Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there a misused piece of music on the HKL DVD of The Killer?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-04, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Owning both the Criterion R1 and the Winstar R1 DVDs of The Killer, I recently purchased the HKL R2 DVD of the film. However, there seems to be a misused piece of music in the HKL version of the film. This misuse occurs during the scene when the cop sits down in the killer’s armchair while one of Jenny’s songs plays in the background. The song played during this scene on the HKL disc is the same song Jenny sings toward the beginning of the film. However, on both the Criterion and the Winstar DVDs of the film (as well as on VHS in the U.S. for that matter), a different song sung by Jenny is played during the aforementioned armchair sequence (which involves inter-cutting shots of both the killer and the cop sitting in the armchair). I am assuming that the song used on the Criterion disc et al is correct. This is merely an assumption, but the song used in these versions gives the sequence a sense of reflection and depth on the part of both the viewer and the character of the cop. Alas, this mood is broken on the HKL disc by using the song Jenny sings during the opening in the night club for said sequence. So, does anyone know why there is a difference between the HKL version and these various other versions? Also, does anyone know for certain which version does in fact utilize the correct piece of music during said sequence? Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Old 06-24-04, 03:41 PM

I also have noticed this and I don't know what the reason is for the difference. I own the Criterion, Winstar, French Region 2(which has both the theatrical cut and longer Taiwanese cut), HKL Region 2, and the new Fortune Star/IVL Region 0 release. The Criterion and the Winstar releases(they are the same transfer, just different subtitles) are the only ones with the "correct" song. The rest of the releases have the song that Jenny sings at the beginning of the film for that scene. I don't know which one is truly correct but I also like the song played in the Criterion/Winstar version better. I don't know why all of the other releases use different music.
Old 06-24-04, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the new Fortune Star/IVL Region 0 release
How is it, by the way? Picture/audio-wise I mean...
Old 06-25-04, 06:36 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The Criterion/Winstar release is correct. I saw the film in a theater (festival) and that was the song played.
Old 06-25-04, 09:44 AM

it's pretty good, paratize. I didn't however like the DTS track all that much. I selected the original mono and I was very happy with it. The picture quality seemed very good to me but then again I'm not as picky and as able to spot the faults as some people are. I haven't watched Bullet in the Head yet that also came with the set.
Old 06-25-04, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welb25, any comparisons you can give between the HKL & new Fortune Star killer would be great.

Its so weird to have Bullet in the Head finally arrive with TWO competing versions. I have already preordered the HKL as its cheap at CDwow, but am interested in the Fortune Star too.
Old 06-25-04, 12:25 PM

doing some quick comparisons on my PC it seems the new Fortune Star is a little lighter than the HKL. I think the HKL still looks the best to my eye but I don't like the 5.1 remixes. I like that the IVL/Fortune Star has the original mono.
Old 06-25-04, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by welb25
doing some quick comparisons on my PC it seems the new Fortune Star is a little lighter than the HKL. I think the HKL still looks the best to my eye but I don't like the 5.1 remixes. I like that the IVL/Fortune Star has the original mono.
How would you rate the English subtitles on the Fortune Star releases? Thanks again for your input!
Old 06-25-04, 10:21 PM

The subtitles seem to very well done but I have only watched about halfway through the disc. It does not seem to be a big departure at all from the other discs. I have noticed no misspellings or grammar errors.
Old 06-27-04, 07:28 PM

I have the Killer from HKL and Universe HK. In the Universe version, the music used during the mentioned scene is the "main song" in bar. HKL used this music too. However, if you watch the interview with Peter Pau in HKL disc, when the clip of the mentioned scene appears briefly (Peter was disussing about how to shoot that scene) it features different Jenny's song. Strange indeed.
Old 07-09-04, 04:36 PM

ok, I really messed this up. In checking this section of the film on the various dvds I own of this movie I forgot to pay attention as to what audio selection I was listening to. The piece of music used on the Criterion/Winstar disc is indeed the one used on every release that has the original mono soundtrack. When checking the IVL/Fortune Star and French HKVideo releases I was listening to the DTS and Dolby Digital remixes on the IVL/Fortune Star and the French Dub on the French HKVideo. I had not selected the Cantonese Mono track. It seems the song that Jenny sings in the bar at the beginning is used for this scene only in the remixes and dubs. All of the original Cantonese mono tracks seem to be correct. I apologize.
Old 07-09-04, 08:45 PM

thanks

Thanks for the update welb25!
Old 07-10-04, 09:13 AM

no problem, Hulka. I'm sorry for screwing it up so bad the first time, lol. It makes sense that the original mono soundtracks would have the correct music and that the remixes wouldn't. Just another reason I prefer the mono tracks almost all of the time. It seems there are other, less obvious instances on the Killer where some different music and musical cues are used on the remixes but I haven't really gone through to check all of them.
Old 07-10-04, 03:24 PM

Yes, I prefer the original mono too welb25. However, I read such good things about the HKL version of The Killer that I finally picked it up. Alas, I was very disappointed with the sound mix featured on the HKL disc. Specifically, the sound effects dominate every single scene of the film. When we first see Chow appear on the water in that speedboat, the music is supposed to dominate. On the HKL disc, it doesn't. Overall, the music always seems to be in the background (i.e., very subdued) on the HKL disc.

The first thing that made me cringe during my first viewing of the HKL disc was the absence of silence right before that goon opens the sliding door in the night club, only to be shot as Chow springs into action. There is supposed to be silence right before the aforementioned occurs. The silence commences right around the time that Chow stands against the wall in the night club sequence towards the beginning of the film and cups his hands in front of him. Beautifully done...the calm before the storm if you will. Sadly, the HKL sound mix features Jennie still singing in the background during this very moment. In any event, I must still pledge my allegiance to the Criterion DVD of the film. I am aware that this allegiance merely constitutes a personal preference. Specifically, a preference that is most likely not shared by others.

P.S. I have only seen three versions of The Killer on DVD (Winstar, Criterion, and HKL). However, all three of them spell Jennie with a "y" at the end instead of "ie" (i.e., Jenny). This seems odd to me because the name is clearly spelled "Jennie" during the end credits of the film. Don't get me wrong: 1) the aforementioned represents nitpicking at its worst 2) I really don't care one way or the other, and 3) the alternative spelling in no way detracts from the viewing experience of film. Nevertheless, I find it amusing that most companies would disregard the spelling of said name featured in the end credits for another spelling of the same name. Anyway, this is just food for thought... For all intents and purposes, The Killer rocks no matter what DVD version of it you own.
Old 07-10-04, 10:39 PM

yeah Hulka, every 5.1 remix I've heard of the Killer has Jenny still singing during the moment before the guy opens the sliding door. I hate it.