International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Lone Wolf boxset

Old 09-25-05, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lone Wolf boxset

After the Asian line Wild Side/Aventi just released later on this year the Lone Wolf and Cub series will see an elaborate boxset offering brand new fully restored from the original vault negatives prints of the Kozume Okami series. In addition to the six DVDs a massive collector's book will be included in the boxset-80 pages (by Nicolas Rousseau). All films will be presented in their original 2.35:1 ratio and 16/9. The boxset is not for the English-speaking market as you could see above (French territories only).

All info courtesy of WildSide.

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 09-26-05 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-26-05, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That box... my GOD... are you sure it doesn't have English subs?
Old 09-26-05, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ooh... BABY! That is a beautiful set!
Old 09-26-05, 02:38 AM

nice box design. theres a R1 USA boxset listed at amazon.com for release soon, and australia also gets one soon too (R4).
Old 09-26-05, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by logboy
nice box design. theres a R1 USA boxset listed at amazon.com for release soon,
I believe it's just all the current individual Animeigo titles repackaged together.
Am looking forward to picking up the French set in December.
Old 09-26-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Damn that box is nice as hell. Too bad about no english subs.
Old 09-26-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That is really nice. I already picked up the Animiego discs and am pretty happy with them. No english subs means no agonizing decisions for me.
Old 09-26-05, 12:21 PM
Cool New Member

I've already got the R2 releases of these and that is bad news that there are no English subs. I love the Lone Wolf movies.
Old 09-26-05, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i really hope that the R1 re-release is not just a repackaging. hopefully we'll get some specs soon on that one...
Old 09-26-05, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,188 Likes on 1,493 Posts
of Kozume Okami's films
Just to clarify, "Kozure Okami" is the Japanese title of the manga and films.

That's a great looking box set. Nicely designed and with an 80 page book? Wow.
Old 09-26-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by cultshock
Just to clarify, "Kozure Okami" is the Japanese title of the manga and films.

That's a great looking box set. Nicely designed and with an 80 page book? Wow.

Well aware of it and I was not implying anything else. I should have worded it differently however...perhaps "the Kozure Okami"-series....as I see exactly what you mean...

Pro-B
Old 09-26-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,188 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Yeah, I figured you probably knew, as you seem to be quite the foreign film aficionado The way you worded it though, I just didn't want some people to think that was the director's name or something.
Old 12-01-05, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Looks like Wild Side nailed it....Review:
http://www.ecranlarge.com/test-dvd-1228.php

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 12-01-05, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Looks like Wild Side nailed it....
Yes, i had the suspicion that Wildside would produce a wonderful boxed set edition of these films and thankfully i've not been proved wrong.
Am certainly looking foward to Amazon shipping mine in just over a weeks time.

Another review here, which concurs :-

'Wild Side nous offre une édition splendide'

http://www.dvdclassik.com/Critiques/...nc-enfer-6.htm
Old 12-01-05, 07:51 AM

Lots of french speaking fans bought the Hk Video sets, I waited for the Wild Side edition and ordered the Hk Video. I think Wild Side made this for collectors not for fans, compared to HK, they just improved quality of subs, put one more disc for Extras and a 80 pages book. The cost of Hk sets decreased, I found them at 2x23.9 Euros on a Belgium site.

For people interested in Wild Side pre-order it's here:
http://www.wildside-lemagasin.com/fr...wild_25342.php
click on [ ACHETER] then choose the number of item under "Qté", your country under "Livraison :" (delivery) to calculate the shipment price and select [Valider ma commande] to confirm. (payment by Visa, Mastercard/Eurocard)
Old 12-02-05, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tutut
Lots of french speaking fans bought the Hk Video sets, I waited for the Wild Side edition and ordered the Hk Video. I think Wild Side made this for collectors not for fans, compared to HK,
Have to say it appears you are very correct and my initial enthusiasm in receiving the Wildside boxset has been tempered slightly by comparisons of the image of the HK and Wildside editions as in this review :-

http://www.dvdrama.com/rw_fiche-5850-0-baby-cart.php

EDIT: The review to which i linked has suddenly disappeared from the site, i wonder whether Wild Side have insisted the pre-release review be removed as the negative aspects of it would certainly harm sales?

