Community
Search

Official DVD Replacement Cover & Case Thread - Part 4

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-02, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by ToddSm66
Thanks! I went out to Borders tonight and picked a few books with full page reproductions of poster art that I can scan in as well. Hopefully I can find everything I need.

What I am going to attempt to do (if anybody really cares) is to make an AFI Top 100 DVD Cover set - complete with spine numbers (Citizen Kane = #1, Casablanca = #2, The Godfather = #3, etc) and original poster art on the front covers.

If the set turns out halfway decent, I'll post them up on a site and share them with everyone.
That would be more than interesting. Todd, were you the guy that did the North by Northwest cover in the style of the other Hitchcock films. The link had a problem with it (no larger image available, just the smaller one). If you could repost it that would be great. Perhaps I'm thinking of someone else.

Btw, I still do the Manchester Road Race every Thanksgiving Day - done it for years.

I also echo ckolchak comment on perhaps a more washed out color selection for the AFI/Spine #. White would look pretty classy too and would not distract from the title. Another approach would be to use the same color as the title.

I personally would drop the spine number. As someone mentioned, when the AFI adds another film to the list, everything below it shifts down one and where does that leave you? I also have about 35 Criterion DVDs and about 325 total in my collection. I don't keep my Criterion's separate and put them in number order because when I want to find a movie I want to search by title.

Your point about wanting to know that you still need AFI move ranked ## or more importantly the corresponding title (say Schindler's List could be much more easily solved by just putting them in an Excel file. The gaps will show just as well and it is a lot easier to update.

Last edited by ctyankee; 02-23-02 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-25-02, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ctyankee

That would be more than interesting. Todd, were you the guy that did the North by Northwest cover in the style of the other Hitchcock films. The link had a problem with it (no larger image available, just the smaller one). If you could repost it that would be great. Perhaps I'm thinking of someone else.

Yeah, I took it down to save some space. I'll throw it back up for a couple weeks again. Let me know when you've got it downloaded, thanks!

Hi Res version:
http://members.cox.net/toddsm66/northbynw.JPG

Last edited by ToddSm66; 02-25-02 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-25-02, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Londo
anyone know where I can find a good usable scan for the original poster of "Murder by Death"? the cover for the current release stinks..
Somebody's already done a Murder By Death cover using the original caricature poster artwork. E-mail me for a copy. It was posted on another DVD forum and I managed to save it to disk before the thread vanished.
Old 02-25-02, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does anybody know what happened to the webmaster of the Reality Crash site? He seems to have disappeared.
Old 02-25-02, 06:17 AM

american beauty alternate

Is anyone interested in making an alternate cover for american beauty using the mena suvari covered in roses image?
Old 02-25-02, 06:59 AM
Defunct Account

Well, another thread, another request by yours truely for scans of the first 5 Twilight Zone DVD covers. I bought the gift pack that comes in jewel cases and would really like to put them in keepcases.

TIA,

-Videophile
Old 02-25-02, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by ToddSm66

Yeah, I took it down to save some space. I'll throw it back up for a couple weeks again. Let me know when you've got it downloaded, thanks!

Hi Res version:
http://members.cox.net/toddsm66/nxnw_hires.jpg
Sorry to bother you Todd, but the hi-res version you posted is of the original North By Northwest Cover - not the modified version that is like the Universal covers.

Thanks. Of course for those that want the original cover ... the link above works fine.
Old 02-25-02, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whoops! sorry about that, I got my URLs crossed. I edited my original message, here is the link you requested:

http://members.cox.net/toddsm66/northbynw.JPG
Old 02-25-02, 10:59 AM

Looking for double disc thin keepcase style cover for Patch Adams: Ultimate Edition. Feel free to email me if you can help.
Old 02-25-02, 11:03 AM

Todd,

I downloaded it.

Much thanks and nice cover.

ctyankee
Old 02-25-02, 02:35 PM

Hitchcock

I'm interested in possibly (emphasis on the possibly) doing a series of covers for Hitchock's films that have been released on DVD that use the film's original poster art for the cover.

Why would I want to do such a thing?

Basically, it comes down to Saul Bass. It's a shame that Universal ditched the original cover for Vertigo that used his design - it's truly a thing of beauty. I'd like to create a series that would work with that original release of Vertigo as a template (or at least as the inspiration), but would also work well as a set. To do this, I'd more than likely change the color of the spine (possibly to black?) so that the set would visiually go together on the shelf. I'd also thought about numbering the series since that seems to be what all the cool kids are doing these days.

Question - does anyone know of a definitive, chronological list of the finished films that Hitch directed? I'd rather not include the ones that he simply wrote or produced, just the ones that he directed.

Thanks,
Keith Finch
Old 02-25-02, 02:44 PM

Re: Hitchcock

Originally posted by Mr.Finch
Question - does anyone know of a definitive, chronological list of the finished films that Hitch directed? I'd rather not include the ones that he simply wrote or produced, just the ones that he directed.

