International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

pan's labyrinth & the host.. a question?

Old 03-14-07, 04:31 AM

pan's labyrinth & the host.. a question?

Will these two great films be released with an english audio like many asian films are? (house of flying daggers, hero & crouching tiger,hidden dragon)

Cheers
Jezza
Old 03-14-07, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So far the recent releases of PL doesn't have an Eng. dub and the upcoming R1 doesn't either.

Last edited by mrhan; 03-14-07 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-14-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A waste of time to make dubs, and a waste of threadspace too
Old 03-14-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think it's a waste of time. I prefer dubbing if done correctely. If they don't dub it, there are a percentage of us who will not purchase the dvd if its not english dub.
Old 03-14-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by roy_stalin
english dubs are only suitable if your blind and cant read the subs.
I'm in the percentage what will not buy it if it's not dubbed and i'm not blind.
Old 03-14-07, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most people in the International forum will argue with you on that point since it is about DVDs that are outside of R1 which normally wouldn't have an English dub. The OP should have posted his question in the regular R1 DVD forum where there might be more info. regarding future releases w/English dubs.
Old 03-14-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by roger_d
I don't think it's a waste of time. I prefer dubbing if done correctely. If they don't dub it, there are a percentage of us who will not purchase the dvd if its not english dub.
I weep for you, and for humanity.
Old 03-14-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by roger_d
I'm in the percentage what will not buy it if it's not dubbed and i'm not blind.
Oh my......
Old 03-14-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

English dubs and pan/scan threads never end well.
Old 03-14-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would think that to do a decent English dub you would have to hire fairly talented voice-over actors which would cost a bit of money. I think that the production company would weigh the cost of doing the dub versus whether or not they will miss a substantial section of their target audience. I think that if they did not do one for the cinema then they will not do one for home video.
Old 03-14-07, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The only instance that i wouldn't mind a dubbed track on a foreign film is if it were an animated feature - and done well. If the OST isn't included on the home video release, then it's a deal killer.
Old 03-15-07, 12:40 AM

i dont want anylive action movies with dub.

with cartoons, its a different story.

but thats just me.
Old 03-15-07, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Off the top of my head, I can not think of a single Korean movie that got an English dub in R1. Occasionally they get a Cantonese dub for the HK release, which is REALLY annoying to watch, but that's the closest thing I can think of.

The Host is pretty short on dialog to begin with, so the subs are not distracting.
Old 03-15-07, 05:41 AM

shiri has an eng dub. didn't old boy get one as well?
Old 03-15-07, 07:23 AM

One of my friends had been recommending Oldboy to me for months, so I finally Netflixed it. When I put the dvd in, it automatically started playing with the (cartoonishly horrible) English audio.

I almost turned it off, but then realized there was a subtitled Korean track. It was like a different movie.
Old 03-15-07, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is what they refer to a the dubbing down of America or is it dumbing down...can't remember which?
Old 03-15-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Host is short on dialogue so the subs aren't distracting.

Pan's Labyrinth uses simplified subs (similar to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon), which are also very easy to read (You won't have to read screens full of text.)

I can't stand dubs on live action movies unless it's adds humor to a goofy movie, kind of like the original Drunken Master.
Old 03-15-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dyerjp
shiri has an eng dub. didn't old boy get one as well?
doh! I guess that is what I get for not watching the R1 releases... I just realized that Volcano High got one too. Haven't heard it, it seemed like it might have been MTV goofing on people since it was supposed to be done by a bunch of rapstars.
Old 03-20-07, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RonBoster
English dubs and pan/scan threads never end well.
No, they don't, but especially when someone asks about wanting dubbed versions of movies in the International DVD forum.
Old 03-20-07, 11:00 PM

I weep for you, and for humanity.
As so do I also weep for people who aimlessly bad-mouth dubs without really ever taking into account if a certain dub is a particularly good dub or not because doing so does no one any favors accept pandering to the peanut gallery. Because unlike the same song the group of parrots like to sing, there are actually plenty of good dubs of live action films out there.

To answer the poster's original question, Pan's Labyrinth will not have an English dub but Magnolia might have one commissioned for The Host might for it's US DVD release.

Last edited by The Running Man; 03-21-07 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-21-07, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only English dubs I enjoy are old martial arts movies and especially Bruce Lee flicks from the 70's. They are so bad their hilarious.
Old 03-21-07, 09:42 AM

I hate those dubs. Did more bad than good for the genre and it's outlook here in the West.

I only enjoy well made English dubs.
Old 03-21-07, 09:50 AM

For my money, the funniest dub I think I've heard is on the R2 version of Ong-Bak. It features english accents, and is absolutely hilarious. Worth picking up cheap for the entertainment of the dub alone.
Old 03-21-07, 11:44 AM

That same British dub group did the English dub that can be found on the UK and US DVD of Ichi the Killer.
Old 03-21-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Running Man
Did more bad than good for the genre and it's outlook here in the West.

I only enjoy well made English dubs.

No, they didn't. It exposed Asian films to the West which is a good thing. Growing up in the 70's that was basically the only way one was exposed to them unless they caught a viewing in a Chinatown somewhere. I understand a bit of Mandarin and Cantonese and I saw FoF and WoD in a Chinatown theatre; I was more entertained by the English dub even though I admit to not liking recent movies that have them.

As for a well made English dub; I haven't heard one yet. They all suck but the ones from the 70's are hilarious.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.