Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > Key Thread Archive
Reload this Page >

The UNPOPULAR OPINIONS thread (Get them off your chest here)

Community
Search

The UNPOPULAR OPINIONS thread (Get them off your chest here)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-03, 08:11 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
- The death penalty sould be abolished. How can we call ourselves a civilized society when we deal with bad people by killing them, when we have the power to otherwise control them? If the crime is severe enough, then life imprisonment with absolutely no chance of parole, ever, should be sufficient. (Personally, I'd rather die than spend a long life in prison, so life imprisonment would be a more severe penalty in my mind.) Besides, it actually costs more for the government to deal with the mandatory appeals in a death penalty case than it does to house a prisoner.

- The United States should listen to, and carefully consider, the opinions of other countries when deciding foreign policy, and then make a determination based on what is in the best interests of the United States - which includes, IMO, the US' role as a world leader. What other people think about us does matter, although it can't be the most important determining factor.

- People bust on the French too much. They were our first ally and were indispensible in our efforts to form a new nation. You can disagree with their point of view while admiring their courage for truthfully expressing themselves.

- DVD cover art doesn't matter much, and shouldn't even be a consideration when deciding what DVD to buy.

- Although I've been pro-choice most of my life, I've never really examined why. I've just accepted it because others around me believed it. As I think about the issue more, I'm starting to believe that we shouldn't make a determination one way or the other (re: whether it's okay to abort a pregnancy) until we can determine, with scientific certainty, at what point a "human being" is created. In the meantime, maybe we ought to err on the side of protecting unborn children, with certain exceptions for medical reasons. I just don't know.

- Anyone who disagrees with me should go to Iraq to be a human shield.

That felt good. Thanks, JustinS.

Last edited by Bandoman; 01-22-03 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-22-03, 08:16 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
I have a huge dislike for people who do drugs, well more specifically pot, I hate the whole pot culture, it does my bloody head in.

I hate how all "hip-hop" artists, and I use the term artist loosely, have taken over the luxury goods world, take master p for example, and his Ferrari 360 painted in the Gucci Logo, who needs that, they are all followers, and it drives me nuts.

I also hate all the luxury brands for bowing to the lowest common denominator and lowering prices.

The myth that the man owes you something, you need to work damn hard to get along in life, and no-one is going to hand anything to you on a silver platter

The beatles weren't all that

The Stones also suck.
Old 01-22-03, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
All of my opinions are unpopular.

But they are less unpopular here than in the real world.

Except this one: Requiem For A Dream is the biggest piece of moronic propaganda disguised as a movie that I have ever seen.

Last edited by movielib; 01-22-03 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-22-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
- World peace will never happen until everyone is dead.
- Animals have the right to remain eaten.
- Red Robin burgers are expensive Dairy Queen burgers.
- If anything, the smiley is underused.
Old 01-22-03, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

-I don't enjoy Elvlis Pressly
-I think Julia Roberts is attractive
-I think people need to consider privatizing schooling and at least let market forces work to improve schools
-I believe OLS is an incredibly robust estimator and people who favor some flavor of MLE or other more advanced linear technique are braindead drones who are compelled to show off.
-I believe in open borders for law-abiding people
-I oppose government entitlements. There ought to be no entitlements in life
Old 01-22-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think major league sports are boring.

I think most foreign cars are built better than American cars.

I love my country, but not the bandwagon patriotism that's grown since 9/11. (But if it creates more support for America in the long run then so be it.)

I think Howie Long is hot.

I think most obese people could but just don't exercise or eat low fat diets to lose weight.

I think Geoff looks better with a beard
Old 01-22-03, 08:46 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by sexy_overlord

- Red Robin burgers are expensive Dairy Queen burgers.
-
Blasphemy!
Old 01-22-03, 09:00 AM

None of the Star Wars movies were even a little good. I believe it's 98% nostalgia.

The Pontiac Aztek is one of the coolest looking vehicles ever made. I don't know what the heck everyone is thinking.

I think everyone should copy all the music they want. In the end no one who deserves the money gets it, anyway.

Unless you've given up on life, you shouldn't have kids.

If you believe in a "higher power" then I can't really have any respect for you.

You'd better be living your life like it's the only one you've got, cause it is. After this there's nothing.

Last edited by Mister Beefhead; 01-22-03 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-22-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Bushdog
-I don't enjoy Elvlis Pressly
-I think Julia Roberts is attractive
-I think people need to consider privatizing schooling and at least let market forces work to improve schools
-I believe OLS is an incredibly robust estimator and people who favor some flavor of MLE or other more advanced linear technique are braindead drones who are compelled to show off.
-I believe in open borders for law-abiding people
-I oppose government entitlements. There ought to be no entitlements in life
I agree with all those with the following qualifications:

I don't know who Elvlis Pressly is but I like Elvis Presley.

On your fourth item I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Old 01-22-03, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sick of seeing the Fear.com ad.

America is so convinced the European countries are so refined. Why is that?
Old 01-22-03, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

People who claim to be "animal lovers" and eat meat are nothing less than abject hypocrites.

The refusal to watch films with subtitles is idiotic to an alarming (albeit somewhat comical) degree.

The jingoism and xenophobia evident after 9/11 in the United States is truly frightening.

The studios that produce purported "comedies" should be sued for false advertising in most instances.

The Oklahoma City families are no less entitled to governmental benefits than the 9/11 families -- if there are funds to be distributed, it should be done fairly or not at all.

