the best you can do is 3.9% for 3 months, WTF?
Old 12-30-03, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
I think it depends on what kind of car you drive and which bunk you happen to reside on.
Old 12-30-03, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why don't you just roll over and ask your brother?
Old 12-30-03, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

3 responses before a Top Bunk reference.

Classic
Old 12-31-03, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

F**k you A**holes! $hit is sooooo damn old. You guys beat it to death in that one thread, hahaha. I'm just asking for some advice and you guys start talking your $hit! You guys are pricks!!! If I ever saw you in person and you said that I WOULD KNOOCK YOU ON YOUR F**KIN A$$!!!! You wouldn't say it in person, because you know it would get personal and a$$ whippin's would start. I NEVER talk $hit on the net because it's a joke too. But, you f**ks won't let it go. :MAD:

Anyhow, I'm moving out this year. Probably got a better job than you f**ks!!!!! I bet one of you is some old f**kin' slob who has NO LIFE and just trying to stir $hit up. YEAH, OLD FAT F**KS!!!! If the old is not right, I KNOW at least one of you is a FAT BASTARD!!!!

Last edited by LX98Civic; 12-31-03 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-31-03, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by LX98Civic
F**k you A**holes! $hit is sooooo damn old. You guys beat it to death in that one thread, hahaha. I'm just asking for some advice and you guys start talking your $hit! You guys are pricks!!! If I ever saw you in person and you said that I WOULD KNOOCK YOU ON YOUR F**KIN A$$!!!! Top bunk that bitches!!!

Anyhow, I'm moving out this year. Probably got a better job than you dumb f**ks!!!!!
This one is gonna be classic.
Old 12-31-03, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk God

F**k you A**holes! $hit is sooooo damn old. You guys beat it to death in that one thread, hahaha. I'm just asking for some advice and you guys start talking your $hit! You guys are pricks!!! If I ever saw you in person and you said that I WOULD KNOOCK YOU ON YOUR F**KIN A$$!!!! Top bunk that bitches!!!

Anyhow, I'm moving out this year. Probably got a better job than you dumb f**ks!!!!!
it's stuff like this that doesn't get you respect around here. is it right that they are bagging on you? probably not, but take it up w/ a mod, and not by acting like a 10 year old and calling everyone names.
Old 12-31-03, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Deftones
it's stuff like this that doesn't get you respect around here. is it right that they are bagging on you? probably not, but take it up w/ a mod, and not by acting like a 10 year old and calling everyone names.
Dude I can care less about getting respect on this site. I used to be into the whole dvd thing, but now just visit every now and then. I don't care to take it up with a MOD. I just had to get that off my chest! It's f**kin' BS!!!!!
Old 12-31-03, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

whoa now. this is just the internet, calm down. everyone here is picked on, it comes with being part of the family. if you really dont like it and can't handle it, let a mod know and they'll take care of those posts.
Old 12-31-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Oh look at the little rice boy get mad. It's party time now.

So do you and your brother share the star war sheets or do you guys have your own sets?
Old 12-31-03, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by damn_skippy

So do you and your brother share the star war sheets or do you guys have your own sets?
Old 12-31-03, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Dude I can care less about getting respect on this site. I used to be into the whole dvd thing, but now just visit every now and then. I don't care to take it up with a MOD. I just had to get that off my chest! It's f**kin' BS!!!!!
Well, I'm just trying to broker the peace here. If you don't want to tell a mod, and you don't care about respect, I guess it's open season on you again.
Old 12-31-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by damn_skippy
Oh look at the little rice boy get mad. It's party time now.

Funny. Lets not even talk about my car. Not a single piece of Rice on it. 9.3 1/8th times biatch!!! Boost coming soon to destroy 99% of the cars on the streets. What are you driving? What kind of person are you to just talk $hit when I'm asking a serious question? It was all good in that one thread. Hell, I brought it upon myself. So, are you some fat bald bastard that lives in sin city and can't get a girl? I ask because you remember the bunk thing from sooooo long ago. Do you have a life?
Old 12-31-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyhow, I'm moving out this year. Probably got a better job than you f**ks!!!!!
New Year's Resolutions are sooooo great! It's touching! *wipes tear*

I bet one of you is some old f**kin' slob who has NO LIFE and just trying to stir $hit up. YEAH, OLD FAT F**KS!!!! If the old is not right, I KNOW at least one of you is a FAT BASTARD!!!!
You had me at "one of you".
Old 12-31-03, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
New Year's Resolutions are sooooo great! It's touching! *wipes tear*

You had me at "one of you".
Over 50% of adults are. So, I'm guessing at least one of you! Fat people hate when others talk about their weight. YOU KNOW IT FAT BOYS!!!!!!! Talk your $hit, suck a d!ck FAT biatches!
Old 12-31-03, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

why dont you jsut go with a 0% balance transfer card? are you that opposed to a new card? do you have too many that another could hurt your credit?
Old 12-31-03, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyhow, I'm moving out this year.
They are finally throwing you out, huh? Dad getting mad because you are taking up his garage space?
Old 12-31-03, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI

Moving to a tent in the backyard does NOT count.
Old 12-31-03, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk God

can we nominate this thread for "Thread of the Year 2003"?
Old 12-31-03, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone wanna bet what 3 DVDS(look at his location) he still has?
Old 12-31-03, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

fast and the furious 1 & 2

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.