Thanks,
Keith Finch
One would have to be an expert to call something a definitive list so I'll avoid that. However, certainly try IMDB.com link below:

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Hitchcock,+Alfred

If a title is unfinished it says so if uncredited it says so ..... I would guess that if it was wrong some Hitchcock lover would have already smacked them around for it by now ...
Old 02-25-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Hitchcock

Originally posted by Mr.Finch
I'm interested in possibly (emphasis on the possibly) doing a series of covers for Hitchock's films that have been released on DVD that use the film's original poster art for the cover.

Why would I want to do such a thing?

Basically, it comes down to Saul Bass. It's a shame that Universal ditched the original cover for Vertigo that used his design - it's truly a thing of beauty. I'd like to create a series that would work with that original release of Vertigo as a template (or at least as the inspiration), but would also work well as a set. ...
Great Idea!
i'm not a great fan of the design universal came up with for the Hitchcock line (and all these 'star' themed collections in general)

i agree with you. the art work from this era , especially work done by Bass, usually blows away anything the art directors in the video division are bound to cobble together in photoshop.
all you really need for a collection theme is some marker/logo/banner on the spine ( for which the line profile of hitch would be a great place to put it) and *maybe* a minor banner on the top of the cover of the dvd.
as much as i hate snapper cases, warner seems to be the only one who has enough respect for the original art to use it on the dvd's.
as a source for scans- i believe there is a softcover book available that is only reproductions of Hitchcock poster art. don't remember who good the repros were, but for anybody wanting to do this, it shouldn't be hard to dig up goo material to work with.

Last edited by ckolchak; 02-25-02 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-25-02, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
OPERA

And the BMW Series please

Andre
Old 02-26-02, 04:52 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jungle Book cover scan?

Anyone have a scan of the full cover art for Disney's 1967 version of The Jungle Book suitable for printing? I'm getting a used copy that has a tear in the cover and would like to replace it.

Thanks.

Jim
Old 02-27-02, 02:02 AM

I too would also like to request Opera LE and the Hire Please.....

Also by any chance could someone scan the insert for 15 Minutes for me too?

I also would like to have inserts for Trimark dvds such as Bully and "O", which never came with any. If anyone can do one with chapter listings, that would be great!

And also 1 last request for MGM Midnight Movie insert of Killer Klowns From Outer Space, which also didn't come with an insert.

Also I was wondering if anyone could make a cover for Kenwood's Sovereign Free DVD? If so that would be great!

Thanks!
Old 02-27-02, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by MaNiaC

Also I was wondering if anyone could make a cover for Kenwood's Sovereign Free DVD? If so that would be great!

Thanks!
http://darius.mobius-soft.com/~andre...coverart.shtml

There is a nice Kenwood cover on Andrea's Coverart page. It looked great when I printed it out.

robyn
Old 02-27-02, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by MaNiaC
Doh! ...

My X-MEN cover will be available at this link, until Matt/mdX gets his site fixed. [Edit] It's up at www.dvdcoverart.com.

-Matt

Last edited by RMan360; 02-27-02 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-27-02, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by RDYoung

http://darius.mobius-soft.com/~andre...coverart.shtml

There is a nice Kenwood cover on Andrea's Coverart page. It looked great when I printed it out.

robyn
Thanks. You made my day! Now all I need is for my other reuqests to go through and it would make my world!
Old 02-27-02, 04:12 PM

Update: Added DVD Cover Elements section.

-Matt
Old 02-27-02, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ok, I'll post this for the THIRD time now. For anyone who owns the Evil Dead: BotD edition, do you think it will fit into one of these custom cases along side ED2 and AOD? I am planning to buy the BotD, and I really want one of these metal cases, but I am concerned about the oversized rubber. How much thicker/taller is it than a normal keepcase? Thanks.

Old 02-27-02, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For those who have purchased (or will purchase) the Book of the Dead, and who don't want to store their REAL Book of the Dead case on their cramped DVD shelves, I've created a keep case cover insert for you. Here's a small version:

[ Image link removed -- see newer image below ]

What I could use now is a pointer to a hosting site that will allow me to upload the large (2+ MB) jpg file.

Last edited by RoboDad; 02-27-02 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-27-02, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by RoboDad
What I could use now is a pointer to a hosting site that will allow me to upload the large (2+ MB) jpg file.
www.dvdcoverart.com, email mdX

-Matt
Old 02-27-02, 05:48 PM

hey RMan360 great X-Men cover. you considered making a triple alpha for The Simpsons: Season One

RoboDad a suggestion on the Evil Dead Cover. use a different color on the spine the writing is barely visible other than at its a great looking cover.

Jesse
Old 02-27-02, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by caiman
Ok, I'll post this for the THIRD time now. For anyone who owns the Evil Dead: BotD edition, do you think it will fit into one of these custom cases along side ED2 and AOD?
I'll have to check on the height, but I know that Paul will adjust the width. I personally had him do a "3 1/2" to fit the AOD LE. I'm sure he could adjust for the the BOTD version. I'll check the height on my copy tonight and let you know.

- Jeff

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.