Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Spain DVDs -anything new of interest?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 06-16-05, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has been a quiet year for me importing from Spain.

Time for an order. Anyone recommend any discs from Spain?

New films only.
Old 06-16-05, 10:56 AM

In Spanish just in case:

Tiene sido un año reservado para mí que importa de España. Hora para una orden. ¿Cualquier persona recomienda cualquier disco de España?

Películas nuevas solamente. Definitivamente estoy comprando Bombón El Perro.

Ila tecnología de la traducción es el coger práctico!
Old 06-16-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I kind of liked Lobo. it was interesting. not the best movie as more could have been done but it managed to be entertaining and interesting. I also picked up Machuca (from Chile) which is playing in theaters (selective) around the US now. Also picked up, Nicotina with Diego Luna and finally picked up Crimen Ferpecto by Alex de la Iglesia. No site has English subs posted on it but the case does have english subs. Can't confirm if it does or not since i haven't watched it yet. Also there are these 2 packs of alex other films with Crimen Ferpecto but i can't comment if they have english subs as I already owned the previous releases.
Old 06-16-05, 03:12 PM

Thanks for that info. I'll check those out later on IMDb.
Old 06-16-05, 04:18 PM

BuddhaWake please let us know if Alex de la Iglesia's Crimen Ferpecto contain English subtitles (Only after you're watching the dvd). Thanks.
Old 06-17-05, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I don't know how new these titles will be for you Daniel but....here you go:

Carlos Saura's El Séptimo Día (7th Day)....

Iciar Bollain's Te Doy Mis Ojos (Take my Eyes)....SUPERB FILM!!! The UK got a non-anamorphic hack I think.

Manuel Aragon's La Vida que te Espera (Your Next Life)...

Also this might sound strange to many but I just loved A mi Madre le Gustan las Mujeres (My Mother Likes Women)....what a great laugh!!

I still have not seen Leonor Watling's Inconscientes...but how could you go wrong with her...and Luis Tosar is there to add to the fun!!

Last but not least I am planning to give El Lobo (The Wolf) a spin....Eduardo Noriega's latest film. The DVD looks to be a great package with DTS, etc, and the Spanish critics (and fans) loved it. So, naturally...the DVD should come to Chicago

ok..Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 06-17-05 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-17-05, 06:14 AM

More interesting stuff, thanks guys
Old 06-17-05, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by ilan
BuddhaWake please let us know if Alex de la Iglesia's Crimen Ferpecto contain English subtitles (Only after you're watching the dvd). Thanks.
Review of the disc here

Englsih subs are listed here and confirmed on the artwork

Not the best headwear
Old 06-17-05, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Clicking on this thread was a mistake....................for my wallet.....even moreso given that the DDD 20% sale is also going on.......oh well.

I've sort of been doing a personal tour of world cinema with my DVD buying habits of the last year. I'm not too familiar with Spanish-language cinema (besides the stuff that has crossed over here to the U.S. - Almodovar, Bardem, Bernal, del Toro, etc.)........but some of the titles sure look interesting.

Under consideration for purchase (thankfully the dollar is doing a lot better vs. the euro now than it has been for the past few months):
Machuca
El Septimo Dia
Te Doy Mis Ojos
La Vida que to Espera
El Lobo (looks promising from the trailer)
Crimen Ferpecto (if English subs are confirmed)

So..........is DVDGO the site you guys use to pick these up?
Old 06-17-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just in case DVDTalker BuddhaWake is tied up with the DDD20% sale, I decided to write to DVDGO about the English subs on "Ferpect Crime" (which is not listed as having subs on their site). Their superfast reply (I guess they'll be getting my business) to me is as follows:

Dear XXXX,

We are writing to confirm you that the film "Ferpect Crime" has English subtitles.

Thank You very much.
Best wishes,

DVDGO Customer Care

Now you might want to wait for definite confirmation from BuddhaWake, but it seems to be a go.
Old 06-17-05, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

100% Confirmed. There is English subs for the feature which by the way, looks great just slightly soft from when i saw it in theaters.

