DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   besides HERO, what other Asian DVD to look out for? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/281279-besides-hero-what-other-asian-dvd-look-out.html)

IC_Freeze 03-25-03 07:23 PM

besides HERO, what other Asian DVD to look out for?

Well just wondering, anything new this year (2003) worth checking?

Recent movies I've watched and enjoyed:
Il Mare
Ditto
Lovers concerto

thx

Fandango 03-25-03 07:34 PM

Infernal Affairs is great.

tinlunlau 03-25-03 08:28 PM

Originally posted by Fandango
Infernal Affairs is great.
Infernal Affairs is the shiznit, yo!

i'm waiting for "twin effect". hopefully, i'll be able to watch it this summer.

Kumar J 03-25-03 08:39 PM

Get The Returner Special Edition DVD.It's a Japanese action movie with lot's of special effects and gun fight.

IC_Freeze 03-25-03 08:45 PM

hey with infenral affairs i notice 2 different releases, 1 with 1 dvd and the other with 2. Is the 2nd dvd needed?

tinlunlau 03-25-03 09:21 PM

Originally posted by IC_Freeze
hey with infenral affairs i notice 2 different releases, 1 with 1 dvd and the other with 2. Is the 2nd dvd needed?
the only release for "Infernal Affairs" is the 2 disc set from Hong kong, and the mainland chinese version.

if i were you, get the 2 disc set. the mainland release has no english sub's and mandarin dub only.

zuffy 03-25-03 11:18 PM

I believe the 2 discs version has the dual ending.

zuffy 03-25-03 11:19 PM

Re: besides HERO, what other Asian DVD to look out for?

Well just wondering, anything new this year (2003) worth checking?

Recent movies I've watched and enjoyed:
Il Mare
Ditto
Lovers concerto

thx

If you like Il Mare, then you should check out My Sassy Girl (same actress).

Fandango 03-26-03 02:26 AM

Just a thought, the alternate ending to Infernal Affairs is pretty lame IMO.

Trigger 03-26-03 03:08 AM

yeah it is...

zuffy 03-26-03 08:56 AM

Spoiler:
I haven't seen the alternative ending yet but the original ending is lame too.

marty888 03-26-03 11:11 AM

...which probably explains why they didn't use it. -wink-

dleedlee 03-26-03 12:26 PM

The alternate ending is _the_ ending for the mainland release.

http://www.hkentreview.com/pages/ianotes.html

Fandango 03-26-03 02:57 PM

zuffy, if you thought the original ending is lame I don't know what you will think of the alternate one.

iskandam 03-26-03 03:33 PM

the alternate ending feels like it was added just as an afterthought. It totally ruins an otherwise tight movie

Leon Liew 03-26-03 04:54 PM

Try the Korean epic WUSA THE WARRIOR SE with Zhang Ziyi
you'll love it.

Fandango 03-26-03 05:38 PM

you mean MUSA right?

zuffy 03-26-03 06:16 PM

zuffy, if you thought the original ending is lame I don't know what you will think of the alternate one.
I will know when I get my DVD back from my cousin :)

tinlunlau 03-26-03 07:42 PM

anybody shop at Pacific Mall?
i'd like to know if i could even play those korean and japanese dvd's they have upstairs. i'm tempted to check out "Returner".

cultshock 03-26-03 09:39 PM

Tinlunlau,
I've bought some HK DVDs at the Pacific mall. If you are talking about HK DVDs of Korean or Japanese films, they most likely would be Region 0 so you could play them.

The one bad thing about the Pacific Mall is that alot of the vendors there sell bootleg DVDs. Just watch out for prices that are a little too cheap and take a careful look at the quality of the cover art (many look blatantly like color photocopies). I stick to a few stores there that I know sell legitimate DVDs.

Fandango 03-26-03 10:22 PM

If the Returner is a legit DVD it will be a region 2 disc.

Hendrik 03-27-03 12:10 AM

"...If you are talking about HK DVDs of Korean or Japanese films, they most likely would be Region 0..."

...erm... in my experience, HK DVDs of Korean and Japanese (and mainland Chinese, and Taiwanese, and Thai) films are R3 (as ordered from HiViZone)...

...at least that is what it says on the covers... since both my DVD players are "region-free" I don't really know whether they are actually R0... it's possible...

. . . :o . . .

tinlunlau 03-27-03 12:56 AM

i can tell which are legit and which aren't. i know it's a direct bootleg of the japanese/korean dvd's. but they're still packaged nicely and some of them are hard to find titles. "Returner" costs $16.99 in Pacific Mall. seems like a good price to me.

i've been trying to look for "Ping Pong" on DVD but with no luck.

Kumar J 03-27-03 01:39 AM

Japanese Legit DVD's never cost that cheap!I can only find prices above $30 or $30 for the Japanese releases.For Returner it's got soo much extras and DTS sound the price is surely very expensive

Hendrik 03-27-03 04:11 AM

"Japanese Legit DVD's never cost that cheap!..."

...Returner... single disc = 4800 Yen / double disc (OOP!) = 5800 Yen...

...BUT... and yet... howver... (perfectly legitimate!) HK releases of Japanese movies (coded R3 - unlike the Japanese Japanese discs, which are coded R2)
are cheaper... it's just a fact of life that nearly everything in Japan costs an arm and a leg - including DVDs...

. . . :o . . .