Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Kieslowski Collection (Australia)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-07, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Released in R4 land this set has received no publicity whatsoever. I am intrigued to say the least as the R1 collection has some conversion issues so if anyone here owns it I would appreciate it if you let us know whether or not these are direct PAL-ports (or at least copies of the UK discs).

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 01-11-07, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

pro-b,

I'll see if I can get my hands on it for a quick look.
Old 01-11-07, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thank you! Much appreciated!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 01-11-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Same here!
Old 01-11-07, 01:44 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd be curious about this too. I own the R1 set, and agree that the transfers are pretty mediocre. And I'd like to own a copy of I'm So So, which doesn't appear to be available as a stand-alone.

A question for fellow Kieslowski fans: is it true that Kieslowski was HIV+? This website says yes

http://www.nndb.com/people/450/000118096/

and I think a couple of other websites also note this, but I've never seen mention of it anywhere else.

If it is true, does anyone know when it was diagnosed? I wonder if it has anything to do with the shifts in emphasis in his later films.
Old 01-11-07, 02:49 PM

Where's the best place to purchase this AU collection on Kieslowski? Name a site that works best for us in the USA.
Old 01-11-07, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by TheDoug
Where's the best place to purchase this AU collection on Kieslowski? Name a site that works best for us in the USA.
www.ezydvd.com

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 01-12-07, 09:33 PM
Suspended

So is the deafening silence because I asked a question that wasn't about non-region one DVDs?

Seriously, has anyone heard something authoritative one way or the other about Kieslowski and HIV? A confrontation with his own mortality might explain his growing interest in the transcendent, human connections, etc.
Old 01-13-07, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Ron:

I will tell you what I know and what I have seen posted on other non-English sites. First of all there were plenty of rumors way before Kieslowski died that he was battling cancer. Given the well-known fact that Kieslowski was a heavy-smoker people did not really bother questioning what might have caused his death.

Then, after he passed away, it was a German reporter (I will have to do some research to find out what was the newspaper he/she worked for) that announced that Kieslowski might have been HIV-positive. Now, the interesting part is that French media was off for quite some time: no inside info, nothing...As far as Poland goes...I am uncertain what the media there believed and what they sold to the people.

Now, if you are looking for a definitive answer: I really don't know if I have one. I believe the site you linked above just as much as I believe the fact that Kieslowski was openly gay. Fact of the matter is that towards the end of his life he did indeed plunge into some very strange relationships and what came out of them is mostly out there for scholars to ponder (and argue).

Hope this helps,

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 01-13-07 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-13-07, 03:39 PM
Suspended

Pro-B, where have you found all of this information about Kieslowski? Just by going through old newspapers and journals?

Up until now, I've limited myself to reading just the film criticism and of course Kieslowski on Kieslowski, none of which says anything other than that he died after heart surgery in Poland, where he chose to be operated on rather than in a country with better resources.

I'd not heard the HIV thing until I found the website I linked to, which appears to be pretty accurate at least in terms of cause of death for the people it lists.

But I'm not really so concerned with his sexual orientation (though he had a wife and daughter, didn't he?) as I am with whether or not he was dealing with his own mortality, and we're seeing some of that come through in his films. Of course, we're all dealing with our own mortality to some extent, but you know what I mean.

Well, I'll look into this some more. If you come across anything, bump this thread and I'll make sure to look in on it.

Thanks,

Ron