Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Kill Bill 1&2 Box Set?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Kill Bill 1&2 Box Set?

Old 12-28-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kill Bill 1&2 Box Set?

Is there anywhere to pick up these as a single box set? I've waited to purchase this film pending the release of a box set that contains both films. Also - which country has the best version? Most blood, whatever...
Old 12-28-04, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://us.yesasia.com/assocred.asp?C...ection-videos/
or
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...227727-8948345

THE set to have... it perfectly suits your requirements.

Last edited by DrGerbil; 12-28-04 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-28-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well - somewhat elaborate cool-looking packaging would be nice too... also, extras in English are a must.

Is the JP DVD set the same content as the individual JP sets that came with those toys and crap?
Old 12-28-04, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trigger
Well - somewhat elaborate cool-looking packaging would be nice too... also, extras in English are a must.

Is the JP DVD set the same content as the individual JP sets that came with those toys and crap?
If you want it all, I suggest buying the separate Japanese V1 and V2 sets. The set I linked does not have any of the trinkets that came with the individual sets... only the films in a slipcase.
Old 12-28-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 452 Likes on 326 Posts
The Japanese 2 DVD box set's discs are identical to the single versions and limited box versions (it's only the packaging that's different, and the "toys and crap" that came with the limited boxes of course)

As for extras in English, I can't speak for Vol 2, but the Japanese Vol 1 does have a few features that are in Japanese only (anime "making of" featurette, text pages, menus, etc). But still, as far as the film itself goes, this is definitely the version to own.
Old 12-28-04, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok then - so disc content is the same. So... you promise it's worth ~60 bucks? My brain won't allow me to think of these as two separate movies. Grr...

What about Korea? They gonna release a boxset? And the US? I've heard of the Japanese set having more blood or something, but don't know to what extent. What's the difference between regions if you don't mind explaining.?

thanks for the advice by the way - this is helpful.
Old 12-28-04, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From what I remember, the differences between Japanese and US versions are:

In the bar towards the end of KB1, Uma Thurman's fight with the Crazy 88 turns to black&white early on. In the Japanese version, it remains in color for the entire fight. I would guess this is something Quentin Taratino had to change to avoid an NC-17. But I can only speculate why.

Also in the Japanese version of KB2, there is an extra 30 seconds of Mexican prostitutes sitting around. I think that's the only difference.

As for the extras, I don't know as I only have the Japanese 2 disc set. I don't need any tshirts or toys or stuff. And I don't know anything about Korean, French, Venezuelan or any other countries' versions.
Old 12-28-04, 08:35 PM

also, after uma rips the guys eyeball out from when the fight goes to black/white, she throws the eyeball into the guys mouth and he swallows it. it shows a few reaction shots to that.

the scene where go-go yubari is with the japanese guy in the bar, and she guts him. it shows more of the guts and blood hitting the floor.

also, it shows uma cutting off sofie fatale's other arm while in the back of the car before she gets rolled down the hill into the front of the hospital.

there might be a few other additions, but i can't think of them right now.

all other releases from other countries, have the same cut as the US version. japan has the only unedited cut.

Last edited by dyerjp; 12-28-04 at 08:36 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 12-28-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts
The best packaging containing the two films together comes from France:

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASI...306083-3542539

I believe the extras are in French only, though, and the movies have forced French subtitles.
Old 12-28-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

fuck it - I'm convinced... thanks. Sounds like it's worth 60 bucks to me.

edit: that French set looks awesome - too bad about the subs and features though. I suppose the likelihood of the Korean release having the same content as the JP set is probably pretty slim. I think I can live with a boring slipcase as long as the content is awesome.
Old 12-28-04, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes... makes me wonder if I should just sell my V1 box and get the 2-disk set.
Old 12-28-04, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One last thing - any chance of there being a US version with an unrated director's cut containing the same content as the JP set with the similar packaging as the France set and costing only 35 bucks?
Old 12-28-04, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One last thing - any chance of there being a US version with an unrated director's cut containing the same content as the JP set with the similar packaging as the France set and costing only 35 bucks?
I'm not Kreskin, but I would wager NO. Even if the packaging is nice, I would imagine Miramax would find some way to bungle up the transfers.
Old 12-28-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Check the main DVDTalk forum, there was a thread where someone posted a shit load of release dates, one of which included a Kill Bill 1+2 set.

Who knows what it will include, but I doubt it will be anything as crazy as the French set.

Here you go, look about halfway down the page..

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ight=kill+bill

August 9
Kill Bill: The whole bloody affair

Last edited by flashburn; 12-28-04 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-28-04, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts
Miramax and Tarantino have both stated many times that they would release a "unified" version of the film in Region 1 that will most likely contain the "uncensored" violence from the Japanese version plus all new bonus features. It's expected towards the end of 2005. Miramax has never been into fancy packaging, however.
Old 12-28-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So... no sense in waiting? I just don't want to double dip on something again..
Old 12-28-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So... no sense in waiting? I just don't want to double dip on something again..
Oh, if you are a fan, you'll still end up double dipping, if only for the extras and the combined cut of the film.
Old 12-28-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

those bastard!
Old 12-29-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 452 Likes on 326 Posts
Shit, I've already double dipped on these, and that will be far from the end of it for me. I love these films, so bring on all the different editions.

Trigger, the Japanese cut of Vol 1 is far superior to the other version IMO (and I've watched both versions many times, theatrically and on DVD). One caveat on the Japanese DVDs though, the English subs cover all the dialogue, English and otherwise. Not a big deal on Vol 2, as there is only one large segment in Cantonese ("The Cruel Tutelage of Pai Mei") and the rest is all in English, but with Vol 1, there are large portions of the film that go back and forth between English and Japanese, so you will either have to watch everything with subs, without subs, or continuously toggle them on and off, as you need them. I just leave them off at this point, since I know most of the dialogue by heart anyway.
Old 01-05-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock
Trigger, the Japanese cut of Vol 1 is far superior to the other version IMO (and I've watched both versions many times, theatrically and on DVD). One caveat on the Japanese DVDs though, the English subs cover all the dialogue, English and otherwise. Not a big deal on Vol 2, as there is only one large segment in Cantonese ("The Cruel Tutelage of Pai Mei") and the rest is all in English, but with Vol 1, there are large portions of the film that go back and forth between English and Japanese, so you will either have to watch everything with subs, without subs, or continuously toggle them on and off, as you need them. I just leave them off at this point, since I know most of the dialogue by heart anyway.
Are all R3 versions like this?

Im looking at getting these....

http://www.koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=18714
http://www.koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=19896
Old 01-05-05, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by RockStrongo

I wouldnt go for those, those are the regular R3HK versions. I dont know the exact details but normally R3HK releases arent the best around.
Old 01-05-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've waited all this time, i'll just wait it out till the end of the year for the R1. My resolution is at least try not to double dip anymore.
Old 01-05-05, 01:24 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Go for the second one: http://www.koreandvds.com/dvddetail.html?id=19896

It's not the HK but the Korean DVD, and it includes several covers for the DVD, all of which are better than the US DVD cover. I actually own both the US and Korean DVD, and the quality of the image looks identical to me. Also, the Korean DVD comes in a case which can hold both the keepcases of part one and two
Old 01-05-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Korean censorship is more strict than Japan - fyi