Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Sub Bounty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sub Bounty?

I just read through the AGENTS SECRETS thread and it occurred to me that for DVDs withouth english subtitles, it might be worthwhile to hire, or otherwise monetarily encourage, the creation of third-party subtitle tracks.

For people who watch DVDs on their PC, the software DVD players like Zoom, VLC and Media Player Classic can make use of an external subtitle track with no hassle (just drop the file in the right directory and it automagically works).

If you only watch DVDs on a stand-alone DVD player, you could rip the original movie and reburn it with the subtitles embedded. I figure that would work for most DVDs, even dual-layer discs because you could either use a dual-layer burner with (currently expensive) dual-layer blanks, or just rip the movie only, no extras, and chances are it would fit all by itself on a regular single-layer blank.

I figure around US$50 would be a fair price for an appropriately sync'ed, ascii text (.srt) subtitle track. Get ten people together and that's only $5/each. Anyone else like this idea? Any potential subtitle authors here have an opinion?
Old 11-30-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Jah-

While I understand your argument (sort of) this whole business of ripping the film, subs, etc borders sheer bootlegging. At least that is what every company exec would tell you.

Pro-B
Old 11-30-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think you misunderstand me.

It isn't even close to bootlegging.

I am not proposing the distribution of anything other than a text file containing an independently-created English translation of the dialogue in the film.

I suspect that I went into too much technical detail in explaining the mechanics -- ignore those details if they aren't crystal clear. Just suffice to say that what I am proposing could easily and legally be made use of by anyone with a modern PC, even if they use a regular DVD player to watch movies on.
Old 11-30-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This idea is around on other parts of the intarweb. For instance, if you'd like a fully English subbed Haute Tension--the uncut version--I can send you one . Luckily some people are insane enough to consider this do-able.

In any case! I think this is a great idea, and worth exploring... what are some films that might be able to benefit?
Old 12-06-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jah-Wren, if you're still interested, here are a few sources for subs:
www.divxsubtitles.net
www.fivxstation.com
www.kloofy.net
www.extratitles.to