Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Which players do best PAL=>NTSC for INTERLACED TVs?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-03, 07:20 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have HDTV yet, but I'm interesting in buying a dvd player with PAL to NTSC conversion. It seems that players with the Mediamatics chip are the best bet for HDTV owners...But since the Mediamatics chip is designed specifically FOR progressive scan, are these players the best solution for those of us who have old interlaced TVs?

Do machines without the Mediamatics chip actually do a better job for interlaced TVs? If so, do they do an appreciably better job? And if so, which machines do you think are best?

I apologize if this is considered a double topic, but I've been researching this for hours (here and at nerd-out) and can't really find any threads that really deal specifically with this question.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by boutitboutit; 03-12-03 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-12-03, 10:56 PM

Re: Which players do best PAL=>NTSC for INTERLACED TVs?

Originally posted by boutitboutit
I don't have HDTV yet, but I'm interesting in buying a dvd player with PAL to NTSC conversion. It seems that players with the Mediamatics chip are the best bet for HDTV owners...But since the Mediamatics chip is designed specifically FOR progressive scan, are these players the best solution for those of us who have old interlaced TVs?
If your PAL viewing interest is STRICTLY films (not TV shows), then you can swing it with a Mediamatics player in interlaced mode. Most PAL-films will be fine, but be ready for occasional combs. Some PAL-films that are improperly flagged will shimmer badly.

If you want to watch any PAL-video material (i.e. TV shows, documentaries, shot on video material), forget about Mediamatics. In fact, MM is pretty bad for interlaced NTSC-video too.

Do machines without the Mediamatics chip actually do a better job for interlaced TVs?
Yes.

If so, do they do an appreciably better job? And if so, which machines do you think are best?
There isn't any great interlaced solution, as far as I know. PAL to NTSC progressive is fairly straightforward. It's the interlacing that usually screws everything up.

The Cyberhome CH-500 and CH-402 perform reasonably well with PAL->NTSC interlaced. PAL-film usually looks great. With PAL-video, you're still bound to get some shimmering. However, it's slight compared to using a Mediamatics. Overall, the Cyberhome's conversions are very watchable. If mine hadn't blown up I'd check it out some more.

If I were you I'd look into the new Malatas that don't use Mediamatics - the 566, and 500. I'm not sure what they can do, but it might be worth checking out.

Last edited by paranoized; 03-12-03 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-13-03, 08:29 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks, Paranoized. I knew it'd be you that had the answer.

In fact, MM is pretty bad for interlaced NTSC-video too.

Would this apply to, say, an R1 Pixar movie or "Star Wars Episode II"?

Cyberhomes are so inexpensive, I think I might go ahead and swing for both a CH-500 and a Mediamatics chip Malata player. I hear that the image on CH can be a bit dark. It might be nice to have the option of the two players to see which performs best for any given DVD. Sacrificing a bit of combing for a brighter picture with more vivid colors may be more desirable in some cases.

Besides, the scaling and zooming features with the Malata are too tempting. I was watching "Contempt" and "Playtime" (Criterion) this week and several scenes were badly overscanned on my TV. These things are important to me and the Malata might be worth having to watch most NTSC films, regardless of region...And the Cyberhome would be a very cheap solution to my PAL=>NTSC needs until I finally take the plunge and splurge on an HDTV.

Just thinking out loud. Sorry.

Last edited by boutitboutit; 03-13-03 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-13-03, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by boutitboutit
Thanks, Paranoized. I knew it'd be you that had the answer.

Would this apply to, say, an R1 Pixar movie or "Star Wars Episode II"?
No. Those should be fine.

I hear that the image on CH can be a bit dark.
It is dark, and there's definitely a red push on both the 500/402. Anyone who claims these players have great picture quality should see an optometrist immediately. An old Sony s300 smokes them both.

Besides, the scaling and zooming features with the Malata are too tempting. I was watching "Contempt" and "Playtime" (Criterion) this week and several scenes were badly overscanned on my TV.
I'm always hearing about people wanting a Malata to "combat overscan." Really, if a significant amount of picture information is being cut off due to overscan, deal with it at the source - the TV. Why not have ALL your video sources look their best, instead of being dependent on a particular player?
Old 03-13-03, 10:40 AM
Cool New Member

Really, if a significant amount of picture information is being cut off due to overscan, deal with it at the source - the TV. Why not have ALL your video sources look their best, instead of being dependent on a particular player?
Of course you're absolutely correct. I need to pony up the cash and get HDTV. I'm just looking for solutions until I get the money saved up and decide on a model...and your answers have been very helpful, so thank you much.
Old 03-14-03, 03:22 PM

Thanks paranoized!

I just wanted to say thanks for your Mediamatics FAQ (and now the info in this thread as well). It saved me from making a big mistake by buying a Mediamatics-based JVC, since the majority of my DVDs are video-sourced (including many PAL-video).

Sounds like the Cyberhome is out too, as you say it displays shimmering on PAL-video.

My current player is a Daewoo 5800, which I haven't seen any shimmering with, but it does have a significant red push. I'd like to get something that doesn't for my next player. Is there a list anywhere of which players do and do not have a red push?

Last edited by bghill; 03-15-03 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-14-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
One of my big drooling-points in getting a region-free player was to buy lots of obscure BBC TV shows...

Now it seems that they're gonna suck no matter what player I get...

Is there anything out there that does a good job with PAL video?
Old 03-18-03, 05:00 PM

Bump
Old 04-27-03, 10:14 PM

bump