Last edited by BuddhaWake; 06-17-05 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-18-05, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by flixtime
So..........is DVDGO the site you guys use to pick these up?
....or VeoVeo. DVDGO comes faster to Chicago though (if that shall matter to you).

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 06-18-05, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks guys for the feedback. I was impressed by DVDGO's fast response time to my inquiries, English-friendly site, and apparent fast shipping times so I went with them and ordered the following:

Machuca
El Septimo Dia
Te Doy Mis Ojos
La Vida que to Espera
El Lobo
Ferpect Crime/Day of the Beast (2-pack)

To keep me busy until they arrive, I've got the Danish puppet film "Strings" loaded in the player for a spin tonight or tomorrow.

off-topic if I may:
Pro-B, congrats on your new reviewer gig here at DVDTALK (it is new right?). Actually I've thought for some time now that - if you were so inclined - you should approach Geoff about doing a monthly column for the site's home page. Anyway, based on your review (I had missed your earlier thread on the film), I'll be picking up "Le Conseguenze dell'Amore" within the next couple of weeks. The trailer looks sweet.
Old 06-18-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by flixtime

off-topic if I may:
Pro-B, congrats on your new reviewer gig here at DVDTALK (it is new right?). Actually I've thought for some time now that - if you were so inclined - you should approach Geoff about doing a monthly column for the site's home page. Anyway, based on your review (I had missed your earlier thread on the film), I'll be picking up "Le Conseguenze dell'Amore" within the next couple of weeks. The trailer looks sweet.
Thank you Flixtime. Yes, Geoff was kind enough (actually extremely kind) to inivte me to contribute with reviewing some of the upcoming titles. So, I should be able to sneak (every once in awhile) a few of my discs in here. I have been thinking about discussing with Geoff the possibility of adding up a page for non-R1 releases as the market grows bigger and bigger. Perhaps we could get some of the UK, French and Danish houses to assist with screeners the way the R1 companies do. I would not mind reviwing the discs I get every month (in addition to R1) but I am talking about early reviews. Of course, all of this is most;y wishful thinking.

Thank you again and enjoy "Le Conseguenze...". I liked the film quite a bit, perhaps too much style but very good story.

Regards,
Pro-B
Old 06-27-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received my order and all went well; thumbs up to DVDGO. You know what I really like about buying import DVDs...........no f***ing security stickers! Remove the shrink wrap, check for scratches, and file it away on the shelf......nice and simple.....as opposed to dealing with my recent order from the latest DDD 20% sale.

Anyway, so far...yes, I was a little eager...I've watched Crimen Ferpecto(aka "Ferpect Crime") and El Lobo. I enjoyed them both and submit that they are well-recommend.

Crimen Ferpecto was my first exposure - and it won't be my last - to the work of Director Alex de la Iglesia (coincidentally picked up "800 Bullets" from DDD prior to this order for "Crimen Ferpecto"). His work kind of reminds me of a guy like Tarantino. There was a lot purposefully familiar about it yet he still created something that felt original and unique. There was a definite Hitchcock vibe and from what happens in one scene I'm sure he's seen "Very Bad Things". I'd like to sit down and talk movies with this guy; he seems like he'd be a real movie buff and fun to talk movies with. Back to the movie........loved the first 50+ minutes (classic black comedy)! It really never let up.......everything came at you so fast. The later part of the film also had some solid material but did not fare as well in comparison to the beginning set-up. I also didn't care too much for the very end. While I do think the last third of the film could have been taken in another better direction.......the film is still well-recommended - the first 50 minutes or more was really great and the performances by the two leads were terrific.

El Lobo is a solid American (1970's)-style political suspense/thriller. While it generally follows formula and doesn't really bring anything new to the genre (besides shedding some light on the Spanish political situation which foreign audiences might not be familiar with), it certainly delivers what one would expect from a movie of this type......you know....undercover cop infiltrates bad guys' organization to try and bring them down. I enjoyed the work of Eduardo Noriega and look forward to checking out some of his other stuff.

