Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Asian films - Comments/suggestions wanted!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Asian films - Comments/suggestions wanted!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Asian films - Comments/suggestions wanted!

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
Bong Joon-Ho's "Host" came out on DVD a LOT sooner than 2 years after the theatrical release - I'm not talking about R1 though.
Host and Guest != The Host
Old 01-17-09, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)

Originally Posted by Dan Average
Host and Guest != The Host
misread.
Old 01-17-09, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The more recent South Korean films I watch, the more I recommend the classics.
Some titles from the 70s-90s that you might want to check out (depending on your interest and budget) include:
Shin Sang-Ok Box
Kim Ki-Young Box
Last Witness
Black Republic

and a couple more recent titles -

May 18
Old Garden
Old 01-17-09, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

anyone seen The good, the bad and the weird?
Old 01-18-09, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is at the top of my "to see" list - I thought the DVD would have been out by now.
Old 01-20-09, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the eager...THE GOOD, the BAD, the WEIRD is now available via an English-friendly, Singapore DVD release.
Old 01-20-09, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by flixtime
For the eager...THE GOOD, the BAD, the WEIRD is now available via an English-friendly, Singapore DVD release.
or online for
free (with english subtitles)
Old 01-20-09, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You mean you can get movies for free on the internet?!?!?????!?
Old 01-20-09, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 612 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
or online for
free (with english subtitles)
Licenced? Otherwise, what's the harm in waiting for something you could watch properly on a big screen? Korean filmmakers need the legitimate business just as much as anyone. Kinda sad to think that more people now watch Asian cinema than at any point in its history, yet the industries have never struggled harder to stay afloat.

Saw THE GOOD, THE BAD at the film festival here a few months back and was suitably impressed. Three powerhouse modern Korean actors having a LOT of fun with three outsized characters and a confident, inspired director who pulls out all the stops. Owes a tremendous debt to spaghetti westerns and if it wasn't for the language(s) and the faces, it could very well be one--one of the more rollicking ones that is, and cranked up to 11 simply because the director's got the clout to do that, and the talent and the crew to make it look almost painfully cool. The climax is phenomenal: a thunderous desert chase and rolling gun battle involving horses, cars, motorcycles and army vehicles that just gets bigger and bigger and bigger as more bodies (and armies) join the fray, all of it set to a pounding instrumental version of Santa Esmerelda's "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (a snippet of which backgrounded the early moments of the swordfight between Uma Thurman and Lucy Liu in KILL BILL). It seemed to run a good half an hour straight, probably more, but it never felt too long. Just great fun. And worthy of a purchase. A real purchase.

Last edited by Brian T; 01-20-09 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-21-09, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brian T
Licenced? Otherwise, what's the harm in waiting for something you could watch properly on a big screen? Korean filmmakers need the legitimate business just as much as anyone. Kinda sad to think that more people now watch Asian cinema than at any point in its history, yet the industries have never struggled harder to stay afloat.

Saw THE GOOD, THE BAD at the film festival here a few months back and was suitably impressed. Three powerhouse modern Korean actors having a LOT of fun with three outsized characters and a confident, inspired director who pulls out all the stops. Owes a tremendous debt to spaghetti westerns and if it wasn't for the language(s) and the faces, it could very well be one--one of the more rollicking ones that is, and cranked up to 11 simply because the director's got the clout to do that, and the talent and the crew to make it look almost painfully cool. The climax is phenomenal: a thunderous desert chase and rolling gun battle involving horses, cars, motorcycles and army vehicles that just gets bigger and bigger and bigger as more bodies (and armies) join the fray, all of it set to a pounding instrumental version of Santa Esmerelda's "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" (a snippet of which backgrounded the early moments of the swordfight between Uma Thurman and Lucy Liu in KILL BILL). It seemed to run a good half an hour straight, probably more, but it never felt too long. Just great fun. And worthy of a purchase. A real purchase.

This looks like the Singapore release: http://www.moviexclusive.com/estore/...?productID=377

It's a good store, but the shipping kills you unless you order 3 or 4 at the same time.
Old 01-21-09, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had good luck with this store too - but I'm a bit worried that it didn't list the aspect ratio - I've been burned before ordering discs from Singapore.
Old 01-21-09, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm gonna wait on TGTBTW just because I am fairly certain that Korea will do this movie proud with a great release! Then I'll wait for an R1 for extras.
Old 01-22-09, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by flixtime
Few weeks ago, the koreans released the uncut version on DVD and VHS for the local market, is the version from Singapore the international or the korean uncut release ?

Edit: it's the uncut 139 mins (didn't notice the running time)

Last edited by Tutut; 01-22-09 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-23-09, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've checked the Korean DVD sites and as far as I can tell only the OST has been released.
Do you have a link to the Korean release?
Old 01-23-09, 07:27 AM

This release is for the local market only, that's why you can't find it on usual DVD sites, it's not for export.
And I have no links, maybe ebay...

Last edited by Tutut; 01-23-09 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-23-09, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tutut
This release is for the local market only, that's why you can't find it on usual DVD sites, it's not for export.
And I have no links, maybe ebay...

local market only - presumably no subs?
Old 01-23-09, 11:45 PM

It's a light release, there are no extras only the film. About subs, it's not that hard to find them, (not legally, I admit) in many languages.
Old 01-24-09, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Highly recommmend Red Cliff.
Old 01-24-09, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

eXcentris,
If you are into martial arts and biopics similar to "Once Upon A Time in China" and "Fearless", I highly recommend Ip Man with Donnie Yen. DVD and Blu-ray are coming out on Feb. 13th.
Old 01-24-09, 03:21 PM

ok u must watch
"the legendary assasin"
excellent movie :P
Old 01-24-09, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tutut
I think this is actually a rental-only release -- Korea still has separate rental and sell-through markets, although most titles go straight to sell-through these days. I can't find this disc even at Korean e-tailers, so it's more than a case of "not for export." And if you do find it, you'll probably pay way too much for it (since it wouldn't be priced for ordinary consumers).
Old 01-25-09, 11:45 PM

I had the info from people of the french forum HKmania before christmas. I don't speak korean, but using the google translator on this page,
people are talking about 27500 to 29000 wons for the video (VHS or DVD?), I don't think it's for rent.
Old 01-26-09, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The prices they're quoting seem steep for an apparently unadorned single-disc release -- 27,500 is what CJ normally charges for a three-disc SE, and a one- or two-disc SE runs 25,300 at full retail. (I also notice there is no mention of this disc on CJ's website.)
Old 01-26-09, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
eXcentris,
If you are into martial arts and biopics similar to "Once Upon A Time in China" and "Fearless", I highly recommend Ip Man with Donnie Yen. DVD and Blu-ray are coming out on Feb. 13th.
Ive had my eye on this as well? What region is the Blu-Ray?

Also looking around, here is a list of movies Ive thought about blind buying. Thoughts?

Chanbara Beauty
My Wife is a Gangster 1,2,3
Yo Yo Sexy girl Cop (I have the other yoyo girl movies and this sounds fun)
Old 01-26-09, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 612 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
here is a list of movies Ive thought about blind buying. Thoughts?

My Wife is a Gangster 1,2,3
Diminishing returns. First one's great. Biggest problem with the Part 2 is the lack of Park Sang-min as the husband of the title character, thus killing the great set-up at the end of the first film. Part 3 is a slight improvement over Part 2 in terms of comedy and action largely because it's an unrelated story, and the Hong Kong cast is far better integrated into the story than Zhang Ziyi was in the second film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.