Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice on player upgrade

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Hi all! I've had a Daewoo-5800 for a few years now, and it's served me well. But I recently upgraded my tv to a 65" HDTV and I'm really feeling the need for a progressive scan player. I don't really need anything super-fancy for features: my priorities are high-quality progressive playback and digital/optical audio output. I'd like to pick up something in local stores (like Best Buy, Circuit City, etc) that can be made region-free (like with a code), if possible. I know about all the online resources for region-free players -- I'm just looking for the input of this forum, especially if someone else has recently done a similar purchase. Thanks!
Old 03-22-05, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a budget in mind ??

Have you ever read the Secrets' DVD Benchmark ??

Dvd players don't really have fancy features but with such a big screen I'd avoid buying a cheap player and prepare to spend at least $150 to maybe $400. Off the top of my head, cheap Pioneer 578, mid-range Panasonic S97, Expensive Denon 2200/2900/2910. Supposing you can find them as I frequent Best Buy, Circuit City and Good Guys (ugh, $$$ but just to look) occasionally and don't think they even carry those specific models. But they are pretty popular, speedy, put out a good to great picture and can be made region-free fairly easily (though you might want to check online first if you can find the firmware / code hack b4 making a final decision). Since you're buying from these stores you can easily buy and compare them and return whichever you dont' like.

check out the dvd player forum at www.avsforum.com as well, thats where I used to go. but now that I have a dvd player, Denon 2900 (got it less than half retail, Good Guys was clearing them out months back), and I am absolutely happy with it, I don't visit there as often. Good luck and keep us posted =)