And to close, a frivolous observance.........I'm sure glad that Spanish cinema - unlike the current neutered state of American pop cinema (god, I miss the days of Tanya Roberts and "The Beastmaster) - isn't afraid of a little nudity for us grown-ups. Each of the above films features a brief but commendable (and necessary imho) scene of nudity for you guys out there who keep track of such things.
Old 07-01-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sometimes "the early bird gets the worm" and at other times "patience is a virtue"..............

DVDGO just started a sale and for anyone that is interested you can get - what appears to my eyes at least - a very good deal on the DVDs discussed in this thread. I suppose you guys who've used them in the past are already aware of this sale, so this is intended more for those whose interest might have been kindled by this discussion but were on the fence about ordering. Now seems a good time for a first order.

Anyone have some recommendations for other older Spanish cinema titles (with English subs) that might be worth a pick up?
Old 07-01-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

entre las piernas
anything by alex de la iglesias
torrente and torrente 2
Old 07-05-05, 12:31 PM

I see they still have their 20-25% off sale on. Let's spend more money

A recommendation from me would be El Bola. Cracking little film and great DVD transfer. A warning for UK viewers, don't think it's smart buying/renting the UK Drakes Avenue release as it's one of the worst transfers I've seen. Taped based, 2:35.1 in a 4:3 frame and subtitles that can be seen from the moon. They've really outdone their shit Kontroll DVD. Avoid this company. If you fancy Kontroll go for the Hungarian DTS disc.

Other things of interest is the Vietnam film The Boys in Company C (2:35:1/4:3, forced subs (easily removed)) and the dragged through the US courts and eventually essentially banned to Americans (including Canadians), film with DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire, Zentropa's Don's Plum (16:9).

If people see anything else of interest post what you find!
Old 07-05-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

anyone knows for how long this sale is good for? they have some interesting stuff outthere. For other recomendations i'll say Nicotina wasn't bad, it was new and it included some peculiars characters. As for Kontroll, great little film, which btw, I have for trade/sale on the exhchange forum. If you haven't seen Entre las Piernas, that's a real good one too. As well as La promesa and Astronauta.
Old 07-05-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

What films are you looking for (genre)? I can upload two dozen titles after I get back home. For once I would strongly recommend Leonor Watling's films Son de Mar, Unconscious, and My mother likes Women. Great laugh!!

Pro-B
Old 07-05-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
anyone knows for how long this sale is good for?
Promoción válida del 01/07/2005 hasta el 31/08/2005
Old 07-05-05, 03:48 PM

To remove forced/locked Manga Spanish subtitles:

1. From the main menu choose Idiomas/Subtitulos

2. Then choose V.O. Ingles (subtitulada)

3. Choose Pelicula to play the movie for a few seconds (ie from the 2nd Manga logo –with this DVD that’s Title 2, Chapter 2 on this occasion)

4. Press Menu on the remote to return to the main disc menu

5. From the main menu choose Idiomas/Subtitulos

6. From the next menu choose Sin Subtitulos

7. Then select Menu on the DVD screen

8. Select and choose Continuar

That's it. Should work on any DVD player if done correctly.
Old 07-05-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone know if "The Fencing Master" aka "El Maestro de Esgrima" (1992) is available (or will soon be available) anywhere in the world with English subs? The one being sold via DVDGO doesn't have English subs, and I'm a total sucker for movies with swordplay.
Old 07-06-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Note - If you ever want to know about the characteristics of a Spanish DVD and you can't find any review, you can always ask here. It is a Spanish-speaking forum, but I'm sure you'll get information if you ask a simple question (and you don't mention that you voted for George W. Bush ).
Old 07-06-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Grubert
.....It is a Spanish-speaking forum, but I'm sure you'll get information if you ask a simple question (and you don't mention that you voted for George W. Bush ).

Pro-B

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.