Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

SPECIES METAL TIN Asian DTS WS - HELP ???

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More
View Poll Results: Rate this DVD
A Keeper
0%
Extreemly RARE
0%
Semi Rare
0%
Bad - Bootleg.. Etc.
100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-05, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello New here. Major Collector.
I have researched this DVD for days with no success. I am unable to find any information on it. Does anyone know anything about this Asian Species DVD in a Metal Tin Case? The print on the Case is completly in English with Asian Stickers and the DVD language when played is all English. I have no idea what the stickers say. I'm guessing this was made in China considering the optional Subtitles are as follows: English, Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean, Thai, and Bahasi.... Closed caption however is only available in English. Why only English? Are there no Deaf People in Asia? (Had to add a little humor). My guess this DVD was used for some Pre Test Market in Asia? If anyone can please give more insight on this it would be most appreciated. Please click on links below to see the images I have provided. Here is more Technical info on the DVD:

UPC: 025192053126
Widescreen Format
NTSC - ALL
Includes a Species II Trailer
MGM/UA
DOLBY DIGITAL -- DTS
ENGLISH Version
DVD-9

PICTURE 1
PICTURE 2
PICTURE 3
Old 10-06-05, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i dunno, this kinda looks like a bootleg to me. it doesn't look very MGM-ish, if you know what i mean (the MGM Leo logo isn't even the same as used universally, the dvd logo with a -9 appended to it). the fonts are all wrong and not at all uniform. i have R3 MGM titles that don't look that different from R1, so i'd say it's fishy.
Old 10-06-05, 04:30 PM

ReallY? A TIN Case Bootleg? That would be very time consuming for the manufacturer no? The Fonts look blurry on the pic but in person its Crisp and clear and alligned. .. Not sure if this helps but one of the stickers on it says DREAM MOVIE? Any idea if this is Japanese, Chinese, Korean etc? Thanks Darmok.
Old 10-06-05, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by darmok
i dunno, this kinda looks like a bootleg to me. it doesn't look very MGM-ish, if you know what i mean (the MGM Leo logo isn't even the same as used universally, the dvd logo with a -9 appended to it). the fonts are all wrong and not at all uniform. i have R3 MGM titles that don't look that different from R1, so i'd say it's fishy.
Your right about the MGM Logo. I compared it to my US MGM prints and there is something fishy. However, even though the logo is different in the US, is it possible for a legit Asian Print logo to differ ? Or would this still offically make it a bootleg? Just wondering. Thanks again.
Old 10-06-05, 07:45 PM

I was just in Chinatown yesterday and I saw the "X-Men" in the same kind of tin case. It looked genuine.
Old 10-07-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

don't let the metal packaging fool you, i've seen boots come in tins before. the artwork/fonts simply don't look very legitimate. i have that R3 x-men tin, and it's legit (you can tell by looking at it up close at it). i could be wrong, but you're better off staying away from it.
Old 10-07-05, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does it that it is a dvd-9 much or what? Sheesh! Just by going on that alone (4 places where it mentions the disc type... could be more) I would have to agree that it is a boot!
Old 10-07-05, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
Does it that it is a dvd-9 much or what? Sheesh! Just by going on that alone (4 places where it mentions the disc type... could be more) I would have to agree that it is a boot!
So the DVD 9 is a dead giveway of a bootleg? WOW, This is one of the best one's I've ever seen. Found it a t a pawn shop. It has an insert and everything. If anyone knows the language on the insert and stickers that would help. Thank you for everyone's help. More suggestions welcome.
Old 10-07-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Foghaze
However, even though the logo is different in the US, is it possible for a legit Asian Print logo to differ ?
As far as I know, no. I think this is a very good bootleg.
Old 10-07-05, 04:34 PM

The language on the inserts is Chinese.

Suggesting that "anything that says dvd9 means bootleg" is just ignorant.

This has been discussed many times.
Old 10-07-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by splattii

However, Chinese + DVD9 means a very high probability of bootleggedness.
Old 10-08-05, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by splattii

Never said just becuase a dvd has dvd9 on it means it is a bootleg. Check my response in the other thread regarding dvd9.

However, in this case, it is plastered on the case, the labels, the back, the side...and probably on the disc too. To me...dead giveaway.
Old 10-08-05, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, the UPC, if you take out the first and last digit makes it....tada!!!! MEET JOE BLACK according to dvdprofiler.

Last edited by Bill Geiger; 10-08-05 at 02:56 AM.
Old 10-10-05, 05:01 PM

Not sure what you mean by taking out the first and last digit? Where would I go to check something like this. Is there a database? Thank you.
Old 10-11-05, 05:04 AM

Take everything that's been discussed so far and add the fact that the specs say NTSC - ALL and that would lead me to believe that it's a bootleg. MGM putting out a regionless disc on purpose and then advertising it? Plus add in the fact that the insert has no mention of MGM or the movie itself and repeatedly says "Dream Movie" totals it up to obviously be a bootleg to me.
Old 10-11-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

major (Hollywood) studios rarely blatently advertise a disc as DVD-9 as something special (i know MegaStar did this with their first few DVDs, but that was awhile ago). bootleggers tend to exploit all sorts of DVD terminology on the packaging to make it "special".