Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Dead Man's Shoes (UK DVD) -Highly Recommended

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-05, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't too keen getting the disc as I'd hated the director's previous (Once Upon A Time in The Midlands). However, there was hope as I'd loved his Twenty Four Seven and A Room for Romeo Brass

I loved Dead Man's Shoes. Surely in my top few British films in the last 5 years. Paddy Considine is completely rivetting and although the film is brimming with violence it is very moving. I particulaly liked the Toto le héros* ending

If you appreciate Alan Clarke's (Scum, Elephant) style of filiming (with a bit of Arvo Pärt and other great music) that'll give you some idea of what to expect.

Johnny Vegas designed that film poster. Strange but true. I don't think the poster does the film too many favours but Meadows seems to like it.

www.shanemeadows.co.uk

*Toto le héros is on DVD in France incidentally.
Old 05-08-05, 03:54 AM

DVDTalk.com review
Old 05-12-05, 12:10 AM

I liked it quite a bit also. Much better than the recently released Layer Cake.

Bensons are offering a decent price for Dead Man's Shoes.
Old 05-12-05, 02:06 AM

Agreed. Dead Man's Shoes is one of those movies that feels like a punch to the stomach...in a good way....kinda. Anyway, worth tracking down. Has anyone seen any word of this getting a US theatrical release? I'd have no problem supporting this at the box office.
Old 05-12-05, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love this film. I saw it at the Toronto Film Festival with Paddy Considine and Shane Meadows in attendance. Great dvd as well. I also recommend Meadow's "A Room For Romeo Brass." Another great film and dvd with a fantastic supporting performance from Considine.
Old 05-12-05, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks for the review. Ordered one as soon as I left the board.
Old 09-01-06, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched the R1 dvd yesterday and it blew me away. Very good movie. It avoided the usual revenge cliche's very well. Highly recommended indeed.
Old 09-01-06, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I'd actually compare it to Mad Max in that it's not actually nearly as violent as you might think from the ads or reputation (look at that slasher film quote on the poster/UK dvd cover) -- there's much more implied than actually shown. Excellent movie though.
Old 09-01-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought this from CDWOW for $5.95 and received it today. I can't wait to give it a watch!
Old 09-01-06, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just ordered it today. thanks for all the comments guys.
Old 09-01-06, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only reason I could think someone should wait for the region 1 is if it offers subtitles or closed captioning. The region 2 does not have either of these options and the dialogue can be very hard to follow for an ugly American. Otherwise, highly recommended for lovers of the genre(revenge flick).
Old 09-02-06, 02:41 AM

dialogue can be hard to follow even for someone who has always lived in england... anyway, the films a cracker for its story, and its a much more accurate (although clearly not entirely real) representation of british life, personalities, and accents.
Old 09-02-06, 07:42 AM

Unfortunatly I didn't really like this one that much. I am going to see the premiere of Shane Meadows's "This is England" next week however, so hopefully it's much better.
Old 09-02-06, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by splattii2
Unfortunatly I didn't really like this one that much. I am going to see the premiere of Shane Meadows's "This is England" next week however, so hopefully it's much better.
most of the real issues with 'dead mans shoes' are (in my opinion) due to the budget. hes done bigger budget films before, perhaps this new one had more cash spent on it. still, there wasnt much reaction outside the UK (that i remember) to his work prior to 'dead mans shoes', which i think is perhaps to do with this whole 'british gangster movie' thing thats an utter fantasy in many peoples eyes (one which they believe, even if theyre british and know better) and thats a shame. 'dead mans shoes' is a good story, greatlead performance form paddy considine, but still a little contrived and a little too close to that whole 'lock stock' bullshit were still going through a decade after it should have faded away.
Old 09-04-06, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by logboy
most of the real issues with 'dead mans shoes' are (in my opinion) due to the budget. hes done bigger budget films before, perhaps this new one had more cash spent on it. still, there wasnt much reaction outside the UK (that i remember) to his work prior to 'dead mans shoes', which i think is perhaps to do with this whole 'british gangster movie' thing thats an utter fantasy in many peoples eyes (one which they believe, even if theyre british and know better) and thats a shame. 'dead mans shoes' is a good story, greatlead performance form paddy considine, but still a little contrived and a little too close to that whole 'lock stock' bullshit were still going through a decade after it should have faded away.
Could you please explain your post a little better?
Old 09-04-06, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Could you please explain your post a little better?

which part?
Old 09-04-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The thing about the budget and the "lock stock" bullshit.
Old 09-05-06, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
The thing about the budget and the "lock stock" bullshit.
meadows previous film had more money but wasnt quite the experience he hoped for and the film not as successful as hoped. the actors in 'dead mans shoes' are all professional as far as i recall, and the lower-budget to the film lets down how well it all hangs together, but also adds to its atmosphere in a strange way. the whole british gangster movie thing is heavily connected to british culture circa mid-90s and has intentionally been strung-out for commerical purposes even though many have backlashed against that kind of culture and representation of what amounts to a small percentage of british people as a way of portraying what british life is like... guy ritchie is no longer regarded as a good director, more of a fluke with his first film... anyway, however much backlash against these films there is, some people still seem to think theyre cool british films - shame. 'dead mans shoes' has unfortunately been lumped into that kind of catagory, when its very little about the gangsters and more about the retribution or revenge and paddy considines stunning central role / performance.