Star Wars DVDs - Reviews - Part 2

Community
Search

Star Wars DVDs - Reviews - Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-02, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terrell

I have the 5 star also and believe me they are NOT as good as the ld's.

Deleted slightly inflammatory comment - Static

The main problem video-wise is they are very washed out compared to the lds...seriously lacking in the color area. There are a few other probs but overall they are very good especially if you aren't in the ld game.

Also as far as the dd tracks lol have anyone here actually compared them to the dd of the ld's like me.....they are quite different obviously not the dd from the ld. However, the pro-logic mix is quite good and close to the original mixes.

Last edited by Static Cling; 05-27-02 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-26-02, 12:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ugabuga
Terrell

The main problem video-wise is they are very washed out compared to the lds...seriously lacking in the color area. There are a few other probs but overall they are very good especially if you aren't in the ld game.

Also as far as the dd tracks lol have anyone here actually compared them to the dd of the ld's like me.....they are quite different obviously not the dd from the ld. However, the pro-logic mix is quite good and close to the original mixes.
Yes...this I noticed. I haven't had much of a chance to seriously check them out but Jedi is definitely not discrete and i'll have to check out Star Wars at a later date. I agree with this review that these bootlegs are EXCELLENT for bootlegs. However, in comparison, there is still a difference. I wouldn't say one that is huge...but enough. Enough for me to get rid of the laserdisc that I have simply because of convenience.

Last edited by Static Cling; 05-27-02 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-26-02, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 61" 4X3 TV (ISF'd) with a Panasonic RV80 DVD player.
How are SE boots going to look on my TV? The current widescreen SE VHS are hardly watchable on this TV. The large screen size just shows how low quality VHS really is.

Will I see a BIG difference with the boots?
Old 05-27-02, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by Binger
This is driving me crazy. I can not find these discs on the web except Deleted and those are going for over $75.00

I hear you. I have spent the past 2 nights looking for these things and can't find them anywhere.

EDIT: Wait a minute, I just found them.

Last edited by Static Cling; 05-27-02 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-27-02, 01:53 PM

Deleted. Welcome to the forum.

Originally posted by BadAsh
The focus of this thread is to supply reviews of all of the latest Star Wars bootleg DVDs. Please do not turn this thread into a begging thread for bootleg source info. I would like everyone to note that any requests for bootleg source info posted in this thread will be denied any information and will only lead to this thread being closed either by myself or the mods.
- Static

Last edited by Static Cling; 05-27-02 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-27-02, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went ahead and ordered the Five Star Editions.

Is the original trillogy THAT bad? I mean is it better than the THX VHS I have?
Old 05-27-02, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the clarification ugabuga.
Old 05-27-02, 10:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DavidH
I went ahead and ordered the Five Star Editions.

Is the original trillogy THAT bad? I mean is it better than the THX VHS I have?
Again...if you consider the voices being out of sync better than VHS...i've got a set to sell you
Old 05-27-02, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ugabuga
Terrell

Well I owned both the SE and THX "Faces" LD versions of these films and they do NOT look better then the 5 Star DVD's. Deleted reply to offensive statement - Static On MY equipment I have a DVD player that scales the non-anamorphic DVD internally that gives me a much better picture with almost no artifcating like the LD's give you. I gain resolution because I don't need to use my HDTV's zoom feature to achieve the correct aspect ratio which forces you to lose resolution in doing so. I can almost bet you are watching on a small analog TV because with a larger HDTV you would not be making such statements (inflamatory as they are)!

The audio on the 5 Star edition DVD's for ANH & ROTJ are most certainly decrete. Just listen to the speeders going through the forest on ROTJ to hear the proof.

Deleted inflammatory comment - Static

Last edited by Static Cling; 05-30-02 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-27-02, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Deleted off-topic comments - Static

Last edited by Static Cling; 05-27-02 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-27-02, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 05-27-02, 11:36 PM
Banned

Old 05-27-02, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Last edited by Static Cling; 05-28-02 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-27-02, 11:44 PM
Admin Emeritus

Thread closed so that people can take some time to cool off, and I can take some time to edit posts.

Last edited by Static Cling; 05-27-02 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-29-02, 10:30 PM
Admin Emeritus

Although part of me doesn't want to, I'm reopening this thread.

People need to calm down about this subject. Moderators have had to intervene twice in the span of two or three days in this thread. That should not be necessary for any thread.

1. If you see a post that makes you angry, hit the "Report this post to a moderator" link, report the post, and then leave it alone. Seeing an offensive or off-topic post does not give you the right to post offensively or off-topic about that post. Resist the urge to reply to these kinds of posts. Be the bigger man/woman, report it, and let it go. If actions needs to be taken against someone, then it will be... by the moderators. You trying to shout someone down will accomplish nothing, and will most likely get you in trouble, as well.

2. In a related topic, let's avoid throwing around emotionally charged words like "liar," "troll," and "newbie." If you disagree with someone, say you disagree, and calmly post reasons why. Again, if action needs to be taken against someone, it will be, but by the moderators, and not you.

