Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Studio Ghibli question.

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Studio Ghibli question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-04, 12:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Studio Ghibli question.

I just watched 'The Cat Returns' over the weekend. Along with the feature, is a 22min episodic show called the Ghiblies: entitled 'Episode 2': the three stories range from the subtle to the hysterical, mixed with varying animation styles. Needless to say I loved the short much more than the feature: my question, on which disc is 'Episode 1' (or is there one?).

Secondly, I love the music from most all of the Ghibli/Miyazaki films and I was wondering if there were any CD compliations released in Japan (obviousily) that culled songs/soundtracks together as a 'Best of'? Anyone know if such a compliation exists?
Old 06-28-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Search for Studio Ghibli at www.cdjapan.co.jp, there are some compilations that come up, these should be what you are looking for.
Old 06-28-04, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nausicaa.net is probably the definitive English-language source for information about Studio Ghibli releases.

Unfortunately they say here that only Episode 2 of The Ghiblies is available on video:

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/vid....html#ghiblies
Old 06-28-04, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by GHackmann
Nausicaa.net is probably the definitive English-language source for information about Studio Ghibli releases.

Unfortunately they say here that only Episode 2 of The Ghiblies is available on video:

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/vid....html#ghiblies
Thanks for the link GHackmann, now I want to buy the DVD 'Thank You Mr. Lasseter'
Old 06-29-04, 01:58 PM

Re: Studio Ghibli question.

Originally posted by Giles
Secondly, I love the music from most all of the Ghibli/Miyazaki films and I was wondering if there were any CD compliations released in Japan (obviousily) that culled songs/soundtracks together as a 'Best of'? Anyone know if such a compliation exists?
Ghibli CD compilations 1986 - 1993 and Ghibli CD compilations 1993 onward (1999).
I have the Ghibli 10 CD box set myself, supplemented by the Japanese Mononoke Hime OST and the Sen to Chihiro Memorial Box myself.
The easiest way to find the OSTs at places like amazon.co.jp is to copy the Catalog # from Nausicaa.net, and do a search for it.
Old 06-30-04, 08:58 AM

and on a side note (but still related) I find it kind of annoying that Nicheflix pretty much rents out all of Ghibli's Japanese DVD's yet 'The Cat Returns' prequel: 'Whisper of the Heart' isn't one of them...
Old 07-01-04, 02:58 PM

dvds

ive got all the japanese releases of the ghibli films... including "whisper of the heart: which is ten times better than "the cat returns" in every aspect... cos the disney / ghibli (or tokuma) relationship has never been much to shout about (except in anger!) i bought them all as they came out... the next USA ones are now delayed until 2005 so as to cash in whe "howls moving castle" makes it to US cinemas... silly : most people who want them already know they want them... everyone else can buy them when they realise how good ghibli films are...! i dont know of "episode 1" of ghiblies on dvd .... didnt know about the short until i got the dvd with "episode 2" on : which is superb BTW...!
Old 07-03-04, 12:18 PM

IVL BOX

check out the upcoming IVL box set (limited 2000 copies) at www.asiandvdguide.com : all the ghibli films in one go. cool for those who dont have any and want them... cant wait for them... cant or wont pay japanese disc prices...
Old 07-03-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
logboy, any idea how much it will be?