Last edited by RichDB10; 12-02-05 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-02-05, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by RichDB10
Have to say it appears you are very correct and my initial enthusiasm in receiving the Wildside boxset has been tempered slightly by comparisons of the image of the HK and Wildside editions as in this review :-

http://www.dvdrama.com/rw_fiche-5850-0-baby-cart.php
Thanks but I know this, I made my opinion sooner by reading forums , HK edition is not perfect, in particular the 2nd DVD, but they have the rights on those movies for only one year. Wild Side should have release the set in December 2004 and fans discovered it is more for collectors or for people who know nothing about chambara movies or exploitation movies at that time in Japan. Not sure it is interesting for non french speaking people.
EDIT: The review to which i linked has suddenly disappeared from the site, i wonder whether Wild Side have insisted the pre-release review be removed as the negative aspects of it would certainly harm sales?
I couldn't read the comments at the bottom, but the HK review is still there:
http://www.dvdrama.com/rw_fiche-3470-.php
"EN BREF
Il faut chercher très loin pour trouver des défauts aux images de ces trois premier Baby Cart : s'il existe perfection en matière de restauration, ces trois transfert s’en rapprochent de très près (à l’instar des coffrets Suzuki parus chez le même éditeur). Un régal pour les yeux, et surtout une première de pouvoir (re)découvrir ces films dans de tels conditions."
And the news with a picture gallery too:
http://www.dvdrama.com/rw_news-7498-.php
Old 12-12-05, 06:28 PM

A new comparison between HK and WS edition here:
http://www.dvdrama.com/rw_fiche-5890-.php
There's a note of the staff explaining that Wild Side, of course, didn't put the pressure on them. The first test should'nt have been on-line because the opinion of Kevin Prin (the redactor) was not shared by some staff members, they apologize to the readers and editors.
http://www.dvdrama.com/news.php?13607
Usually they trust each other for reviewing, in this case not, they reacted one week later, the pretext seems ridiculous to me.

In the test, they say the colors are oversaturated on HK and more natural on WS. They insist on the color of the skins and the color of the sky, to explain the colorimetry correction on WS. Then, everything's better on WS, the constrasts, the details, the rendering and the definition of the image. They say there's more croping on WS but they show snapshots of a rare scene with some loss on the HK edition, looks like they try to confuse people.

To me, the superiority of WS is not obvious, the image is more detailed and red on HK and more green on WS, I wonder what it looks like on big screens. At the bottom of the page, you can see that the staff and Wild Side boss (Manuel Chiche) answered to angry readers.
Old 12-13-05, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, have been following the 'controversy' over on the forums etc.

Interesting 'compromise' that has been reached, mind you with Wild Side being site sponsors they are certainly trying to tread carefully i suspect.

Like yourself and many others i can't fully agree with their overall assessment but then again i'm basing my opinions purely on screencaps etc.

Oh well, the set was bought as a gift from my g/f for xmas and should be here any day now so i'm no position to complain etc
Old 12-13-05, 04:37 PM

Lucky guy, I keep my HKs and wait till the price of the WS edition fall.
Old 12-31-05, 04:30 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Did anyone buy this? And if you did, can you take some scans of the new covers and box set as well. My next tat is of Ogami and Daigoro
Old 04-24-06, 04:18 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Bump, still looking for cover scans especially the back of the box.
Old 05-19-06, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is the Kino box set the Animeigo discs? And how do they compare in quality to the other region DVDs? From the screenshots I wouldn't rush out to buy the WS version.
Old 08-14-06, 11:50 AM

The Wild Side boxset is 69.99€ for sale at Asia-Diffusion and the HK Video boxset is 64.99€ at DVDmoinscher .
Old 08-14-06, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tutut
The Wild Side boxset is 69.99€ for sale at Asia-Diffusion and the HK Video boxset is 64.99€ at DVDmoinscher .
Would i be right in thinking that Wild Side are going to be releasing the individual films in September outside of the boxset?
I very much doubt they will be readdressing the issue of PQ in relation to the HK releases?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.