3. Do not ask how to get bootleg source material. I hope that's all that needs to be said about that.

Let's keep it civil in here, or the thread is going away permanently, and all future discussions on the subject will be locked as well.

Carry on.
Old 05-29-02, 11:08 PM

I am going to backtrack a little from all the talk regarding the new 5-star editions. I just received my Star Wars boots today of the original trilogy. It should be noted that I specifically ordered the non-SE trilogy, as this was the edition that I wanted.

I have not yet had an opportunity to view all three all the way the through, but I have made the following observation: The audio sync problems at the end of ESB are REALLY bad! I read some of the previous reviews and got the impression that it would not be too far out-of-sync, but I found it VERY noticeable and VERY distracting.

I have never seen the picture quality of the laserdiscs, but I can easily believe that they still surpass the quality of these particular DVDs. (Which I do not quite understand if the laserdiscs were the source of the transfer.) I would estimate that the quality of these DVDs is only marginally better than my VHS tapes. Still, that IS an improvement and the DVDs will (presumably) not degrade, so I plan to hang on to them.

If the original editions are still not made available in 2006 (or later) when the legitimate SE DVDs will supposedly be available, then I wonder if bootleggers will take the time to produce higher quality versions of the original non-SE trilogy at that time?

I have toyed with the idea of getting the SEs also, especially after all the buzz about the newer “high-quality” editions. However, I keep coming back to at least one thing that prevents me from doing so: “Greedo shoots first.”
Old 05-29-02, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wanted the originals, but since the quality is not very good, I decided to order the SE's. I want something that is noticably better than VHS - and I should get that with the SE.

Dan, I suspect that the original DVDs may not have been from the THX laser disc, and/or they just had recording problems. I have heard it is not easy to make a great recorded DVD from a laser disc, but I have never had experience with it.

I would have to imagine that some bootlegger will create the DVDs from the latest THX orginal laserdisc. If they do everything right, this MAY be THE best we will ever see them on DVD since it is clear to me that Lucas will never release the original DVDs.

On any rate, I am looking forward to getting my Five Stars. I should get them within two weeks. I have a 61" TV and I am going to directly compare them with my SE VHS.
Old 05-29-02, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well with the demand for the original theatrical release you'd certainly think some bootlegger would want to cash in on those who want this version only and do a far better job transfering the THX LD's to DVD.
Old 05-30-02, 12:17 AM

First off, I just finished ROTJ (5 Star)and I think there is an audio sync problem with the first 40 minutes up to the "soon the rebellion will be crushed and young Skywalker will be one of us" line. It is very minimal but I couldn't stop thinking about it, I had to use the pro-logic for it. I kept switching and it has to be off by a fraction, the words come out of their mouths like a few frames before it happens. You can especially tell during Admiral Ackbar's speech.

Also here are some comparison shots of ESB(5 Star) to TPM DVDs.

STAR WARS TPM / STAR WARS ESB (66k)
Old 05-30-02, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmm. I didn't encounter the delay problems you did. Does it seem the DD 5.1 is decrete or matrixed to you? There is a debate over this and an extra point of view would be welcomed. Try watching the speeder chase in ROTJ as this is a good scene to judge.
Old 05-30-02, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Kajs,

Thanks for the screen shot. Quite a difference there. You think you could do one or two more screen comparisons where there are actually characters, etc.? I know this wouldn't be a direct comparison, but it would still be good to see a difference.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-02, 10:30 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Frank S
Hmmm. I didn't encounter the delay problems you did. Does it seem the DD 5.1 is decrete or matrixed to you? There is a debate over this and an extra point of view would be welcomed. Try watching the speeder chase in ROTJ as this is a good scene to judge.
I haven't had a chance to watch any of them all the way through but the little that I did play with them left me thinking that SW is the only one in true 5.1. I played Jedi and went for the scenes I KNEW would sound great in 5.1...namely the speeder and space battle. Nothing was discrete.

Frank, I may be wrong in this assumption but didn't you say the DTS discs were also discrete when they weren't? I'd have to go back to that thread and check it out.
Old 05-30-02, 11:02 AM

Mox,

Thank you for the images of the menu screens. I am ordering my set today. For me cover art, menu's, etc. are important. I'll suffer through any visual or audio problems just to have them in a digital format. No more rewinding!
Old 05-30-02, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
Frank, I may be wrong in this assumption but didn't you say the DTS discs were also discrete when they weren't? I'd have to go back to that thread and check it out.
sigh...

for those of us who got or will hopefully get this set via "registered mail" [10-40 days?!]...how long does it take in real life.

i'm getting antsy to see these and if it's going to be a while, it would ease my mind to know.

my set shipped 5/21 for what it's worth.
Old 05-30-02, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc

I haven't had a chance to watch any of them all the way through but the little that I did play with them left me thinking that SW is the only one in true 5.1. I played Jedi and went for the scenes I KNEW would sound great in 5.1...namely the speeder and space battle. Nothing was discrete.

I was obviously talking to kajs not you!

Kajs, have you had a chance to listen to the scene I mentioned on ROTJ?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.