Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Almodovar's BAD EDUCATION (La Mal Education)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 08-05-04, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pedro Almodovar's Bad Education is to be released in the UK on October 4th.

via the Times

"
Fox Home Entertainment have announced the UK Region 2 DVD release of Bad Education (La Mal Education) for 4th October 2004 priced at £19.99. From Pedro Almódovar comes an intricately woven thriller that leaps from the present to the past in the most stylish of ways as it alternates between fact and fiction.

The DVD will offer an array of fascinating special features including an interview with Pedro Almódovar, deleted scenes, trailers, television spots, a ‘making of’ montage, photo gallery and a press book."

Cheers
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 11-09-04 at 12:47 AM.
Old 11-09-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

A quick update that the new release date now is December 27.

extras:

* Interview with director Pedro Almodovar
* Deleted scenes
* English press book
* 'Making Of' montage
* Photo gallery
* TV spots
* Theatrical trailer
* Teaser trailer
* Interactive menu
* Scene access

Cheers,
Pro-B
Old 11-09-04, 03:36 AM

it would be interesting to know if subs are forced or not...
Old 11-09-04, 09:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
A quick update that the new release date now is December 27.

I am sure someone at Sony Classics doesn't want us North American Almodovar fans to see this on our region-free players right at the time of it's stateside theatrical release.
Old 11-09-04, 11:01 AM

Forced subs on a UK disc? Never heard of that. I'm sure Pathé UK aren't about to start it either.

Pity this has been delayed. 27 December now seems the new date (which was also the supposed date of Motorcycle Diaries/Diarios De Mototcicleta -now 7 February 2005).

Can't wait!

www.amazon.co.uk are doing an Almodovar boxset for a good price (minus tax + shipping for non-EU). I'm sure the release of this will be delayed due the inclusion of Motorcycle Diaries.
Old 11-09-04, 11:12 AM

Daniel Windsor

are you humoristic or what?
Almodovar's talk to her - a Pathé disc - has forced subs.
and some Artificial Eye release has them too.
it is true that until 2 years ago UK was the country of freedom from subs, but now things are different so I prefer to be cautious.
Old 11-09-04, 11:24 AM

Forced = the disc tells the player to refuse to remove subtiltes.

Burned in subtitles (what you're talking about it seems) are burned in at the video or cine stage. Nothing to do with being 'forced' (like many Italian and French discs) and the player has nothing to do with the subtitles as they're part of the picture.

Some UK discs do have burned in subtitles but not any recent Pathé discs I've seen.

Those in that Amazon.co.uk boxset or not necessarily the best versions anyway. Good price perhaps for new fans and people who want Bad Education.
Old 11-09-04, 11:27 AM

I am talking about this
Forced = the disc tells the player to refuse to remove subtiltes
just to be sure that my memory wasn't faulty, I have just checked the talk to her DVD and I confirm the subs are forced.
Old 11-09-04, 11:36 AM

Well, if they are really forced you can find away of getting around the problem. My Toshiba DVD player does it fine with all discs.

I don't recall any Artificial Eye DVDs with forced subs. There may well be though.
Old 01-03-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Giles,

I will bump this thread with the review link...

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=55666

Pro-B
Old 01-03-05, 02:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey thanks Pro-B, I did a search and for some reason or the other, this thread wasn't included (go figure?). Hey Pro-B can you write a quick suggestion to Nicheflix for me to see if and when they might rent this out, my home computer has real problems with Nicheflix's website.

Last edited by Giles; 01-03-05 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-03-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Sure, I will email Mark and post on his forum...though I did suggest the title to him and he promised that Niche will carry it.

Regards,
Pro-B
Old 01-03-05, 06:17 PM

Subs are burned in!
Old 01-03-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Where is Daniel.......

Pro-B
Old 01-03-05, 06:28 PM

Subs are burned in!

Oh my god! Jesus H. Christ! I ran out of gas! I got a flat tire! I didn't have change for cab fare! I lost my tux at the cleaners! I locked my keys in the car! An old friend came in from out of town! Someone stole my car! There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!

First we have the re-election of W, Iraq and that Tsunami and now we're forced to watch English subs! We in America like to watch films not read them!

Hopefully, those subs are forced and not burned into the image. Forced subs shouldn't be a problem to remove for most people.

I have my disc here in front of me and I'll post ASAP with the spec. I'm really looking forward to watching (and reading) this film.
Old 01-03-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...erm... most of the time it is easy enough to tell whether the subtitles are 'burned' in: they are very small (too much so! - for people watching, say, an Iranian movie on a small TV) since they are really meant to be easily legible when projected onto a cinema screen... these subs cannot be removed, since they are on the original film...

...so-called 'player-generated' (a pet gripe of mine: the player doesn't 'generate' anything, it merely reproduces the subtitle stream that is recorded on the disc!) subtitles - whether plain or captions - are generally (much) larger, to permit easy reading... these subs can be either optional, or they can be 'forced' (a.k.a 'locked' - or 'imposed', as the French say)... ...if the latter, on some players (not all, by any means!) there may be a trick to get around this, so a person can watch a movie without subs if they so desire...

...just thought that was worth mentioning...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 01-03-05 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-03-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Daniel Windsor
Subs are burned in!

Oh my god! Jesus H. Christ! I ran out of gas! I got a flat tire! I didn't have change for cab fare! I lost my tux at the cleaners! I locked my keys in the car! An old friend came in from out of town! Someone stole my car! There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts! IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD!

First we have the re-election of W, Iraq and that Tsunami and now we're forced to watch English subs! We in America like to watch films not read them!

Hopefully, those subs are forced and not burned into the image. Forced subs shouldn't be a problem to remove for most people.

I have my disc here in front of me and I'll post ASAP with the spec. I'm really looking forward to watching (and reading) this film.

Actually, your "gripe" was/is with the Azzurri fella....but hey...:...I love your passion. ha ha

Pro-B
Old 01-04-05, 04:37 AM

There is a review here DVD Times alas it confirms that subs are non-removable. As for tricks to remove them it concerns mainly DVD-ROM players, I like silence when I watch a film so...I'll patiently wait for a R2 Spain release.
Anyway it is good to see that Daniel Windsor experienced first hand that DVD's have non-removable subs in UK too
Old 01-05-05, 09:50 AM

Ok, the good news. I can confirm the subtitles are not burned in or forced/locked. I'm just off the blower with the CEO and VP over at Fox Distribution UK and he's confirmed they are 'over-laid' on the video image.

A bit disappointing that for people who know Spanish. I can't see any technical reason for it.

The bad news? I don't have time to watch this tonight but I will in the morning. Looks a beautiful transfer from the few scenes I sampled.

Gracias mucho por la asistencia técnica mdm67!
Old 01-06-05, 03:47 AM

Beuatiful film! I really enjoyed that.

Since we're talking about European foreign language films, I'll recommend I'm Not Scared which I also enjoyed. Holly E. Ordway took a look at it here

The US and UK DVDs are the same. Excellent image.