Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Brother R1 vs R3 "Uncut"

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Brother R1 vs R3 "Uncut"

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-04, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brother R1 vs R3 "Uncut"

I bought the R1 release of Takeshi Kitano's Brother used for $4.99 and thought it was a pretty good flick, so I was looking around to see if there was a SE in another region and noticed HKFlix is selling an "Uncut" version (R3 only) and wondered what the difference between the versions were.
Old 05-18-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=1073
Old 05-19-04, 11:27 AM
Cool New Member

yes the US DVD is cut. Specifially blood has been de-colourized. I've seen both versions; and the international version is a much more visceral experience. The US cut seem flat to me when I watched in on release, but I was riveted to my seat watching the international version 3 years later. I think the editing is responsible for the film's poor reception in the US. My opinion of it now after seein the original version is that it is one of the best Yakusa dramas every made. (and I've seen a few)

The HK DVD is non-anamorphic; leaving your only quality choices the Japan or UK DVD. If you can play PAL disks, I can recommend the UK DVD, I picked it up form Amazon.co.uk when it was on sale for 4.99

Last edited by Purple X; 05-19-04 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-19-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Purple X

The HK DVD is non-anamorphic; leaving your only quality choices the Japan or UK DVD. I

Japan and the UK are NOT the only quality options. I own the Dutch version which also has English subs and is one of the better uncut versions on the market.

Cheers,
Pro-B
Old 05-20-04, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by Purple X
yes the US DVD is cut. Specifially blood has been de-colourized. I've seen both versions; and the international version is a much more visceral experience. The US cut seem flat to me when I watched in on release, but I was riveted to my seat watching the international version 3 years later. I think the editing is responsible for the film's poor reception in the US. My opinion of it now after seein the original version is that it is one of the best Yakusa dramas every made. (and I've seen a few)
Can you think of any perticular scene where this is noticable?