Not nearly all "art films" are pretentious -- some are actually attempting to convey some interesting concepts and perspectives. Moreover, many actually succeed in doing so.

Fellini is wildly overrated.

Those who subscribe to the "love it or leave it" philosophy are actually the opposite to the patriots that they represent themselves to be.

Compassion is still a virtue.

There is no such thing as a "bad" film if it is viewed from the proper perspective.

The death penalty should be abolished, outright and immediately.

"Western civilization" still strikes me as a good idea.
Old 01-22-03, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I think Julia Roberts is sexy. I like her smile and most of her movies, too, such as Notting Hill. If I have to watch a romance with the wife, that's usually my first pick. On that topic, I find Hugh Grant pretty funny and don't mind his movies.

I don't understand the fascination w/ The Rolling Stones, Radiohead, Bob Dylan, etc. (this could go on forever).

John Lennon was a complete ass.

I think Martin Scorsese is a good director, he is NOT "America's Greatest Living Director". And Taxi Driver was a terribly overrated stalker movie.

Woody Allen's overrated, too.

I am still in shock at how popular Requiem for a Dream is on this forum.

I love Braveheart, it is one of my favorite films. Mel Gibson is one of my favorite actors and he knows how to direct, too.

Prisons should be turned back into labor camps. Prison is a punishment, not a damn trip to the Holiday Inn. Prisoners should not be allowed to work out or watch cable. They are going to prison and should have to do hard labor and when they get out they should never want to go back because they will have to work their asses off. They don't have rights, they are in prison for crying out loud. If someone is getting the death penalty, get it over with. Give them one appeal and that's it. Quit wasting time and money and end their lives. If not, then just get rid of the damn thing and put their ass to work until the day they die.

I hate political parties. The Republicans and Democrats both suck. Every politician and candidate should have to be independent. Parties hamper the political process. It's about the issues that each candidate supports or doesn't support. People who vote according to party-line are ignorant and lazy.

Marijuana should be legalized. There will not be the mad rush to the weed bar like some believe. And the gov't could tax the hell out it - if people bitch about high dope taxes - make it illegal again.

I love going to the dentist - it is relaxing.

If you do not vote for the Democratic/Republican Presidential candidate, you are not wasting your vote, you are protesting the crap that is on the ballot.

Last edited by B.A.; 01-22-03 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-22-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by TomReagan
The Oklahoma City families are no less entitled to governmental benefits than the 9/11 families -- if there are funds to be distributed, it should be done fairly or not at all.
Amen to that, brother!
Old 01-22-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Eagles, with the exception of a precious few songs (including one of the new ones), sucked.

Judges and juries are just as much to blame for frivolous lawsuits as lawyers, if not more so.

The last two Star Wars movies really were, technically, independent films.

The United States of America, despite all its flaws, is still the greatest country on Earth.

There is no such thing as psychic powers.
Old 01-22-03, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There is an obession with films (what is the name of this website? ) yet most films out of Hollywood are crap.

The show Friends sucks and the actors are GROSSLY overpaid.
Old 01-22-03, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most stereotypes ARE based on some shred of truth.
Old 01-22-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jason
There are too many people attend college in this country.
Old 01-22-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Seinfeld show was not funny.
Old 01-22-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by big whoppa
The Seinfeld show was not funny.
I agree. Guess it isn't unpopular anymore.
Old 01-22-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1) I enjoy watching Armageddon a couple times a year

2) Budweiser has the best commercials, but skunky beer

3) I'm 30 years old and I still think football cards are cool, dammit!

4) I want to see Christina Aguilera do pRon, I don't want to see Britney do pRon.
Old 01-22-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jason

Yellow Leadbetter is a terrlble song.

hey hey hey, let's not get personal here...
Old 01-22-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Martha Stewart's products suck (just take that COLOR you like and have Home Depot match it with a QUALITY paint). Her home improvement/party hosting ideas are lame and unrealistic. Nobody is going to spend three hours to make a 1 centimeter thick cookie that tastes like cardboard.

Emeril is a glorified burger flipper. (though some of his restaurants do make a good steak)

Expensive is not always better. (see 1 above)

Big weddings for the sake of what is in a magazine are overrated. Sharing the special day with your family and friends are all that matter. Anyone complaining about what your wedding is 'missing' could just leave and won't be missed.

PF Changs is overpriced, and not Chinese food at all.

A burger and fries can be GREAT food.

I watch the WWE. I complain about it vehemently (part of the fun), but it still is more fun for me than 90% of what's on television.

Humor based on people with dwarfism is unfunny and offensive.

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 01-22-03 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-22-03, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

- Most people think that their opinion is unpopular -- and are pleased by this.

- I miss Classicman.

- Friends and family are overrated.

- Suffering and working hard entitles you to nothing. Luck and circumstance have much more influence on how your life will turn out.
Old 01-22-03, 10:27 AM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts
GodFather III was not a bad movie.

Reese Witherspoon is not attractive. Same goes for Kirsten Dunst.

Krispy Kremes are not that great.

I believe almost all problems people have are caused by themselves, and can be fixed by themeselves.

The US is involved in a cultural war that it must win, and has been for over 20 years. We just noticed it on 9/11.

In almost all cases it is silly to vote for a candidate outside of one's own party, if one has a party affiliation.

Don't think anyone should ever get mad when college athletes leave school early, that is what they are there for.

Survivor is enjoyable TV.
Old 01-22-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

America is a nation of overweight people.

All Americans should learn another language besides English.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.