Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Reconstruction (2003)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Reconstruction (2003)

Old 05-09-04, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reconstruction (2003)

Christoffer Boe's Reconstruction has just gotten a release date in Scandinavia. The film played at the Hong Kong Film Festival and most notably it won the Camera d'Or at Cannes in 2003. So far I can not tell whether or not the DVD will have English subs. Similar to Aki Kaurismaki's release of the MAN WITHOUT A PAST there are no English subs announced (though with the Kaurismaki disc English subs were provided via the main menu).

In addition, those of you that are familiar with FESTEN and It's All About Love Mogens Rukov will offer a commentary on this disc. This alone is worth the price of the disc (if there are English subs...though Rukov speaks perfect English). I absolutely loved his comments on the Dogme movement and remarks regarding the work of Thomas Vinterberg in Festen and It's All About Love.

Anyway....I've gone through most of the Scandinavian forums (have not checked Finland and Norway yet...only the Danish DVDMEKKA had some info) but if Gunde or Yocke can confirm whether or not this disc will offer English subs I will greatly appreciate it. I will also email my friend Michael at the Danish forum (he was the first one to confirm that Dogville had English menu and subs). But if you have any extra info please post here.

Here's a short synopsis from the film's screening in Chicago via www.bpiq.com:

"Reconstruction

By Duane Byrge

CHICAGO -- Franz Kafka travels to Bergman-land in "Reconstruction," a startling visual psychodrama that drew overflow audiences at the Festival de Cannes as well as at the Chicago International Film Festival. Manuel Alberto Claro won the Palm d'Or for cinematography and has garnered the same distinction here where "Reconstruction" buzzed its way to sell-out crowds. Palm Pictures could lure similar select-site enthusiasm based on the film's fluently cinematic scopes.

Admittedly, the plotline is merely the surface scratch of deeper probings as Alex (Nikolaj Lie Kaas), a handsome Dane, has a brief nocturnal encounter with Aimee (Maria Bonnevie). Not surprisingly, they're both in other relationships -- he with a devoted girlfriend (also played by Bonnevie), which reaches for obvious "Persona"-like issues, and she with an older writer, played by Max von Sydow. No, wait, it's not von Sydow, but the latest in the line of such Bergman mentor/lovers, re-limned with requisite severity by Nicolas Bro. In this case, the derivative scenario is swirled by facile absurdity: After the affair, Alex's world disappears -- his apartment no longer exits, his friends don't remember him, etc. Soon, the novelty of the story mix wears thin.

Despite the high piffle of the psychology and the arched abstraction of the story line, "Reconstruction" is well crafted. Under director Christoffer Boe's cagey hand, the pacing is sleek and the cinematography evocative. Claro's compositions are vigorously stylish: The sterile hues meld perfectly with the off-kilter framings, creating an emotional mindscape that conveys the scattered nature of lives that have been indelibly altered by this one-time affair.

Reconstruction
Palm Pictures
Nordisk Film, Director's Cut, TV2 Denmark, HR Boe & Co.
Credits:
Producer: Tine Grew Pfieffer
Director: Christoffer Boe
Screenwriters: Christoffer Boe, Mogens Rukov
Co-producers: Lars Akjeldgard, Ake Sandgren
Director of photography: Manuel Alberto Claro
Production designer: Martin de Thurah
Editors: Mikkel E.G. Nielsen, Peter Brandt
Music: Thomas Knak
Costume designer: Gabi Humnicki
Sound mixer: Morten Green
Cast:
Alex: Nikolaj Lie Kaas
Aimee/Simone: Maria Bonnevie
August: Krister Henriksson
Leo: Nicolas Bro
Girl in Metro: Line Poulsen
Running time -- 91 minutes"

Christoffer Boe: Born 1974, Denmark. Graduated in film and media at the University of Copenhagen, 1996, and in direction at the National Film School of Denmark, 2001. His graduation film "Anxiety" received the Prix Decouverte de la Critique Francais as well as the Nordisk Film Award 2001."Reconstruction" is Boe's feature film debut. The film received the prestigious Camera d'Or award at Cannes and was also awarded the Youth Jury Award at the 42nd International Critics' Week (Semaine de la Critique).

Cheers,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 05-09-04 at 01:32 AM.
Old 05-09-04, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Unfortunately there's no english subs on this release.
Old 05-09-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thank's Gunde .....have you actually seen the disc or do you go simply by the back cover? I am aware that the back cover indicates no subs...but so was Kaurismaki's dvd I first saw....

Pro-B
Old 05-09-04, 01:29 PM
Suspended

Although this is not a confirmation either way, the last time i spoke to someone in Finland, it was mentioned that the dvd won't have english subs.

The film is scheduled to release in the U.S. by Palm Pictures on July 14.
Old 05-09-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, bad news indeed!!

My friend Michael from the Danish forum has just sent me an extremely informative and kind email in which he confirms that there are no subs!! BAD NEWS ALL AROUND!!

As Michael also pointed out to me Reconstruction was the film Denmark selected as their Oscar contender this year. I guess we should wait for Palm Pictures' release....

Pro-B
Old 05-09-04, 06:29 PM
Suspended

I was hoping that may be 'Reconstruction' has had a UK premiere in the near past so we can expect a dvd release but it hasn't, the only good thing might be the fact that it is at Palm who usually don't wait 2-3 years to release their films on dvd like Zeitgiest or NewYorker video.
Old 05-09-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
That dude kinda looks like me and he was born the same year... creepy.
Old 05-10-04, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, I thought RECONSTRUCTION has merits, but it's a bit too clever for its own sake. LOVE the map/location finder graphic in the film! Very well-photograhed too. Too bad the protagonist is such a loser that it's a bit hard to realy sympathize with him (it's easier to laugh, in fact).
Old 05-10-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

pro-b,

as usual present good films and this seems to be a must buy for me... $$$

Cheers

DVD Smurf
Old 05-10-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by DVD Smurf
pro-b,

Cheers

DVD Smurf
Thank you for the kind words my dear friend. The more important thing to point out here is that YOU have a very special taste in films....(an excellent one)!!

Pro-B
Old 05-10-04, 04:57 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by DVD Smurf
pro-b,

Pro-b responds,

Thank you for the kind words my dear friend. The more important thing to point out here is that YOU have a very special taste in films....(an excellent one)!!
Come on Pro-b, don't be so modest!!
Old 05-10-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer