Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Coolest-Looking Non-Region 1 DVDs/Boxsets [part 3]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Coolest-Looking Non-Region 1 DVDs/Boxsets [part 3]

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not only I received it from Axelmusic.dk but it came to Chicago in 4 days...how abot that!! This is the second time they delivered so fast...I ordered on Wednesday night/I guess Thursday afternoon in Denmark...correct, and it came with Monday's mail (i am in Chicago by the way).
As to Arven i think that AxelMusic carry the non-English-friendly version. Look here:
http://www.axelmusic.dk/resources/co...8758651455.jpg
...but then again, just as it was the case with Kaurismaki's the man without a past the English subs are not mentioned on the back cover.

The best thing though would be that you email Rasmus at [email protected] and when you set up an account inquire about the title...he will let you know for sure. From what they have posted though it is not the version you want. With Kops it is a bit more tricky...the Swedish disc has the subs for sure...the Danish disc I think AxelMusic has is not the subbed one (again email Rasmus...he will assist you for sure). Brothers I would definitely go for the Danish disc...in fact that is why I wanted to review the R1 disc...while picture quality is nearly identical...extras/presentation....goes to the Danish disc, I mean there is nothing on the R1 disc. Other films:

I loved this one (and a very good DVD):
http://www.laserdisken.dk/html/visva...77522002741000

Susane Bier's Open Hearts...which is a 100% replica of the Danish disc (even some Danish menus) but with an English cover that you could buy from Amazon.UK. The disc is LOADED and the film is TOP NOTCH...easily Bier's better film (not Brothers). If I were you I would buy it before anything else. The price is great as well.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...559229-0202244

I also have my eye on this one...for next month
http://www.laserdisken.dk/html/visva...32765510514721

With this said, if you don't have any of these I would strongly consider...
Manden Bag doren (very dark film but I love Iben Hjejle...check out the R1 Mifune disc as well)
http://www.laserdisken.dk/html/visva...73129117572517

or you could pick Thomas Vintenberg's (FESTEN) latest Dear Wendy...
http://www.laserdisken.dk/html/visva...73129117572517
...and NO I would not buy the Russian "port".

But...if you ask me...I would first go through the UK on the way up to Denmark and pick up (the essentially Danish disc) of Open Hearts.

Ok...Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 09-26-05 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-28-05, 01:38 AM

D9 <> Bootleg

Originally Posted by andicus
Huh? This logic escapes me... The majority of DVD's made are DVD9's.
D9 is a DVD format: it does not mean it's a bootleg. Completely irrelevant. DVD9 means the DVD is dual layer and can hold more data for DTS soundtracks, etc.
Old 09-28-05, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts
Originally Posted by lingling
D9 is a DVD format: it does not mean it's a bootleg. Completely irrelevant. DVD9 means the DVD is dual layer and can hold more data for DTS soundtracks, etc.
Yes, that was my point. I didn't get why FantasticvsDoom was suggesting that they would be bootlegs, when the majority of legit releases are DVD9's.
Old 09-28-05, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, that was my point. I didn't get why FantasticvsDoom was suggesting that they would be bootlegs, when the majority of legit releases are DVD9's.
He's confused - HK/Chinese bootlegs have historically prominently displayed "DVD-9" on the front covers. To the point where "DVD-9" is almost a 'brand' for bootleg. But the discs simply being DVD-9 format is not associated with boots, nor does a prominent DVD-9 logo on discs from other countries necessarily indicate bootleg product. For example, legit Thai releases often proclaim their dual-layer DVD-9'ness to the world.
Old 09-28-05, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I admit to being a little confused on this issue, but I have seen the single disc Seven Swords and Hero that are in the set and they had the heavily displayed "dvd9" on them so that is why I thought that there was a possibility that they might be boots. Not saying they are, but thats why I posted it, because I wasnt sure.
Old 09-28-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ahh, now I get it. Thx for the clarification!
Old 09-28-05, 04:33 PM

It's not a bootleg, but it also should not have English subtitles. None of the GD Face releases for Seven Swords has English subs, so it would be strange if the limited set did.

So just keep that in mind if you order one.
Old 09-28-05, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sifu
It's not a bootleg, but it also should not have English subtitles. None of the GD Face releases for Seven Swords has English subs, so it would be strange if the limited set did.

So just keep that in mind if you order one.
http://stores.moviesville.com/Items/1501721?

We have very reliable sources. This "Seven Swords" DVD does have English subtitles.
Old 09-28-05, 06:01 PM

Good to hear!
Old 09-28-05, 06:38 PM

Sifu,

How did you come to the conclusion that we www.movieSville.com sold a lot of bootlegs on eBay? Are you a former customer of ours?

We don't carry bootleg stock. If you get any items from us that look dubious, you can submit to MPAA or law enforcement or any studio for verification. Or contact me.

Our customer service can be reached at http://www.movieSville.com - use the "Contact" link. For customer's security concerns we do not directly respond to emails but we respond to posts on our Customer Service pages.

-Ling Ling
Old 09-29-05, 09:48 AM

Yes, it was quite a while ago on eBay. And I did receive a bootleg. I don't know anything about your online site, or how you operate now, but a quick look does show some DVD's on your site which are not legit.

For instance, many of the Miyazaki titles from Mainland China that you sell are not legit. In fact, they even use prints from a very well known bootleg company called Anime Cartoon, and feature an orange logo in the shape of the letter "A" that shows up on the print every so often. Go ahead and check them yourself. It's quite easy to spot.
Old 09-29-05, 03:01 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lingling, if you want to advertise your store here, you'll need to pay this site's owner. Failure to comply with this request will have the result you would expect from reading your membership agreement.

Old 09-30-05, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Japanese Blade Trilogy 5 disc set

sorry about the small size,
but that is the Star Trek 12 disc Original series boxset from Japan
Old 10-05-05, 10:15 AM

I am not a moderator, but I would hope LINGLING would be allowed to defend himself against such claims. There is more than one post in this thread speaking on his merchandise. I have never purchased from him, nor do I know who he is, but as a person who would like to stay informed I can only make a proper decision upon hearing both sides of the story.
Old 10-05-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree. As long as there isn't blatant promotion of their products or website, it's nice to have representatives of stores here to answer questions related to their products.
Old 10-05-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I agree. As long as there isn't blatant promotion of their products or website, it's nice to have representatives of stores here to answer questions related to their products.
Agreed. Seems he was just defending the company he works for and their product, not promoting it.
Old 10-05-05, 12:32 PM

All you have to do is look through their anime section to see that it's the same bootleg crap as sold on places like eBay. I'd say about 90% of the anime they sell is bootleg product. There are very few legitimate anime titles released in asian countries that include English subs.

The fact that they claim not to sell bootlegs, and obviously do, shows that they are either lying, or have no idea what they are selling. Either way, I'd say it's a red flag.
Old 10-05-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sifu
All you have to do is look through their anime section to see that it's the same bootleg crap as sold on places like eBay. I'd say about 90% of the anime they sell is bootleg product. There are very few legitimate anime titles released in asian countries that include English subs.

The fact that they claim not to sell bootlegs, and obviously do, shows that they are either lying, or have no idea what they are selling. Either way, I'd say it's a red flag.
After it was mentioned I took a look at some of the "Ghibli" discs on the site.
Goshu The Cellist and My Neighbor Totoro (grey border) both claim "Studio Ghibl"
on the covers. I'd say that's a pretty big red flag
Old 10-05-05, 02:21 PM

No offense but I think this moviesville.com bootleg vs. not bootleg stuff should go into another thread.
Now, back to shiny dvds

Van Helsing (Korea)

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (Japan)

Old 10-05-05, 02:57 PM

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Oh please tell me its english subtitled
it comes with the game too right?
Old 10-05-05, 03:41 PM

No offense but I think this moviesville.com bootleg vs. not bootleg stuff should go into another thread.
True enough.

Oh please tell me its english subtitled
it comes with the game too right?
No English, it does come with the game, and it's out of print. It was sold out before it was released last month.
Old 10-05-05, 05:05 PM

No english subs. The R1 release I believe is set for Dec of this year. The ultimate edition pops up ebay every now and then.
Old 10-05-05, 07:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
i am sure this one was mentioned...

i didn't like the first movie all that much, but hell if i am gonna let another foreign box set pass me by, especially if it looks like that.

so anyone know what the sphere is made of? with the cheap price i hesitate to think it is mere plastic...and thus i might cancel.
Old 10-06-05, 11:01 AM

Phantasm Sphere

Originally Posted by scott1598
so anyone know what the sphere is made of? with the cheap price i hesitate to think it is mere plastic...and thus i might cancel.
Hello there, again, Scott

Acording to Anchor Bay:

From: Marc Morris <[email protected]> [Add to Address Book] Flag Message | Mark Unread
[This is spam]
To: [EDIT]
Subject: Re: Anchor Bay UK Query
Date: Oct 6, 2005 2:06 AM

the sphere is highly chromed plastic, as per the actual movie spheres.

Best regards,

Marc Morris
Webmaster
Anchor Bay Entertainment UK
http://www.anchorbay.co.uk/

On 6 Oct 2005, at 02:37, [EDIT] wrote:

> Hello. For the upcoming Phantasm box set, could you advice if the
> sphere is made out of plastic or is it some kind of tin?
>
> Thank you for the response.
>
>
>
>

I'm for this box set to be of decent packaging quality!

Last edited by onabudget; 10-06-05 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-06-05, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
i am sure this one was mentioned...

i didn't like the first movie all that much, but hell if i am gonna let another foreign box set pass me by, especially if it looks like that.

This did pop up in the v2 thread but damn it still never fails to bring the shiny.
I only saw the first and yeah it was crap but with that box - argggh so tempting!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.