Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

CDWOW vouchers, promotions, news, opinions, & bargains: PART TWO!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

CDWOW vouchers, promotions, news, opinions, & bargains: PART TWO!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
Two additional posts successfully disproves that statement.
I'll give you that.

To be fair, that's not all you said. You also implied in your first post, and flat out stated in a reply to a post by Pizza that the Buffy "images do look as if they are composed for 1.78:1." That's a highly dubious and potentially misleading statement based on a subjective determination of what should be an objective variable: intended aspect ratio. After all, we have on record from people who actually ran the show what the intended aspect ratio was and always has been, and it's not 1.78:1.
Sorry, I should have said "To me, the images look as if they were composed for 1.78:1."

Ah, but should aspect ratio be about what image people prefer, or what image was intended by the creators to be seen?

To me, if one is truly for OAR, the only exception that should be allowed is when the creators themselves decide to alter the aspect ratio, as has happened on some Criterion releases and such. Saying "I prefer OAR except when I like the non-OAR image better," is pretty much akin to not supporting OAR at all, since your support can change on a whim and is based on subjective personal preference.
Sorry, I am not a slave to any orthodoxy. The only time I can think of that I have ever not preferred OAR is this one. I'm now a heretic. I can live with it.

Last edited by movielib; 03-03-07 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-03-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by movielib
Sorry, I should have said "To me, the images look as if they were composed for 1.78:1."
That's still a disingenuous statement though, since you're making an unfounded logical leap from your own subjective personal preference to a complete stranger's original intentions, a leap that's in direct contradiction to what's on record as to what those original intentions actually were.

If you want to be like Pizza and say, "I want/prefer the WS version despite knowing it's not OAR and against the creator's intentions," then that's one thing. Your statement, however, is only one step away from a complete untruth.
Old 03-03-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
That's still a disingenuous statement though, since you're making an unfounded logical leap from your own subjective personal preference to a complete stranger's original intentions, a leap that's in direct contradiction to what's on record as to what those original intentions actually were.

If you want to be like Pizza and say, "I want/prefer the WS version despite knowing it's not OAR and against the creator's intentions," then that's one thing. Your statement, however, is only one step away from a complete untruth.
That's baloney, but, you know, fine. I was not intending to imply anything about Joss. I expected to be savaged which was why I only reluctantly posted this in the first place. Josh Z, who is far more knowledgeable than I am, took a beating. But he did me a favor and got me to look at a version which I found much more satisfying and I am happy just that I seemed to have done a favor for Pizza.

I was on the OAR bandwagon from the days of the first Criterion letterboxed laserdiscs when nobody even knew what the hell I was talking about when I said "letterboxed." So you just go right on ahead and impugn my integrity and come within a hair of calling me a liar.

Now I am done.
Old 03-05-07, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to our "regular programming":

For those who are interested in MoC The Savage Innocents: it is again available at CDWow for $17.95.
Old 03-05-07, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by cine
Back to our "regular programming":

For those who are interested in MoC The Savage Innocents: it is again available at CDWow for $17.95.
I can't get the $2 off coupon to work. It says $17.95, but it shows up as $19.95 when I add it to my cart. Any suggestions?
Old 03-05-07, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by vcuram
I can't get the $2 off coupon to work. It says $17.95, but it shows up as $19.95 when I add it to my cart. Any suggestions?
Suggestion : add it to your basket TWICE - you may find the 2nd one will be the cheaper one - then delete the other one from your basket !!
Old 03-05-07, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

does anyone know the code for paris je t'aime? I saw it before but now I can't find it? how about also for the movie Wo Hu (wo-hu) by any chance. thanks.
Old 03-05-07, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by vcuram
Get on CDWow site using this link, then search for Savage Innocents and add it to cart.
Old 03-05-07, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by cine
Get on CDWow site using this link, then search for Savage Innocents and add it to cart.
That did it. Thanks a bunch!!!
Old 03-16-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Is the coupon still working? I tried the link above but it didn't take the $2 off (even when I add to the cart and deleted the Internet cookies).
Old 03-16-07, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Is the coupon still working? I tried the link above but it didn't take the $2 off (even when I add to the cart and deleted the Internet cookies).
Just tried the link and it worked for me--the $2 off should be reflected in the price--you won't see another $2 removed in the cart. For example, Extras Season 2 (R2) shows up as $25.95 with link, $27.95 otherwise.
Old 03-16-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kyle
For example, Extras Season 2 (R2) shows up as $25.95 with link, $27.95 otherwise.
Another example is the Re-cycle: Limited Director's Edition 2-disc set. Without the link it shows up as $22.95, but when you do use the link it takes it down all the way to $14.95. I bought it the other day using a $3 voucher on top of that to bring it down to $11.95/shipped.
Old 03-16-07, 12:31 PM

Picked up the 2 Disc - Evil Aliens Steelbook for $14 & Devilman for $5 & used a $2 coupon.... heck of a deal on the Evil Aliens.
Old 03-16-07, 07:25 PM
Registered

closing... Time for PT 3
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=495483