Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How to use a Chinese DVD player in the USA?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-04, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just brought a DVD player (AMOI DVD-S800) from China to the USA. The player is multi-regional with video output format of NTSC and PAL.

However, after I connected the player to our Sony TV, which is American standard (NTSC format), some DVD discs can but others can not be played. For those DVD discs that can not play, I can hear the audio but the picture on TV keeps rolling and moving vertically and is just black and white.

Does this problem have anything to do with our TV’s NTSC format (rather than PAL)? Is there any other way (for example, to adjust TV or DVD player’s settings) to solve the problem?

If I use an S-video cable to connect TV and DVD player, will it by any chance solve the problem?

Thanks for the advice.

Nick
Old 08-08-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for the discs that do NOT play, are they PAL discs?
They probably are, and that is probably why they have that problem.
Old 08-09-04, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Yes, if your DVD player is just outputing a PAL signal (from a PAL DVD) to your NTSC TV, you will encounter the problem you are describing. To play a PAL disc, you either have to have a DVD player that internally converts a PAL signal to NTSC and then sends that converted signal to a NTSC TV, or have a player that outputs a PAL signal to a PAL TV or a multi-standard TV (a type of TV that is very rarely found in North America but is commonly found in China).
Old 08-09-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
There is probably a section in your DVD player's menu that you can change the output from PAL to NTSC. This tells the player your monitor is NTSC and will output in that mode. Your picture is rolling because the player thinks your monitor is PAL.