Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DAWN OF THE DEAD (DTS) Director's Cut Premium Edition (Japan Versio

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-04, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well anyone got this yet?

DAWN OF THE DEAD (DTS) Director's Cut Premium Edition (Limited Edition) (Japan Version)

Why is it Limited? are all the extras from the other versions on this set? and is there anything making this worth the extra cash?

DTS is nice, but apart from that is there anything else?

as I had the Thai R3 dvd and it was good, but the picture was very dark and didnt help the film much for me, wonder if that is all versions or just the R3 version?

Old 10-19-04, 04:42 PM

I'm getting it for sure! I think it's limited simply because it will go out of print very quickly after release. Expect a DTS track and nice packaging
Old 10-19-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DAWN OF THE DEAD (DTS) Director's Cut Premium Edition (Japan Versio

Originally posted by Romerojpg
Well anyone got this yet?

DAWN OF THE DEAD (DTS) Director's Cut Premium Edition (Limited Edition) (Japan Version)
I wouldn't imagine so...it's not out til November 5th in Japan.

I pre-ordered mine through Yesasia a while back although their cover image is strikingly different from the one i'm hoping to receive!
Old 10-19-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I saw this topic I thought this might be some sort of cool Japanese edition of the original version. Oh well. That cover is hideous.

Last edited by namlook; 10-19-04 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-19-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by namlook
Oh well. That cover is hideous.

It certainly is....and certainly doesn't look like the one touted as being the 'Premium DTS' edition so hopefully Yesasia have it wrong!
Old 10-19-04, 07:15 PM

That's not the DVD cover, it's a poster. They probably just didn't have the cover handy when they needed a picture.
Old 10-19-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
CDJapan is showing what will likely be the real cover. I'm guessing that the bonus disc included makes this set "limited". After the first pressing is sold out, future pressings will probably not include the bonus disc. This is commonly done in Japan (first pressings containing some kind of bonus item: disc, postcard, etc)
Old 10-20-04, 11:11 AM

Not sure to get it or not as it may not have all that say the UK R2 has, as that has all the extras and DTS and is far far cheaper.
Old 11-06-04, 07:20 AM

Anyone get this yet then? or waiting for delivery men to get it to you

as I neeeed this film like a crack adict needs his hits!
Old 11-06-04, 07:28 AM
Banned

out of all the releases what is the definative version that has the best quality and extras? sum it up for me without making me do the search.
Old 11-06-04, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Got_Criterion
out of all the releases what is the definative version that has the best quality and extras? sum it up for me without making me do the search.
So basically, do all the work for you, since you are too lazy?

http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=5899
Old 11-06-04, 08:21 AM

Well to be honest dvdcompare knows nothing at all, as they dont go into detail and state probs with things such as the dark transfer on the HK dvd and the Thai dvds, and they dont review the dvds themselves they go on second hand info, they give very basic lists and really they dont say whaich is best from the point if best picture and sound etc...

I use them to see what extras are on dvds and such, but to find the best version of a film I wont use them. Thats why I am waiting to see what the Japanese edition is like before I make the jump as the Thai/HK dvds are not gonna be bought as the transfers are messed up, and no DTS on UK or R1 so they are out for now as well, so that leaves a few other ones whith DTS but less extras, boy its not easy this dvd buying

Japanese dvd is hopefully uncut unlike the American cut, with nice DTS and all the etxras from all the other versions, we will wait and see I dont mind paying silly amounts for the Japanese edition if it is the best.
Old 11-06-04, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
The also have no love for Region 3.
Old 11-06-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure how long Amazon.jp standard International delivery takes to the U.S., but as soon as I get my hands on it I'll let you know. Kinda expensive but the DTS should be worth it as well as (hopefully) some cool packaging and the other stuff mentioned.
Old 11-06-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Bundled mine with Shrek 2 to save on shipping so have to wait two more weeks.
Tell us how it is Matome when you get it! Thanks.
Old 11-06-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the approximate delivery date shows 11/26 - 12/3, so you'll probably get it before me! Just couldn't justify the extra $20 for Express shipping.
Old 11-07-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by matome
Not sure how long Amazon.jp standard International delivery takes to the U.S., but as soon as I get my hands on it I'll let you know. Kinda expensive but the DTS should be worth it as well as (hopefully) some cool packaging and the other stuff mentioned.
It actually takes about 10 days. The dates they quote for delivery seems like it takes a month but I think they do that just to cover their ass. They still use DHL and then it is handed over to your local USPS for delivery.
Old 11-07-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, that doesn't sound too bad then. I was hoping they were just covering their butts!
Old 11-12-04, 04:12 AM
NMA

Received mine from cdjapan

I have received my copy from cdjapan today.

Here are the pictures I have just taken. There's a reflective cardboard sleeve:

Unfortunately the cover is the speculated one and it is horrible:

I guess the reason for extra material being avail. on a seperate disc is due to the space consumption of DTS track. It is strange because the director's introduction for this version appears on the second disc :-)

I confirm that this is completely uncut and uncensored. We have our naked zombie lady here, too:
mature_pic_not_work_friendly

Here are some menu captures:

Last edited by benedict; 11-12-04 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-12-04, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool, mine should be arriving any day. Did you notice any different extras (like the featurette that is only on the R1 R-rated version)?
Old 11-12-04, 09:14 AM

Yup are the extras identcal to the other region dvds

and looks like I can buy now, but may wait to see how the transfer is?
is it darker than it should be? as the HK and Thai transfers for me were pretty bad in that department

and the cover is acctually growing on me a bit
Old 11-12-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hopefully, the transfer will be better (not that the R1 was bad) since there's more room dedicated to the film now that the extras are on another disc. God, I can't wait to check out the DTS track!
Old 11-12-04, 11:19 AM

Thats the thing, I expect better picture as they have soo much extra room to up the quality, but will we get better quality?

guess we wil have to wait and see/

and is the DTS full bit rate?

Not that it matters too much to me as I can barley hear the difference most the time on my equipment, but the track would take up a hefty amount of space
Old 11-13-04, 12:51 AM
NMA

DTS is not full bitrate. Half bit rate (768 kbps)
Old 11-13-04, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Got mine today (5 days with regular air shipping from amazon.jp ) and just finished watching it and all I have to saw is, WOW. Compared to the R1 there is a marked improvement in picture quality and the DTS track (though half-bitrate) blows away the DD track. The extras are the same as the Unrated R1, except that the R2 also has 2 trailers (U.S. & Japan in DD5.1) and 4 Japanese TV spots. If you like the movie enough it's well worth the $50 for the upgrade.

I took caps with WinDVD6 from my R1 & R2 discs, and you can see the difference in the detail/sharpness of Ving's face, arm patches and the trees.

R1:

R2 JAPAN:

Can anyone translate the menu option (from Disc1 bonus section)with the green hand icon over the "ON". Since the item above it is definitely the commentary track and has the same beginning characters, it would seem to be another commentary track, but it doesn't do anything when I select it.

Last edited by matome; 11-13-04 at 02:10 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.