Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

HKLegends questions?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

HKLegends questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKLegends questions?

I had placed this in the HK newbies thread a week ago, but got no responses, so I figured I would get it more out into the open with its own thread. So, basically my question concerns 3 of the HKLegends titles, Iron Monkey, Drunken Master and the Killer. I know that they are releasing a Platinum Edition of IM in the next week or so. Does anyone know if this will be uncut? I know a few of their discs are censored, so I don't want to get one that is. In addition, are Drunken Master and the Killer uncensored and since these are also bigger titles for the company, has anyone heard if they might do Platinum Editions of them? Finally, the R1 Columbia-TriStar Drunken Master has a problem with sporadically deteriorated audio tracks for the original Cantonese (or Mandarin, I not sure), does the HKLegends have the complete original audio track. If no one has answers for these, then sorry for the repost, but if you can help me, thanks.
Old 02-27-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have The Killer HKL disk and can say that, yes, it is uncut. The transfer is magnificent compared to the Criterion. I haven't even heard a rumor about a Platinum Edition for it. Personally I don't think it would be warranted. The single disk has a commentary, deleted scenes and interviews. Perhaps the transfer would improve slightly, but it wouldn't be appreciable enough to warrant HKL's investment, at least IMHO.
Old 02-27-04, 11:55 PM

http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/killer3.htm
Old 02-28-04, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 993 Likes on 701 Posts
The HKL version of Drunken Master only features a Mandarin audio track for the same reasons that the r1 has missing portions of the Cantonese track. The Cantonese track was in such bad shape, HKL decided to not use it. The picture is also cropped fron a 2.35:1 ratio to a 16:9 ratio.

HKL has been promising a Platinum edition of Drunken Master (as well as Snake In The Eagle's Shadow) for quite some time now. Apparently they found a complete Cantonese track and have all of the extras lined up, but they're still looking for a better print of the film. I imagine this will be released sooner or later, but it doesn't seem to be a priority, and it could be a long time. In the mean time, the r1 is the best option despite its flaws.