Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

besides HERO, what other Asian DVD to look out for?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

besides HERO, what other Asian DVD to look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,209 Likes on 1,510 Posts
Originally posted by Hendrik
"...If you are talking about HK DVDs of Korean or Japanese films, they most likely would be Region 0..."

...erm... in my experience, HK DVDs of Korean and Japanese (and mainland Chinese, and Taiwanese, and Thai) films are R3 (as ordered from HiViZone)...

...at least that is what it says on the covers... since both my DVD players are "region-free" I don't really know whether they are actually R0... it's possible...

. . . . . .
Hendrik, you're right, I must have had a brain fart when I wrote that. But yes, because of licencing issues, HK DVDs of non HK films have more of a tendency to be R3.

At any rate, due to Japanese DVDs being so high priced (and often lacking English subs), like you said, if there is a R3 alternative, I'm grabbing it (eg. Godzilla:GMK -Japan R2- cost: about 100.00 and no subtitles, HK R3 -cost: about 10.00 with subtitles --OK I'm missing a disc of extras and 5.1 sound, but its not worth an extra 90.00 to me).
Old 03-28-03, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lets see i believe they've been a couple of threads like this

comedy:
attack at gas station
shaolin soccer (some action too)
ping pong
my sassy girl (soooo good)

action:
returner
MUSA
2009 Lost Memories
So Close

martial arts:
drunken master 2
anything jet li not made in america is cool

drama:
uhh..uhh..
Friend
Champion
Failan
dang i dunno lots of good korean ones

horror:
ring
ju on
dark water
Old 04-18-03, 05:04 PM

Can someone post the alternate ending to Infernal Affairs with spoilers warning for those who dont want to read it?
Old 04-18-03, 05:25 PM

The original IA ending is great.
Old 04-18-03, 05:26 PM

Spoiler:
In the mainland version Andy Lau's character gets arrested at the end. The original ending is much better.
Old 04-18-03, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by Prancetron2000
Spoiler:
In the mainland version Andy Lau's character gets arrested at the end. The original ending is much better.
Ya I think I like the original ending better. It is not as cliche.
Old 04-19-03, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Anyone else notice that in general HK movies have been seriously sucking lately? It seems to be a reflection of the state of their economy over the past year and a half or so. I hope things improve. It's like it was starting to get good and then everything went downhill.
Old 04-19-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Anyone else notice that in general HK movies have been seriously sucking lately? It seems to be a reflection of the state of their economy over the past year and a half or so. I hope things improve. It's like it was starting to get good and then everything went downhill.
Maybe it has something to do with all the good HK filmmakers making their way over to Hollywood. There's still a ton of talent in the HK film business though, so maybe it's just a bad year.

Jeremy
Old 04-19-03, 12:03 PM

Hong Kong cinema is currently dominated by pop stars and rich kids who mistakenly believe they can act. Thank God Anthony Wong is still over there; a lot of his movies suck, but at least he himself is worth watching.