Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Going multi-regional, question about Amazon

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 10-06-05, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks in part to dvdbeaver I am taking the plunge and getting a multi-region dvd player and was wondering about Amazon.co.uk. Being I have a lot of trust in amazon I thought it would be a good place to go. My question is can I get R2 dvds shipped from Amazon Uk to America? I'm assuming it's more money but is the option itself there? And sorry if this is the wrong board, this seems like the most logical place to ask
Old 10-06-05, 07:32 PM

Yes, Amazon.co.uk ships to the USA. It is a very reputable seller and I have ordered several times from them with no problems. Plus Amazon.co.uk takes out the VAT from foreign orders so that should compensate for the shipping charges. Of course, UK DVDs are expensive due to the currency exchange but there are several DVDs that are reasonable or even cheaper than their US counterparts. Some DVDs that are OOP in the USA like "Portrait of a Lady" and "The Jazz Singer" are available from UK at a very reasonable price. You should consider buying from CDWOW too since they have several UK discs that are cheaper than Amazon.co.uk, especially with the $ 2 off link. Yiu can search the threads here for more information about CD Wow and Amzon.co.uk.
Old 10-06-05, 07:35 PM

Ok thanks, what's the exchange rate roughly these days? 2 dollars= 1 pound?
Old 10-06-05, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ReservoirDog45
Ok thanks, what's the exchange rate roughly these days? 2 dollars= 1 pound?
It's more like 1.78 dollars = 1 pound
For the current exchange rate go here: http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Amazon.co.uk also deducts VAT (17.5%) from the price of items shipped to the US too.
CD-WOW is another good R2 site, plus they have free shipping.
Old 10-06-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another great thing I've found about amazon.co.uk is from time to time I will get a loose disc in a case, and it will be scratched up. I email them, and they send me a replacement no problem, they don't even request the defective back (though I offer to send it back every time if they pay for postage!)

The only thing that I do not like about them, I can't order toys, games, or software from them.
Old 10-06-05, 10:12 PM

what is VAT and how exactly does it work?
Old 10-06-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wennma01
what is VAT and how exactly does it work?
Value Added Tax. It's the same as being taxed here in the states but it is already included in the price of the item. As stated in one of the posts above; it is removed before you pay the final price when you order online from places like Amazon.co.uk. I got back from the UK recently and it does feel like almost 2 to 1 against the dollar. I remember exchanging $1,000 there and getting back a little over 500 pounds.
Old 10-07-05, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Use this link if you decide to go via cdwow. This gives you an automatic $2 off every title (prices shown already have the $2 off)..

http://www3.cd-wow.us/promotion.php?..._1&affid=14282
Old 10-07-05, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Brett
It's more like 1.78 dollars = 1 pound
16:9. Intriguing...
Old 10-07-05, 08:05 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

just a FYI..the Jazz Singer is being re-released here on October 18th.
Old 10-07-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another plus for Amazon.co.uk (and every transaction so far has been flawless) is that they have always charged shipping based on the number of titles, not the number of discs, so a box set costs no more for shipping than a single disc.
Old 10-07-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Perhaps obvious but I'll throw it out there anyway. If you already have an Amazon.com US account, the same username/password is valid for all international (UK, France, Germany, etc.) Amazon sites.

Also, perhaps insignificant, but, when you purchase international DVDs and pay via credit card in foreign currency, you will find that most credit cards will charge you a "foreign currency conversion fee". It may be variable but the cost to you may be roughly 3% of your purchase price. Just something to be aware of beforehand so you know what to expect when you get your card statement (it will be one of the items at the bottom of your list of charges). CD-WOW (although limited in selection) is good in that way since you have the option of paying in U.S. dollars thus sparing you conversion fees.
Old 10-07-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by flixtime
Perhaps obvious but I'll throw it out there anyway. If you already have an Amazon.com US account, the same username/password is valid for all international (UK, France, Germany, etc.) Amazon sites.

Also, perhaps insignificant, but, when you purchase international DVDs and pay via credit card in foreign currency, you will find that most credit cards will charge you a "foreign currency conversion fee". It may be variable but the cost to you may be roughly 3% of your purchase price. Just something to be aware of beforehand so you know what to expect when you get your card statement (it will be one of the items at the bottom of your list of charges). CD-WOW (although limited in selection) is good in that way since you have the option of paying in U.S. dollars thus sparing you conversion fees.
The Japanese Amazon site didn't recognize my Amazon account and I had to redo it on their site before I could place an order.
Old 10-07-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've never ordered from Amazon Japan so I just (incorrectly) assumed form held true with them as well; thanks for the clarification.
Old 10-09-05, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im in NY and Ive ordered several times from Amazon UK (Spaced box set-twice, Layer CAke, 28 Days Later) and have never had a problem delivery or price wise. I recently ordered the Phantasm Sphere box set and The Descent ,both in one order (releases are a week apart), and it came to roughly $48, not bad I thought.
Old 10-09-05, 01:06 PM

Thanks for all your help, any reccomendations for a fairly cheap dvd player? Right around $200 would be great and portable would be even better
Old 10-09-05, 01:36 PM
Mod Emeritus

Shinco is a name I've seen bandied around in previous threads on this topic.
Old 10-10-05, 05:24 PM

Any dependable site that sells them?
Old 10-11-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ReservoirDog45
Thanks for all your help, any reccomendations for a fairly cheap dvd player? Right around $200 would be great and portable would be even better
For $200 just get the Oppo player. It's one of the best all region player regardless of price.

http://www.oppodigital.com/

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...h&articles=122