Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Tous Les Matins du Monde 2-disc (R1) - 07march06

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-06, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's about freakin' time!
My #1 Most Wanted...

Format: Color, Content/Copy-Protected CD, Dolby, Original recording remastered, Restored, Subtitled, Widescreen, NTSC
Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only.)

Aspect Ratio: 1.66:1
Rated: NR (Not Rated)
Studio: Koch Lorber Films
DVD Release Date: March 7, 2006
Run Time: 105 minutes

DVD Features:
Jordi Savall Documentary
Interviews with Alain Corneau, Jean-Pierre Marielle and Jordi Savall
Making of Featurette
Cesar Awards Footage
Original French Theatrical Trailer
Commemorative 8 Page Booklet

Available Subtitles: English
Available Audio Tracks: French (Dolby Digital 5.1)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theatrical Release Information

Production Company: Film Par Film, Paravision International S.A., Divali Films, DD Productions, Sédif Productions, France 3 Cinéma, Centre National de la Cinématographie (CNC), Canal+
USA Box Office: $3 Million
Filming Locations: Paris, France

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the dazzling tradition of Amadeus, Tous les Matins du Monde is a seductive tale of music and passion set in provocative 17th century France. Academy Award® nominee Gérard Depardieu (Best Actor – Cyrano de Bergerac) stars in a fascinating story filled with romance, lust, desire, devotion, revenge and intrigue. A reclusive composer and his two beautiful daughters’ lives are forever changed by a flamboyant young student who enters their lives. See for yourself why critics and audiences alike are applauding this magnificent film and celebrated winner of 7 César Awards including Best Picture!
Background on the Film The film is the result of the collaboration between novelist Pascal Quignard, director Alain Corneau and musician Jordi Savall who wanted to do a film on music. Quignard wrote and adapted the book to a screenplay.

The film was a phenomenal success and sold 2 million tickets in the first year and was distributed in 31 countries. The soundtrack was certified platinum (500,000 copies) and made Jordi Savall an international star.
Old 02-08-06, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Let me cool off your enthusiasm...Koch Lorber, 1.66:1, and anamorphic enhancement do not mix well.

*Also not so sure why you posted this in the International section

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 02-09-06 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-09-06, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
*Also not so sure why you posted this in the International section
Ciao,
Pro-B
Why not? Is it not a foreign film or am I missing something? Although is about a DVD per say its still an international movie so I would imagine that it would fit perfectly here as it does in the DVD talk forum. I always thought the international forum was more lenient about things like this. was this what you were referring to? If not forgive me I must have missed something in the post by the OP.
Old 02-09-06, 08:18 AM

Koch Lorber's web site and press release both stated this would be anamorphic.
Old 02-09-06, 08:23 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
two words: Koch Lorber... (shudder)
Old 02-09-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
Why not? Is it not a foreign film or am I missing something? Although is about a DVD per say its still an international movie so I would imagine that it would fit perfectly here as it does in the DVD talk forum. I always thought the international forum was more lenient about things like this. was this what you were referring to? If not forgive me I must have missed something in the post by the OP.
...this does appear to be a R1 release...and I was under the assumption that R1 product should be in the main forum. And for the record I don't think it is an issue, just thought that more people are likely to read the info there as opposed to here.

As to Koch's releases...they are mostly a mixed bag for me. But this is a great film and I hope they provide a good presentation.

Pro-B
Old 02-09-06, 02:46 PM

Sorry Pro-B, I just thought that fans of foreign (non-R1) films would be more likely to see it here, and that if I posted an announcement for a French film in the main forum, I'd get comments that it should go here. Also, I got a little over-exited and may have been hyperventilating.

As far as DVD content, I'm not a fan of Koch Lorber's work so far, but had this release happened a year ago the rights were owned by Disney (Buena Vista) who, through Miram-Axe, would have butchered this masterpiece with a barebones non-anamorphic release.

The transfer may or may not be stellar, but 16X9 and a whole disc of extras far exceeded my expectations. Also, my VHS copy has been rendered unplayable, so anything is an improvement.

Funny about no date for R2, though.

Last edited by ghlbtsk; 02-09-06 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-09-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

it was just a remark ....and I do share your excitment!

Pro-B
Old 02-09-06, 07:39 PM
Cool New Member

It's about freakin' time!
I second that!

Think I'll go pop in the soundtrack to celebrate!
Old 02-09-06, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

...this does appear to be a R1 release...and I was under the assumption that R1 product should be in the main forum. And for the record I don't think it is an issue, just thought that more people are likely to read the info there as opposed to here.

As to Koch's releases...they are mostly a mixed bag for me. But this is a great film and I hope they provide a good presentation.

Pro-B
I got you. I didn't mean to make it sound like it was an issue I just wasn't sure if that was what you were referring to.
Old 08-14-06, 09:03 PM

Sorry to dig up such and old thread, but was wondering what the verdict was on this release. All I can tell from this thread is that Koch Lorber tend to not deliver the most quality of DVDs all the time. Can anybody who has this R1 disc verify the quality of this disc? I am curious as it is in the latest DDD Koch Lorber sale. Thanks...

Amon
Old 08-15-06, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I am sorry I can not comment on it. I did not get the R1 disc. Holly did not like it:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read....=21384&___rd=1

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 08-15-06, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am sorry I can not comment on it. I did not get the R1 disc. Holly did not like it:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read....=21384&___rd=1

Ciao,
Pro-B

....keeping in mind that she does not like the film...
(I like the film and enjoy the dvds myself)