International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Region-Free Portables?

Old 01-12-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Region-Free Portables?

So I'm going on a business trip and will probably be without a laptop, can anyone recommend a portable player with a region-free hack?
Old 01-12-07, 01:49 PM

components used inside any machine likely varies, so it's hard to say...
the tools ive seen to hack regions on laptops have diagnostic elements
to determine the make / model of drive put into your machine and then
seem to offer different bits to hack the region according to what you find
is hidden within your machine.

what about a portable DVD player with multiregion already dealt with? thats
one idea...
Old 01-12-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

can most portable multi-region DVD players attach to any TV?...and second, if so, since it's main purpose is to be watched on the small screen it comes with, which portable multi-region DVD players have the best video/audio quality when routing to a huge HDTV?

Last edited by toddly6666; 01-12-07 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-13-07, 04:07 AM

the cables that attatch a player to a TV are the same kind of cables worldwide - scart, component, hdmi - and only the power supply / NTSC to PAL issues need to be checked specifically for your player.
Old 01-13-07, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by logboy
what about a portable DVD player with multiregion already dealt with? thats
one idea...
Sure. Any suggestions?
Old 01-13-07, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since those mini-portable DVD players are created to be watched on their 7 inch screen (which usually looks good since it's such a small screen), has anyone seen the video quality when attached to a big 40 inch HDTV?
Old 01-13-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Only one I can comment on at the moment: the Zeta ZT-PD600 (no longer available at yesasia.com -- apparently supplanted by the ZT-PD610 (http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1004604122/) in the last month or so (it was listed when I last emailed yesasia about it). They have some other models too.

I don't know about the quality of this newer model but I've had 2 of the 600 models and tried to return them both -- they accepted the first one and acknowledged the issue, but they're sending back the second one because they say it doesn't have issues. Picture looks alright when it plays properly (decent sound too), and it hooked up well to my 27" tv (didn't look too bad). However, out of several weeks for each one, I was only able to watch 1, maybe 2 movies that didn't freeze up at some point during play. I got tons and tons of "bad disc" errors even with a brand new DVD straight out of the case, or with no disc in the machine. Very frustrating.

There are probably some good ones out there, and I did read decent reviews at yesasia before buying, but let the buyer beware. YMMV. Hopefully the one that they've sent back will work a little better. Frankly, I'm a little frustrated with yesasia for not taking back the second one.
Old 01-13-07, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got a Cyberhome 300 which is easily converted to region-free with a code. Not the best player - some dvds (including some region 1) do not play at all. The price was right,though.
Old 01-13-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Cool. Thanks guys!
Old 01-14-07, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At Costco they have the Mintek brand w/ a 10" screen for around $200. It comes w/ a carrying case, headphones and bunch of accessories. Here's the hack---

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.ph...intek+MDP-1070

I've had it for awhile now and it's been everywhere; from the far East all the way to the UK. I've read the quality is not so great but mine has performed quite well and never had any issues that others complained about.